Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [...]

Sorry for the rant... To sum up, not sure whether to apply this year or not.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you've not got much work experience, what I'd say is do a gap year without actually applying this year (it's unlikely you'd get a place anyway, I think) and then you'll have a year to prepare, see if it's for you etc. You may then have an advantage, you can get a lot of work experience in during your A2 year and have more time to prepare for uni during your gap year. What I'd say is talk to your teachers about applying, write the bits of the personal statement you CAN write, and ask your teachers about references. A month is more than enough to prepare for the UKCAT, but the actual medical application cannot be rushed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Well if you've not got much work experience, what I'd say is do a gap year without actually applying this year (it's unlikely you'd get a place anyway, I think) and then you'll have a year to prepare, see if it's for you etc. You may then have an advantage, you can get a lot of work experience in during your A2 year and have more time to prepare for uni during your gap year. What I'd say is talk to your teachers about applying, write the bits of the personal statement you CAN write, and ask your teachers about references. A month is more than enough to prepare for the UKCAT, but the actual medical application cannot be rushed.
    Yeah, Ive also heard you're in a better position applying with 'grades in hand' so to speak, rather than predicted grades.

You reckon there's a point in applying for anything at all this UCAS cycle, like, if I somehow decide in a year's time I dont want to do medicine nor take a gap year. Obviously I'd rather not get to that stage, but Im the type who likes to have a backup. Maybe chemistry/biochemistry?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shayke)
    Yeah, Ive also heard you're in a better position applying with 'grades in hand' so to speak, rather than predicted grades.

You reckon there's a point in applying for anything at all this UCAS cycle, like, if I somehow decide in a year's time I dont want to do medicine nor take a gap year. Obviously I'd rather not get to that stage, but Im the type who likes to have a backup. Maybe chemistry/biochemistry?

Thanks!
    Well I suppose you have nothing to lose, except a bit of time for the applications andd what not and the admissions tests. Though don't get disheartened if it doesn't all go to plan because yours is a unique case and you may end up being best to take a gap year. Also, some places (I know for certain UCL does, not sure if anywhere else does really but I haven't really checked :unsure:) may give you a deferred offer, for example, if they think you'll be ready for medicine after a gap year. Or, of course, you could apply for deferred yourself but sometimes it ends up more difficult to get offers that way, I'm not sure on that though.

ReputationRep:
    I would be inclined to lie about the work experience etc (use other peoples experiences as your own) and apply now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I make a decision on something else, like chemistry, then seem to all of a sudden decide i definitely want to do medicine. Then after a few days, I wake up one morning and think, I don't wanna do it... I hate myself for it.

I know for a fact I would absolutely LOVE to study medicine. However, wouldn't necessarily want to be a doctor. Unfortunately, by applying, they treat your application as not only an application to the course, but as an application to become a doctor as well...

But yeah, don't know where I stand whatsoever. Just, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I make a decision on something else, like chemistry, then seem to all of a sudden decide i definitely want to do medicine. Then after a few days, I wake up one morning and think, I don't wanna do it... I hate myself for it.

I know for a fact I would absolutely LOVE to study medicine. However, wouldn't necessarily want to be a doctor. Unfortunately, by applying, they treat your application as not only an application to the course, but as an application to become a doctor as well...

Of course they do! Do you know how much it costs to train medical students. Fair enough people start the course and then change their minds but why start the course knowing it isn't what you want to do?

Why do you want to study medicine? :confused: :confused:

The mind boggles...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Of course they do! Do you know how much it costs to train medical students. Fair enough people start the course and then change their minds but why start the course knowing it isn't what you want to do?

Why do you want to study medicine? :confused: :confused:

The mind boggles...
    Yeah I know, hard to explain.

Im the type who likes learning about the body and that sort of thing. The type who'll watch live surgery and download dissection/anatomy videos just because it interests me.

But I cannot decide whether or not I should go for it. I have no idea what makes me so indecisive and sorry to come across as a jackass who has no idea about the medical app procedure and whatnot. I do know what it takes, what needs to be done, and I would like to study it, that's a certain.

But I don't know whether its better for me, as a person, to do something else, like chemistry.

I'm not good at commitment. And by saying, Im going to not go to uni next year, I'm going to take a gap year and then apply for medicine. Well, that's a pretty big commitment/decision. And my mind changes by the hour aha. While I feel medicine is something I could commit to, I dunno, I guess I'm just scared in a way that it'll be the end of the world if I don't apply for something this UCAS cycle.

argh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, hard to explain.

