Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have this problem? In that trying to talk about/explain anything uni-related with parents is incredibly frustrating as they have no idea about any of it, so everything has to be explained from the very beginning :confused:

Maybe its just my parents...but my mum still has trouble grasping to concept of Firm and Insurance choices :o:

And student finance has been such a hassle! I'm getting worried now since i got an email the other week saying they hadn't received info about my parents income, and i wont get a meas tested loan if they dont get it within 28 days. i asked my dad about it and he "got these letters a while ago, don't really know what they're about". Grr, i only just got the P60 sent off, i hope it gets there in time!

Rant over thanks for listening

ReputationRep:
    same i've just given up tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I wouldn't really go to the extent of making a thread about it. Mine genuinely don't understand the concept at all. Which is a bugger, because they actively disagree with higher education, making my life a living Hell. I had to apply in secret and use a friend's card to pay for the UCAS options, so that I only had to tell them about what I'm hoping to do after I'd done it, so there was no real way they could stop me. Fortunately, they still have no clue what UCAS is, so whenever a letter came home about it I just said that it was some kind of junk mail advertising.

I do think it would be nice, sometimes, to not have to suck up all my courage when mentioning something to do with university. It would be nice, sometimes, if they would smile or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Yes, but I wouldn't really go to the extent of making a thread about it. Mine genuinely don't understand the concept at all. Which is a bugger, because they actively disagree with higher education, making my life a living Hell.
    Disagree with higher education? :/

ReputationRep:
    my brother is going through the whole uni applications thing at the moment and a great comment from my mum the other day was.. "ucas? whats that?!." ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Disagree with higher education? :/
    Damn educated youths, stealing our jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting worried now since i got an email the other week saying they hadn't received info about my parents income, and i wont get a meas tested loan if they dont get it within 28 days
    i think it says at the bottom, if they have you can ignore that email. It got sent to everyone. Just make sure they have lol and nag them.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS do a leaflet for parents, I cant find it on their website though, it might be on there as a pdf

ReputationRep:
    Nah, my parents don't really get it. Mum is okay about it, I don't mind explaining things to her, but my dad is the irritating one, as he tries to tell me I'm wrong about this that and the other. No dad. The best thing he came out with though is "well, it's only really the media students and such that go out and drink as much as you see on the telly". That was pretty gold.

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't really get it- she got so wound up about open days, i was like just stay calm.

and as for student finance- graah i can sympathise with you there, my mum STILL hasnt filled in the forms, nearly 2 months later im still waiting...

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully my mum read up on it all before I even applied but dad on the other hand not a clue!! He doesn't understand firm or insurance either! But thankfully they got are accountant to fill in their part of the form about the money.

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents understood it. Neither of them, or anyone else in my family besides me have been to university so it was alien to everyone.

I pretty much delt with it all myself and just gave them what information I felt was necessary, that way there was little to get annoyed/frustrated with.

ReputationRep:
    if your the first in ur family to go to uni then i guess they wouldnt no much about it

ReputationRep:
    ha, yeah when I did all my stuff last year it was a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    Quit ranting. My parents were just as clueless if not more, as were all my brothers/sisters who are currently at uni. I just do it all myself, including sorting out all that means-testing stuff and so fourth. I created my parents/siblings accounts and filled it all in. It is so quick and easy, why people find it so much hassle is alien to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    Quit ranting. My parents were just as clueless if not more, as were all my brothers/sisters who are currently at uni. I just do it all myself, including sorting out all that means-testing stuff and so fourth. I created my parents/siblings accounts and filled it all in. It is so quick and easy, why people find it so much hassle is alien to me.
    congrats

ReputationRep:
    My mum is clueless, and just not interested at all really.
    My dad is trying bless him :P

yes, my parents haven't the first clue about anything, and trying to explain it to them, ends up in them thinking they know everything and shouting at me, so i don't bother with them

i do it all myself

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I have the opposite problem. My parents both have Masters and they spend most of their time telling me how many wrong decisions I'm making, what I should be studying and where, the areas I've failed in my life...

ReputationRep:
    My parents know nothing.
    However much I try to explain about UCAS and applying, and making firm and insurance choices, they just still understand. They seem to expect me to go to some 'prestigious' uni, so if its not Oxford or Cambridge, they'd think I'm going to some crap place not worth mentioning.
    I think they just expect me to waltz into a top uni with no effort at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.