Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like a horrible friend but what else can i do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The reason i feel like a horrible friend is becuase my best friend in the last few months has started to realllllyyy annoy me.. she has started drinking loads and only seems to go on about what she did when she was drunk and herself and i'm just realising now how selfish she is!
    I never used to talk about her behind her back ever becuase i know that always ends badly but i decided to confide in another friend about how it was annoying me and now talking about this best friend has became a regular occurance... and i hate it!
    Although now me and the the friend i talk about my best friend to have become soo close and my best friend is getting jelous... although this is just showing me how selfish she is..

I'm sorry this is soo confusing but i just wanted some advice on what to do next... should i tell my best friend about whats been annoying me and that ive said stuff to this other friend and i feel bad ( i havent did this sooner because she takes stuff right to heart and last time i confronted her about her drinking she went *******)
    or should i just try and keep my annoyances about her to myself and pretend like everythings okay.

For whoever can understand above^^^ lol help would be very much appreciated its just i feel like such a bad friend for ****ging her off all the time and want it to stop somehow!

ReputationRep:
    i was in that exact same situation you know. this time a couple of years ago. i'm the baby of the year, so my friends were all 18 before me, my best friend was one of the first (bdy in november) and all she would talk about was how drunk she was the night before and how it was hilarious that she threw up in a beer glass that the waitress then had to clean up (:lolwut:)

tbh i just left her to it. she wasn't going to change and had started finding others like her, i made other friends and moved on. it helps that i could move onto uni though. . .

if you think talking to her would help then go for it. my friend wouldn't have reacted well to that but had she been different i might have tried it. but she will be defensive,i doubt she will see any problem wiht how she is actig and instead will be angry with you and your new friend

ReputationRep:
    I'd either just carry on ****ging her off if she's annoying or just tell her if you think she'd accept it. Personally I'd just ditch her. I wouldn't want to be around someone who annoyed me.

ReputationRep:
    The reason i feel like a horrible friend is becuase my best friend in the last few months has started to realllllyyy annoy me.. she has started drinking loads and only seems to go on about what she did when she was drunk and herself and i'm just realising now how selfish she is!
    I never used to talk about her behind her back ever becuase i know that always ends badly but i decided to confide in another friend about how it was annoying me and now talking about this best friend has became a regular occurance... and i hate it!
    Although now me and the the friend i talk about my best friend to have become soo close and my best friend is getting jelous... although this is just showing me how selfish she is..

I'm sorry this is soo confusing but i just wanted some advice on what to do next... should i tell my best friend about whats been annoying me and that ive said stuff to this other friend and i feel bad ( i havent did this sooner because she takes stuff right to heart and last time i confronted her about her drinking she went *******)
    or should i just try and keep my annoyances about her to myself and pretend like everythings okay.

For whoever can understand above^^^ lol help would be very much appreciated its just i feel like such a bad friend for ****ging her off all the time and want it to stop somehow!
    jesus christ that situation is scarily like mine!
    im not going to type out loads of stuff here but feel free to PM me anytime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer of 69)
    jesus christ that situation is scarily like mine!
    im not going to type out loads of stuff here but feel free to PM me anytime!
    Thats soo comforting you wouldnt even believe it. I've been beating myself up for ages about it so its nice to know i;m not the only one in this situation

ReputationRep:
    People change.
    I know a couple of friends/acquaintences who have started to become more lewd/rowdy/alcohol-ish now they've gotten older - it's just a fact of life.
    Others will remain sensible, while some will come to their senses and realise what dicks they're making of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda in the same situation as you except my friend lies about going out and getting drunk - even when I'm with her she will pretend to be wasted - and if I pull her up about it because she's only had like 1 drink she will lie saying she was drinking before it, when I know she wasn't at all! Sooo annoying
    But to be honest in the last few weeks since it's summer I don't need to see her everyday like at school so I just haven't bothered texting or phoning her
    It's a shame I guess since we were friends for 13 years and now she is changing herself to try and seem popular (she try to act like the "popular" girls) - started getting spray tans - fake nails - to sit in her house or go to the shop with her mum I mean c'mon - fair enough if you're going out but she doesn't.
    So yeah I'm going to just lose contact with her - can't be friends with someone who annoys the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    it's surprising how many people turn out to be like this (like your friend i mean) when drinking becomes legal/accessible
    a lot of my friends went through a phase like that, most just got over it once the novelty wore off, though some didnt, but its probably best to just leave her to it, you've got better people to hang around with

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends started going out drinking at 16/17 so I haven't been in this situation, but, if you ***** about your friend this much you have to either tell her, or not be friends with her anymore. You obv know you can get away with *****ing about her, so you have to change the situation. Friends drift apart at this age, so if you can see the friendship not going on for much longer anyway you might as well break it all off now.

ReputationRep:
    if shes never going to change (the selfishness) shes not worth it, let her get on with it and find friends that are more suited to what you are interested in. I had a friend who did the same and i have just left college and said good riddance to her, if she wants to ruin her liver and think its fun and really cool thats fine by me! Though it didnt help that she was also a compulsive liar and made nasty rumours about me behind my back. You sound like your closer to this other friend you confided in, and being able to confide is one of the biggest thing about friendship, not to mention being able to slap each other round the face and say what the hell are you doing to yourself when you lose it abit like this girl has...which you dont seem to have with her anymore. Find a friend that will be more appreciative of your help if you try to give it and not blow up, and also one that will respect your feelings and apologize if she blatantly annoys you - i always apologize to my friends after i have been drunk and disorderly the previous evening!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.