Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok Im female, 23 and ever since I was 18 Ive had this anxiety thing and low moods that come on. It started after I fainted on my first day of work (due to intense anxiety) ever since then Ive had anxiety/panic and a feeling of being trapped when I have to go do things like go in lectures or go in work..basically any commintemts where I am not free to leave.

I quit university because of anxiety in lessons and on the bus on the way there I would turn back and go home a lot my parents used to go mad at me. 2 years ago I was several months from finishing a year at another college but the anxiety got too much again and I quit.

Im hesitant about going in work (luckily I have a job where I can book shifts ironicly on mental health wards as a nurse assistant) because most of the time the anxiety is on and off throughout the shift then I praise myself for sticking it out then on the next shift it starts all over again.. what the hell am I supposed to do? Im sick of these very unpleasant feelings.

The thing is though Ive been accepted to start nurse training next March and I really don't see how I will stick it out. I live with my parents still and Im positive I will have a better quality of life being 'safe' with no career just making money selling stuff on the internet and enjoying my hobbies (keeping fit etc) So whats the point in keep fighting this all my life if it means I have to experience unpleasant moods and sensations all the time? I don't see the point please someone tell me??

Ive always been neurotic even as a kid Id always ask if there was an hospital nearby when we were going on holiday lol, i had phobias of being sick and stopping breathing its just part of me so its not going to stop as I get older.

Ive had councelling and know about the cbt technique and can stop it from turning into a panic attack but I still have to live with the anxiety and horrible sensations.

ReputationRep:
    have you been to the doctor about it?
    i get anxiety attacks often and was diagnosed with panic disorder but was given pills by my GP which are incredibly effective and keep me relaxed .
    also herbal medicines are effective too .

ReputationRep:
    I read the title as 'Whats the point in fisting anxiety'

Im glad I didnt have to explain that one

(Original post by truckstopblues)
    have you been to the doctor about it?
    i get anxiety attacks often and was diagnosed with panic disorder but was given pills by my GP which are incredibly effective and keep me relaxed .
    also herbal medicines are effective too .
    Ive been loads of times but it just feels like its part of me..as though deep down I don't want to do well in life and don't want to be part of society but am being forced to otherwise i'l be classed as weird and lazy. Its as though it comes on as an excuse so I don't have to deal with the stress of life, it was the councellor who said this and I think I agree with her.

ReputationRep:
    Did anything happen when you were 18 to bring this on?

It would be useful if you had a friend to go places with you and help keep you calm. Doing things one step at a time would hopefully help you improve alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive been loads of times but it just feels like its part of me..as though deep down I don't want to do well in life and don't want to be part of society but am being forced to otherwise i'l be classed as weird and lazy. Its as though it comes on as an excuse so I don't have to deal with the stress of life, it was the councellor who said this and I think I agree with her.

but surely you should want to fight against that feeling !
    why don't you want to do well in life ?
    you should never ever let anxiety defeat you .

ReputationRep:
    You'd rather give in to it?
    Live your life filled with fear and restrictions rather than doing whatever you want?

I'm terrified of flying, but i'm not going to let that stop me from travelling the world.

You can beat this. Don't ever give up.

(Original post by Intensity)
    You'd rather give in to it?
    Live your life filled with fear and restrictions rather than doing whatever you want?

I'm terrified of flying, but i'm not going to let that stop me from travelling the world.

You can beat this. Don't ever give up.
    Mainly its when I do the things that I want to do (ie leisurely things) that im free of anxiety. When I have commitments where I can't leave at any time (ie work, lectures) I get the anxiety. Why put up with the anxiety all my life if I can find an easy way out so to speak? As long as Im not sponging off the state. Then again it would be fillied with boredom.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok Im female, 23 and ever since I was 18 Ive had this anxiety thing and low moods that come on. It started after I fainted on my first day of work (due to intense anxiety) ever since then Ive had anxiety/panic and a feeling of being trapped when I have to go do things like go in lectures or go in work..basically any commintemts where I am not free to leave.

I quit university because of anxiety in lessons and on the bus on the way there I would turn back and go home a lot my parents used to go mad at me. 2 years ago I was several months from finishing a year at another college but the anxiety got too much again and I quit.

Im hesitant about going in work (luckily I have a job where I can book shifts ironicly on mental health wards as a nurse assistant) because most of the time the anxiety is on and off throughout the shift then I praise myself for sticking it out then on the next shift it starts all over again.. what the hell am I supposed to do? Im sick of these very unpleasant feelings.

The thing is though Ive been accepted to start nurse training next March and I really don't see how I will stick it out. I live with my parents still and Im positive I will have a better quality of life being 'safe' with no career just making money selling stuff on the internet and enjoying my hobbies (keeping fit etc) So whats the point in keep fighting this all my life if it means I have to experience unpleasant moods and sensations all the time? I don't see the point please someone tell me??

Ive always been neurotic even as a kid Id always ask if there was an hospital nearby when we were going on holiday lol, i had phobias of being sick and stopping breathing its just part of me so its not going to stop as I get older.

Ive had councelling and know about the cbt technique and can stop it from turning into a panic attack but I still have to live with the anxiety and horrible sensations.
    Do you have a long lost twin brother ? I can relate to alot of the

things that you have said , not to mention the frustration that comes

with it.Feel free to hit me up , the door is always open.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    there is no point

ReputationRep:
    pills might help

ReputationRep:
    dont kill yourself and don't do illegal narcotics

I feel the same way although I don't have a job but I don't feel right going on benefits so now I don't know what my options are. I feel like giving up. Sorry I don't have any advice - just to let you know you're not alone (not sure that always helps though ) Sorry I can't be more help I wish I knew how to stop it myself!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.