Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as I got a letter this morning offering a 30% scholarship at Duff Miller independent college in London.

However, I have to let them know by TOMORROW if I want to accept the place. The reason I'm a bit hesitant is because

1) I got a place at another (state so free) sixth form college
    2) I have visited Duff Miller, but still don't know much about these kinds of "crammer" colleges
    3) Its quite small and different to your regular school - also the teaching is focused very much on exams only and there's not much extra curricular.

On the other hand:

Duff Miller is slightly closer to me than St. Dom's (the state sixth form college) plus its a tube journey so more reliable.

Also its classes are smaller, and they do more preparation for exam technique/uni entry.

In conclusionI really don't know whether to accept my scholarship offfer or not!
    Does anyone have experience of any tutorial colleges like this one?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated =] thanks if you've read all this.

xx

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion - everyone creates their own success and, provided you have the drive to do it, your grades will be the same, regardless of where you are.

I would honestly go with the state college. At least you will keep the money in your pocket.

ReputationRep:
    I totally disagree with Longorefisher, everyone creates their own success and everyone else ***** up that success. Go to the better school because it will have more disciplined classes, and you will have the time, space and class discipline to get good grades - which nowadays is what school is about.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in a similar situation.

my current private school offered me a 50% scholarship to stay.. but i turned it down to go to a state sixth form college and i definitely think i've made the right choice.

its more social there.. theres more going on.. more opportunities to meet new people.. i'm fed up of being stuck in the same place and my current school is so snobbish and they havea rule for everything.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a tutorial college in London which sounds quite similar to the one you described and it was the biggest mistake of my life.I was only there for year 13 but it felt like a lifetime!It was disorganised and the teaching just wasnt very good.

I'm still in touch with one of my teachers who taught at two other tutorial colleges in London and he said that the general vibe in the staff room is 'am I going to get paid?' A lot of tutorial colleges are really struggling so he said several teachers are more concerned about whether they'll get paid than the welfare of the pupils and quality of teaching.

Another thing,I think I managed to get through it because I've always been a keeno with academics, I'm not saying you're not,but you have to be so self motivated to get anywhere in a tutorial.If you're one of those people that constantly need to be pushed and hassled for homework then I don't think it's for you.They pretty much just leave you to get on with it and if you don't do it,they'll leave it at that.No calling parents,detentions etc,it's really not like a normal school. Extra curricular activities were basically non existant.

Anyways, lecture over, St Dom's is really good (If it's the St Dom's I think you're talking about) so if I were you I'd go for that.Good luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    In my opinion - everyone creates their own success and, provided you have the drive to do it, your grades will be the same, regardless of where you are.

I would honestly go with the state college. At least you will keep the money in your pocket.
    Yeah it does seem like the more reliable option to me in some respects (going to the state college).

However, the main problem is that getting to the state college takes longer than getting to Duff Miller. Also, it can take me anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half, whereas getting to duff miller is 50 minutes max (walking included). When I went to see Duff Miller, they said by being a scholarship student I would be put under more pressure which I think is good for me - I don't know how true that is though.

(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    I totally disagree with Longorefisher, everyone creates their own success and everyone else ***** up that success. Go to the better school because it will have more disciplined classes, and you will have the time, space and class discipline to get good grades - which nowadays is what school is about.
    Yeah they claim at least to have more disciplined classes, I would imagine the fact they're smaller should also help. Results wise there is a slight difference....but its a bit hard to compare given that St. Dom's has about 6 times more people :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    i'm in a similar situation.

my current private school offered me a 50% scholarship to stay.. but i turned it down to go to a state sixth form college and i definitely think i've made the right choice.

its more social there.. theres more going on.. more opportunities to meet new people.. i'm fed up of being stuck in the same place and my current school is so snobbish and they havea rule for everything.
    ah I can totally relate! (except my current school didn't offer a scholarship).

