Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Basically i wanted to know

which is the best type of accomodation for an aston fresher

somewhere lively, diverse, sociable and "the place to be for freshers"

ReputationRep:
    standard is slightly more sociable than lakeside, but a lot more ghetto.

ReputationRep:
    I believe 'the place to be for freshers' is in the towers as recommended by my open day student ambassadaor

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it doesn't matter. It's not designated to a specific place, it's what you do that counts!

ReputationRep:
    You would probably want to avoid low rise though, not because it's any worse than the towers but it's fairly quiet there, and sucks if you are on the ground floor with everyone walking past your window.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in low-rise accommodation in my first year and loved it! Anywhere is sociable as long as you invite people over.
    If you were going to choose a tower, I would go for Lawrence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    standard is slightly more sociable than lakeside, but a lot more ghetto.
    Are you serious?? I really don't want to live at Uni and find myself in a ghetto style community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Are you serious?? I really don't want to live at Uni and find myself in a ghetto style community.
    Nah not really. It just doesn't always look that appealing compared to Lakeside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Well it isn't comparable to Harlem, if that's what you mean. Have you visited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Nah not really. It just doesn't always look that appealing compared to Lakeside.
    appealing in terms of?

Well I hope you're right, I already live in a 'ghetto', I didnt want to transfer to another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Well it isn't comparable to Harlem, if that's what you mean. Have you visited?
    Ye I've visited Aston. Just get increasingly suspicious about the comments on here. Today I read it's 'ghetto'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    appealing in terms of?

Well I hope you're right, I already live in a 'ghetto', I didnt want to transfer to another one.
    Looking at the accomm I suppose. I guess you could say it looks that way but I wouldn't say it feels that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Ye I've visited Aston. Just get increasingly suspicious about the comments on here. Today I read it's 'ghetto'.
    It's bad accommodation. I could have dealt with it in my first year (luckily I didn't have to) but past that I would find it impacting negatively on my university experience. Obviously, other people like it though.

My girlfriend start off finding Stafford ok this year, but quickly started to dislike it in the second term (I think maybe triggered by getting used to my accommodation). By the end of the third term, most conversations about Stafford were rather negative. She also showed people round her flat on behalf of the university, and the vast majority of feedback she got was negative.

It is a major blot on an otherwise great campus, however the important thing is that the university is moving to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    great ******* great.

so what is it about it that makes it crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    great ******* great.

Personally I wouldn't take what anyone says too seriously cos everyone's experiences vary. Some people don't like the look of the accomm, don't like too much noise like myself or don't get on with who they're put with. Others really enjoy it though and I've heard more people say they loved living in standard than hated it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    great ******* great.

Mate, i wouldn't worry too much until you've gotten there and experienced it yourself. At the end of the day, it's a place to sleep, do work and eat. The rest of the time, if you really don't like it, you can go out and get absolutely **** faced (if that's your kinda thing) and just enjoy yourself. Oh, and it'll only be for 39 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    ye lol i'm not letting it take over me or anything, but IRL and on here lately I've heard some stuff about Aston that wasn't good so I guess you could say I'm just being sceptical ... although I definitely will make an opinion for myself of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    ye lol i'm not letting it take over me or anything, but IRL and on here lately I've heard some stuff about Aston that wasn't good so I guess you could say I'm just being sceptical ... although I definitely will make an opinion for myself of course!
    You're gonna here that about anything though. It's like with my new job- people talk about how good it is but at the same time they say about how **** some of the translator's resources are and how much better they could be.

ReputationRep:
    Ye I know, it just sounds like there's social barriers around which is dragging down or holding back the reputation of Aston ... of course I could be very wrong.

I'm going to go there with an open mind, like I said just a bit sceptical. That sort of contradicts itself haha, but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Ye I know, it just sounds like there's social barriers around which is dragging down or holding back the reputation of Aston ... of course I could be very wrong.

I'm going to go there with an open mind, like I said just a bit sceptical. That sort of contradicts itself haha, but still.
    Not really, I think that's just the general "Lakeside is antisocial/snobby" thing that goes around. You do get some people are up their own but I haven't really experienced a lot of social barriers and I'm not much of a people person!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.