Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, what if your boyfriend let himself go? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a few threads flying around recently about guys and their girlfriends figures. What do you think of your girlfriends figure, My girlfriend has gained weight etc. But what about us blokes.

What are your opinions of your boyfriends body?
    If he did start to let himself go and gain a few pounds, or perhaps a lot more, would it bother you ?

If it did bother you, would you tell him. And is it more acceptable for a girl to confront her boyfriend on this issue then the other way round?

Does this issue even apply to us, the same as it may do for girls ?

Personally, although looks aren't everything, they are definitely important. So when your in a relationship, surely its only fair that you try to look decent for your partner and for them to return the favour ?

ReputationRep:
    From my perspective i would like to have a nicely worded comment from someone i trusted rather then some stranger that i needed to sort myself out.

ReputationRep:
    I did comment to my boyfriend saying, awww you poor thing you lost weight.

HAvent you been going to the gym lately? Awww you used to love doing that..!

Encouragment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    I've noticed a few threads flying around recently about guys and their girlfriends figures. What do you think of your girlfriends figure, My girlfriend has gained weight etc. But what about us blokes.

What are your opinions of your boyfriends body?
    If he did start to let himself go and gain a few pounds would it bother you ?

If it did bother you, would you tell him. And is it more acceptable for a girl to confront her boyfriend on this issue then the other way round?

Does this issue even apply to us, the same as it may do for girls ?

Personally, although looks aren't everything, they are definitely important. So when your in a relationship, surely its only fair that you try to look decent for your partner and for them to return the favour ?
    I think guys are slightly more "ooh look at you gained a few pounds", than i say a girl may be. But that is obviously a generalisation.. but its what I gather in my experience

ReputationRep:
    Depends to the extent of letting himself go...I mean a few pounds is ok...but on the scale of obesity I would tell him to get off his fat ass and lose some damn weight!
    And he has to dress well, smell nice and shower often - if not he can fack off

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't bother me at all I would still find him attractive. I would only say something if he got to an unhealthy weight.

ReputationRep:
    If he let himself go that would probably bother me a little bit... but I can't really see myself saying anything about it to him. I'm pretty sure he'd be aware of it so no need to bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really imagine my boyfriend like that tbh as he's quite skinny at the moment, so any weight gain would look good. If he got too podgy I'd probably suggest we get healthy and work out together as I'm not exactly Twiggy myself in the last year or so, but he's taken to not doing his hair and not shaving recently and it's really beginning to get on my nerves.

It's nice when boys make an effort but I think sometimes they don't think they have to.

ReputationRep:
    I would tell him to get himself together and stop mistreating his body, I don't see why that would be considered a "bad/shallow" thing.

ReputationRep:
    It's much easier to say "Go get some ******* exercise, you fat *******" to a man than it is to a woman, so I can't imagine tremendous problems

ReputationRep:
    Man, no matter how hard i try, i dont gain any weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver_lace)
    It wouldn't bother me at all I would still find him attractive. I would only say something if he got to an unhealthy weight.
    Pretty much this.

I disagree with the notion that telling a girl she's getting to be a bit of a fatty is so much worse than saying it to a guy. It's more the type of person you are. It can have disastrous effects on self confidence to whoever it's said to, regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's so skinny anyway, that I don't think it'd hurt him if he put some weight on. I think it might actually be quite nice to see him with a bit more weight on, in a way!

ReputationRep:
    If a few pounds would make or break my relationship, I would not have liked him enough to go out with him in the first place.
    If I really thought it was beginning to be a problem, I'd suggest we start going to the gym together. I would never, ever make a negative comment about his appearance.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's too skinny so I'm trying to encourage him to put on some weight, not because I think he'll look better, but because it's a bit unhealthy for him to be so thin. But he wants to gain weight too, so it's fine. If he turned out a bit chunky I'd poke his love handles but I wouldn't mind. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerpentineLara)
    I would tell him to get himself together and stop mistreating his body, I don't see why that would be considered a "bad/shallow" thing.
    But would you expect the same in return ?

ReputationRep:
    Providing he was still fairly healthy and could do everything he wanted to do... like football once a week or whatever (I tend to get with people who have active hobbies), then I probably wouldn't even notice if he gained a few pounds. If he started to become unhealthy I would ask him if he fancied improving his fitness with me etc. I know that my boyfriend wouldn't be offended by that

ReputationRep:
    I am quite skinny so weight gain wouldn't be the end of the world :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My ex wouldn't shut up about my skinniness and she'd constantly try and get me to eat. I told her to **** off, it's my body. I don't have to do anything for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Depends to the extent of letting himself go...I mean a few pounds is ok...but on the scale of obesity I would tell him to get off his fat ass and lose some damn weight!
    And he has to dress well, smell nice and shower often - if not he can fack off
    Fack off? Love it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.