Yep I know what you mean by a sort of close minded/snobbish atmosphere. Thats why, ignoring the travelling distance, I was attracted to St. Dom's. Have you started at this state sixth form right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    I went to a tutorial college in London which sounds quite similar to the one you described and it was the biggest mistake of my life.I was only there for year 13 but it felt like a lifetime!It was disorganised and the teaching just wasnt very good.
    I'm still in touch with one of my teachers who taught at two other tutorial colleges in London and he said that the general vibe in the staff room is 'am I going to get paid?' A lot of tutorial colleges are really struggling so he said several teachers are more concerned about whether they'll get paid than the welfare of the pupils and quality of teaching.

Another thing,I think I managed to get through it because I've always been a keeno with academics, I'm not saying you're not,but you have to be so self motivated to get anywhere in a tutorial.If you're one of those people that constantly need to be pushed and hassled for homework then I don't think it's for you.They pretty much just leave you to get on with it and if you don't do it,they'll leave it at that.No calling parents,detentions etc,it's really not like a normal school. Extra curricular activities were basically non existant.

Anyways, lecture over, St Dom's is really good (If it's the St Dom's I think you're talking about) so if I were you I'd go for that.Good luck with it all.
    Out of interest, which tutorial college was it??
    Duff Miller at least tries to give off the image its a regular school, but I'm still pretty sure its a tutorial college though - which has its positives and negatives.

Really?! The head at this place mentioned they give weekly examinations in all your subjects and are very regular in checking on students...but thats what they all say :rolleyes:

Yeah, I tend to need a bit of discipline in that respect, otherwise I tend to miss deadlines etc.
    They did mention that they would keep a check to make sure I was doing well, as I've been offered a scholarship - and apparently they call your parents if you're absent. How much of that is true I don't know.

Would you say being in smaller classes was any good, despite how much freedom they gave you?

It's the St. Dom's in Harrow , I'm guessing that's the same one you were thinking of?
    I called in today, asking if I could let them know tomorrow (they only gave me about a day to decide lol). But yeah I have to decide now, and the positives/negatives of both kind of weigh eachother out o_O
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_dragoness274)
    ah I can totally relate! (except my current school didn't offer a scholarship).

Yep I know what you mean by a sort of close minded/snobbish atmosphere. Thats why, ignoring the travelling distance, I was attracted to St. Dom's. Have you started at this state sixth form right?
    no i'm starting in september.. but i've been to like three induction/enrollment things so far and i much prefer it to school already!!. loads of my friends are going there too, so i'm really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_dragoness274)
    Out of interest, which tutorial college was it??
    Duff Miller at least tries to give off the image its a regular school, but I'm still pretty sure its a tutorial college though - which has its positives and negatives.

Really?! The head at this place mentioned they give weekly examinations in all your subjects and are very regular in checking on students...but thats what they all say :rolleyes:

Yeah, I tend to need a bit of discipline in that respect, otherwise I tend to miss deadlines etc.
    They did mention that they would keep a check to make sure I was doing well, as I've been offered a scholarship - and apparently they call your parents if you're absent. How much of that is true I don't know.

Would you say being in smaller classes was any good, despite how much freedom they gave you?

It's the St. Dom's in Harrow , I'm guessing that's the same one you were thinking of?
    I called in today, asking if I could let them know tomorrow (they only gave me about a day to decide lol). But yeah I have to decide now, and the positives/negatives of both kind of weigh eachother out o_O
    x
    Sorry for the delay in reply, I went to Wentworth Tutorial college
    What did you decide on in the end?

ReputationRep:
    There are some really good tutorial colleges if you are self-motivated and want to concentrate on passing exams. It's good preparation for university. It hinges on choosing a good one and looking further afield than just London.
    There's an organisation of the good ones; CIFE.org.uk
    To offer a bursary that you have to decide about overnight is ridiculous. I'd be concerned about that. The best thing is to ask if they can put you in touch with someone who has been there or is still there. Visit in term time so that you can talk to the students there.

(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Sound advice. :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.