Im the type who likes learning about the body and that sort of thing. The type who'll watch live surgery and download dissection/anatomy videos just because it interests me.

But I cannot decide whether or not I should go for it. I have no idea what makes me so indecisive and sorry to come across as a jackass who has no idea about the medical app procedure and whatnot. I do know what it takes, what needs to be done, and I would like to study it, that's a certain.

But I don't know whether its better for me, as a person, to do something else, like chemistry.

I'm not good at commitment. And by saying, Im going to not go to uni next year, I'm going to take a gap year and then apply for medicine. Well, that's a pretty big commitment/decision. And my mind changes by the hour aha. While I feel medicine is something I could commit to, I dunno, I guess I'm just scared in a way that it'll be the end of the world if I don't apply for something this UCAS cycle.

argh.
    You can do other courses that aren't medicine where you still learn about the human body. Taking time out isn't a waste if it means you make the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    You can do other courses that aren't medicine where you still learn about the human body. Taking time out isn't a waste if it means you make the right decision.
    Yeah, I've just got to make sure I make the right one.

ReputationRep:
    'The body' is a relatively small part of a doctor's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    'The body' is a relatively small part of a doctor's work.
    Yeah I know, I appreciate that. Was just one example =]

ReputationRep:

I think if you're struggling to decide, the best thing you could do would be to get some work experience, anything in a caring environment or even just a day shadowing a Dr could be helpful. It might be once you've done that you'll realise you don't like it and the decisions made for you, or it might inspire you. It should help you decide one way or the other though.

As far as deferred entries go, you need to defer from the start on your application rather than waiting to get an offer and then asking to defer afterwards which is only really allowed with major extenuating circumstances. There's no harm in applying for deferral this year if you want to give it a go though.

When it comes to lying about your work experience, I personally would strongly advise against it but do know it happens. The work experience is to help you understand what medicine is about and whether it's right for you so lying really doesn't help anyone (especially if you get caught out - some medical schools are starting to ask for proof of placements now).

ReputationRep:
    Look into physiological sciences. Medicine is a MASSIVE committment, when you go to med school it's not just 5 years there but the rest of your career. From your post it sounds as if you're no way near making that kind of decision, so defintley don't apply this year.

You could apply for other subjects, have a place waiting for you whilst you decide whether or not you do want to do medicine, then reject those places to apply for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Look into physiological sciences. Medicine is a MASSIVE committment, when you go to med school it's not just 5 years there but the rest of your career. From your post it sounds as if you're no way near making that kind of decision, so defintley don't apply this year.

You could apply for other subjects, have a place waiting for you whilst you decide whether or not you do want to do medicine, then reject those places to apply for medicine.
    Mmm, I agree - thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    Im definitely not ready, and wont be, to apply for this year.

Just not sure whether its worth planning on taking a gap year, but still applying for chemistry for example. Would keep my options open I suppose, and would give me a chance to familiarise with the UCAS system lol.

But then I'd be worried that I might decline an offer for chemistry, then fail to get into medicine the next year, decide to do chemistry, then fail to get into chemistry aha!

ReputationRep:
    But then I'd be worried that I might decline an offer for chemistry, then fail to get into medicine the next year, decide to do chemistry, then fail to get into chemistry aha!
    I doubt you'd fail to get into chemistry. It's not that competitive - if you have the right grades that'll be enough for most universities.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I agree - thanks =]
    I don't, a degree is well a degree, why not go for medicine?

If you don't necessarily want to follow it for a career just don't let admissions know.

ReputationRep:
    So to get this straight, I'd need to apply in September 2010, making it clear in my PS that I'd be taking a gap year and what I'd be doing during the year between application and (hopefully) admission, whilst hopefully being able to talk about any work experience I can get in my A2 year before applying.

And I wouldn't need to apply for deferred entry, just talk about how Im going to be spending the year as I wouldn't be in college...

Sound right?

The benefit to that being that Im not applying for deferred entry, i'm just leaving application a year later so I can gain more experience before applying, and will gain hopefully a lot more during the course of my application...

Or, do people who take gap years tend to apply afterwards so you have solid experience that you can write about in your PS, rather than saying what your plans are...?

Sorry I'm so, stupid, with this... =| I'm just stressing lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I don't, a degree is well a degree, why not go for medicine?

If you don't necessarily want to follow it for a career just don't let admissions know.
    This only works for people with absolutely no morals. If this is you, great, but I would be constantly haunted by guilt :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.