Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recently I've found myself to be getting stressed by such silly things which I partly attibute to living at home where the atmosphere is so uptight. I love going round my friend's houses because they're parents are so chilled out, and they are able to discuss boyfriends, alcohol and almost anything with no embarrasment. When I'm out I should expect at least 10 missed called from my mum. When I get home there is almost always a big grilling about something or other.

So, how chilled out are you? Your family? Do your parents stress about the silly things? Or could they not care less about rules and regulations?

ReputationRep:
    Your mum needs to back off, how old are you? 5?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very chilled. My parents, not so much, but they are learning to adapt

ReputationRep:
    Not very at all. No rules but a lot of stress.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I've found myself to be getting stressed by such silly things which I partly attibute to living at home where the atmosphere is so uptight. I love going round my friend's houses because they're parents are so chilled out, and they are able to discuss boyfriends, alcohol and almost anything with no embarrasment. When I'm out I should expect at least 10 missed called from my mum. When I get home there is almost always a big grilling about something or other.

So, how chilled out are you? Your family? Do your parents stress about the silly things? Or could they not care less about rules and regulations?
    im very chilled out.
    but my family isn't at all. its like ******* pressure cooker in my house

roll on uni

ReputationRep:
    Pretty chilled - radiator's broken and it's quite nippy here.

ReputationRep:
    Room temperature.

I'm probably one of the most chilled out people you'll ever meet. I'm calm in stressful situations, deal with tough decisions without getting stressed, chill other people out when things get on top of them etc etc... but my mum makes me want to put my head through a window

She smashed plates and through sunday dinner in th bin just because I made gravy different to how she would do it.

She lied to me and then had a screaming fit at me when I didn't stick up for her.

She twists arguments, gossips about me to family and causes arguments between family members.

When I need advice/a hug/info, she turns it round and makes out I'm stupid/a *****/pathetic.

It's got to the point where I don't actually dare to be sitting down when she walks in from work, I switch my laptop off every time she comes near my room and I try to get out the house as much as possible because I know that if I don't she will lose it with me.

So with my mum, no, I'm never EVER chilled out.

I actually wanted to make a thread about this asking for advice but I can't think of anything I could do to help the situation so decided against it.

Sorry if I hijacked a bit, just felt the need to explain...

ReputationRep:
    According to my friends and family... if i was any more laid-back i'd be horizontal. :yep:
    I dont give a **** about alot of things.. but i do get stressed when it comes to exams etc.. otherwise... yeah. who cares?

im very chilled out.
    but my family isn't at all. its like ******* pressure cooker in my house

roll on uni
    Lol same here!

I just like to be spontaneous now and then but my mum just isn't....

Even cooking a meal in the kitchen is accompanied by nagging and screaming and drama.

I just want a free relaxed household!

ReputationRep:
    I'm very chilled, my parents are extremely chilled also. They let me get on with things.

ReputationRep:
    On a scale of 1 to 10, i'd say i'm a 1.

I'm probably one of the most chilled out people you'll ever meet. I'm calm in stressful situations, deal with tough decisions without getting stressed, chill other people out when things get on top of them etc etc... but my mum makes me want to put my head through a window

She smashed plates and through sunday dinner in th bin just because I made gravy different to how she would do it.

She lied to me and then had a screaming fit at me when I didn't stick up for her.

She twists arguments, gossips about me to family and causes arguments between family members.

When I need advice/a hug/info, she turns it round and makes out I'm stupid/a *****/pathetic.

It's got to the point where I don't actually dare to be sitting down when she walks in from work, I switch my laptop off every time she comes near my room and I try to get out the house as much as possible because I know that if I don't she will lose it with me.

So with my mum, no, I'm never EVER chilled out.

I actually wanted to make a thread about this asking for advice but I can't think of anything I could do to help the situation so decided against it.

Sorry if I hijacked a bit, just felt the need to explain...
    OMG exactly the same here. No joke, I am great around other people but she makes me so depressed. She is very pessimistic and moody and it is so hard to deal with her. I think your mum is depressed. Is she single or with your dad? My mum is down about lots of things, but then I know people who have been through much worse who remain positive and happy. Sometimes it feels like I am the mum, not her.

Lol same here!

I just like to be spontaneous now and then but my mum just isn't....

Even cooking a meal in the kitchen is accompanied by nagging and screaming and drama.

I just want a free relaxed household!
    i wouldnt say i have it that bad.
    but my dad is a moaning stresspot who thins everyone should think his way, and my brother is an annoying immature, obnoxious bi polar 15yo who makes no effort to get along

Haha, my household has never been chilled. No one gets along and it's impossible to communicate without shouting and getting stressed. Completely dysfunctional.

ReputationRep:
    I pretty chilled out
    But my mum isn't - she just worries about me when I'm out (mainly just when I'm in town in the dancing - because of drunk men :P so to avoid her worrying and thus phoning/texting me many times :P: - I just need to text her every once in a while so she knows where I am and that I'm safe
    Which I don't mind tbh even though it's annoying It's nice that she care and if something ever did happen (hairy wood) at least that way she would know where I was beforehand

ReputationRep:
    Not chilled at all, I'm always worrying about something, it's quite annoying. Also my home environment is quite stressful as I have to help out 24-7.

Socially I'm very chilled; academically not. It's rather sad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very chilled. Unfortunately my brother is a cretin...

ReputationRep:
    i don't see the point in getting angry or stressed so i don't
    i recently moved back to my parents' house where it's world war 3, 4 and 5 between my parents and brother, but i don't let it get to me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.