Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've started working at McDonalds as a crew member for about 3 weeks and after only a day at kitchen, I was put on to do lobby permanently. I have to do everything what I understood a customer care assistant does: cleaning tables/floor, cleaning toilets, changing bins, making and handing out ballopns as well as 'detailed cleaning tasks.' Yet I'm still paid £4.80 but a customer care assistant's pay according to the McD website is £5.75. I've asked to be moved to kitchen/till as I absolutely hate working at lobby (annoying customer care manager and having to clean up vomit, as well as the chavs) but they've said it will be 'some time' before I will be moved. As I'm leaving for uni in september, I somehow doubt that they will bother to move me in time.
    I'm wondering if this is normal practice at other McDonald's restaurants?

Also, how does the payday system work? Are you meant to collect a payslip directly from the managers every 2 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Basically, I've started working at McDonalds as a crew member for about 3 weeks and after only a day at kitchen, I was put on to do lobby permanently. I have to do everything what I understood a customer care assistant does: cleaning tables/floor, cleaning toilets, changing bins, making and handing out ballopns as well as 'detailed cleaning tasks.' Yet I'm still paid £4.80 but a customer care assistant's pay according to the McD website is £5.75. I've asked to be moved to kitchen/till as I absolutely hate working at lobby (annoying customer care manager and having to clean up vomit, as well as the chavs) but they've said it will be 'some time' before I will be moved. As I'm leaving for uni in september, I somehow doubt that they will bother to move me in time.

Also, how does the payday system work? Are you meant to collect a payslip directly from the managers every 2 weeks?
    I don't know about the exact system but, from a legal point of view, if it's not part of your duties then you shouldn't be doing that. I'd raise it with a manager. However, if you don't have a contract then you could still raise it but you'd have to be more careful as you wouldn't have any legal backing.

ReputationRep:

You need to speak to your manager and tell him that you're not happy with the way things are - they're the only ones who could sort it out.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a contract I think it's reasonable to be asked to carry out tasks which are different to what was originally intended. For example on many job description forms you will se something along the lines of 'This list is by no means exhaustive'. What might be unfair, however, is the difference in pay like you mentioned. So it would be worth checking out, especially if you are not happy.

Talk to your manager, ask them anything you want to know... don't be afraid to let them know what you expect.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you dont usually have an explicit contract with McD's, they give you the job they need you to do, or are best at. Like I started with 3 lads and I got put on tills and they were on cooking.

They used to put our payslips in the crew room when I worked in McD's many years ago... (2 )

ReputationRep:
    I work at mcds as a crew member too... As we dont hav contracts, they can ask you to do anything! I absolutely hate lobby too, but thankfully I work mostly on tills. Best thing to do is talk to ur manager, also about the pay aswell!
    Nd yes you're supposed to collect your payslip every two weeks. Hope it goes well! x

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I'd demand a contract first if you don't have one! :yes: I wouldn't like to work without one...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the people who worked on the shop floor were paid exactly the same unless they had some sort of manager or supervisor position! Personally I always prefered working on the floor, I despised being on the till!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    I don't know about the exact system but, from a legal point of view, if it's not part of your duties then you shouldn't be doing that. I'd raise it with a manager. However, if you don't have a contract then you could still raise it but you'd have to be more careful as you wouldn't have any legal backing.
    The thing is the managers (both shift manager and customer care manager) know, as they are the ones who put me on the lobby in the first place.

I'm wondering if anyone else who works on lobby has to do these 'detailed cleaning tasks' as well? These include cleaning about 80 ceiling lights or cleaning all the wall tiles...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's normal practice for someone who has not been there long and is going to leave. At the end of my rein of bar work at university I noticed I was getting fewer hours in the final weeks and one manager even took half my shifts away because of "health and safety" (regarding back-to-back shifts, even though many do it including her own brother who she gave all my shifts to).

At the end of the day, it aint great. But I think the best you can do is at least stick with it for the money and keep a smile on your face if possible! Just try and think outside of the situation when doing crappy tasks and try and challenge yourself on random things like cleaning something up the quickest ever or so! May help

But they know you are leaving (I assume? or perhaps they are assuming this) so they see you as disposable!

ReputationRep:

You need to complete the customer care course before you get the customer care pay rate.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you had a job description, it would more than likely have "other tasks as required for the needs of the business" stuck onto the end of it, or something to that effect, so I'd say you'll just have to grin and bear it, I'm afraid :o:

ReputationRep:

Well firstly I think you're lucky to even have a job in this current economic climate lol. I assume you're under 21 if you're going to uni, so the amount you are getting paid is above the minimum wage for this age group. Also, the way payslips are dealt with varies from company to company. One place I worked at posted them to me monthly, and another threw all payslips in a giant box and you had to sift through it to find your own. I know it's annoying not enjoying, but just think of the money, and you can leave a few months a bit richer

EDIT: I've noticed a lot of places that say that hourly salary is around 5.75 tend to be like that because they are expecting over 21s to be employed (their minimum wage is £5.73 ph). These employers are cheeky because they will always try to pay you minimum wage

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually employed to be on lobby! Crew Members are necessary to us to help out sometimes

Take it up with your manager and see what they say. You may have to grin and bear it for a while. I recommend taking Jelly Tots into your supply cupboard thing. Every time a customer annoys you, have one and enjoy the sugaryness

All of ours are in a massive lunchbox. Not fun looking through billions of them to find your own

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.