Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shayke)
    So to get this straight, I'd need to apply in September 2010, making it clear in my PS that I'd be taking a gap year and what I'd be doing during the year between application and (hopefully) admission, whilst hopefully being able to talk about any work experience I can get in my A2 year before applying.

And I wouldn't need to apply for deferred entry, just talk about how Im going to be spending the year as I wouldn't be in college...

Sound right?

The benefit to that being that Im not applying for deferred entry, i'm just leaving application a year later so I can gain more experience before applying, and will gain hopefully a lot more during the course of my application...

Or, do people who take gap years tend to apply afterwards so you have solid experience that you can write about in your PS, rather than saying what your plans are...?

Sorry I'm so, stupid, with this... =| I'm just stressing lol.
    Well you don't have to just start planning things for after you've left college. You could start doing some voluntary work in a care home now, and then when you came to apply you'd have been doing it for a year which would defintley give you an advantage. If you start sending off letters now, you should be able to get work experience for Easter 2010 and Summer 2010 which will allow you to talk and reflect on them in your personal statement, as well as talking about what you have planned to do and what you hope to gain from that. If I end up having to take a gap year I would spend 6-8months working as a HCA and then 3 months or so volunteering abroad, start looking into things now as if you don't want to do something like this (or even if you do) there are schemes and programmes you can get involved with, but the sooner the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Well you don't have to just start planning things for after you've left college. You could start doing some voluntary work in a care home now, and then when you came to apply you'd have been doing it for a year which would defintley give you an advantage. If you start sending off letters now, you should be able to get work experience for Easter 2010 and Summer 2010 which will allow you to talk and reflect on them in your personal statement, as well as talking about what you have planned to do and what you hope to gain from that. If I end up having to take a gap year I would spend 6-8months working as a HCA and then 3 months or so volunteering abroad, start looking into things now as if you don't want to do something like this (or even if you do) there are schemes and programmes you can get involved with, but the sooner the better.
    Yeah I plan on contacting the local hospice and NHS trust soon, like, tomorrow, and to get some voluntary work. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get voluntary work at the hospitals, but if not I'll find out if there's some process or certain time to apply and whatnot.

The thing is, either way I'm still applying before actually having gone on the gap year, so yeah, getting something regular now is the best bet I think...

Thanks a bunch btw :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.