Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    yes, my parents haven't the first clue about anything, and trying to explain it to them, ends up in them thinking they know everything and shouting at me, so i don't bother with them

i do it all myself
    This, basically.

And also, "You only got A's!? That's average." Pffft. Thanks mum.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that with mine. I've just given up and am deciding everything myself. Mum won't/doesn't even have the time to listen and Dad doesn't live with me so it's down to me to be honest. I will be the first in my family to go uni.. so they know nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    This, basically.

And also, "You only got A's!? That's average I guess." Pffft
    Ah too bad.

What vintage do you like and where do you go for it?

ReputationRep:
    Mine weren't too bad, but I kept on having to explain things to them over and over when I was at the applying stage.

ReputationRep:
    lol this is my situation; my mum's so clueless she didn't even know what A2s I did, same goes for my dad
    As for student finance I literally did it all myself; filled out their details online myself, sent off the required evidence etc. If I left it to them god knows what would happen. Oh, and my mum didn't even think I was doing a university course even though I'm going to a university, which kinda begs the question, WHAT THE HELL DID SHE THINK I WAS DOING?!
    I doubt either have ever heard of UCAS.

If you think that's bad, the guy in charge of UCAS at my school pronounces it as "ukkas." What a knob. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Ah too bad.

What vintage do you like and where do you go for it?
    Thanks lol. Vintage everything - clothes/bags/accessories/Levis - the lot. Go for independent local vintage shops, boutiques and Topshop vintage. Although some do charge a bomb:/ Apart from that, it's all goood
    :cool: <<*wearing some neat aviators*

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't understand the concept of A-Levels, so don't worry.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If my mum tells one more relative I'm going to do "IT Studies" at uni I'll throw a kamikaze watermelon at her face.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't even know what I study, despite having read my University proposals a number of times, and me explaining my research topic to them endlessly. In fact, my mum doesn't even know my correct age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    If you think that's bad, the guy in charge of UCAS at my school pronounces it as "ukkas." What a knob. :facepalm:
    lol, the teacher talking to us about it called it "Ooh-cas"

ReputationRep:
    My mum is completely clueless. Didn't know what A levels I was doing or where I applied, what grades I needed/got etc. I've been at uni 5 years and she still doesn't get it.

Seems i'm not alone!

ReputationRep:
    i just did everything for them. simple. nothing for them to understand that way.

when i finished my degree, and got my result i rang up and told them. went like this:

me: i got my degree result today.
    mum: oh very good well done excellent.
    me: i got a first.
    mum: you came first? oh very good. what degree did you get.
    me: well i did maths mum...
    mum: oh yes but its been on the news about how they even do degrees in things like football and museum studeis these days so i didnt know what you;'d get one in.
    did you pass then?

sigh. i gave up. yes mum. i got a first. its like an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    If you think that's bad, the guy in charge of UCAS at my school pronounces it as "ukkas." What a knob.
    Haha so did this woman who came into our school to talk about uni finance and the like. I was like yes I'm going to take everything you say seriously :eyeball:

(Original post by nuodai)
    If my mum tells one more relative I'm going to do "IT Studies" at uni I'll throw a kamikaze watermelon at her face.
    That's brilliant :awesome:

My mum cares a lot, but I don't think my dad even knows where I want to go or what I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame my parents for not knowing, for what reason? They've never been to any universities and my older sister didn't attend any.
    My mum is fairly interested in university stuff; she was very exited when we visited Essex.

I don't see any reasons why parents should know about universities. I mean, if they knew something, I wouldn't blame them.

ReputationRep:
    nope, my parents have noooo idea. they can only just remember what uni i'm going to "blackpool, burnly... maybe birmingham?" nevermind what course i want to do or what i want to do after uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    Does anyone else have this problem? In that trying to talk about/explain anything uni-related with parents is incredibly frustrating as they have no idea about any of it, so everything has to be explained from the very beginning :confused:

Maybe its just my parents...but my mum still has trouble grasping to concept of Firm and Insurance choices :o:

And student finance has been such a hassle! I'm getting worried now since i got an email the other week saying they hadn't received info about my parents income, and i wont get a meas tested loan if they dont get it within 28 days. i asked my dad about it and he "got these letters a while ago, don't really know what they're about". Grr, i only just got the P60 sent off, i hope it gets there in time!

Rant over thanks for listening
    same

i think we may even have the same parents. Or maybe not, mine still seem a bit more clueless than yours and they cant even be arsed to do thier bit of my student finance applicaiton.

In fact just a few hours ago i told my dad i needed to apply for accommodation at Aston (my insurance choice) to which he replied 'why?'

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    Does anyone else have this problem? In that trying to talk about/explain anything uni-related with parents is incredibly frustrating as they have no idea about any of it, so everything has to be explained from the very beginning :confused:

Maybe its just my parents...but my mum still has trouble grasping to concept of Firm and Insurance choices :o:

And student finance has been such a hassle! I'm getting worried now since i got an email the other week saying they hadn't received info about my parents income, and i wont get a meas tested loan if they dont get it within 28 days. i asked my dad about it and he "got these letters a while ago, don't really know what they're about". Grr, i only just got the P60 sent off, i hope it gets there in time!

Rant over thanks for listening
    It's not like you need them to know though?
    Decisions are all down to you after all.

ReputationRep:
    Are all your parents retarded or something??

Not exactly complicated stuff.

Understand a few terms (insurance/firm) and fill out a form which even has a guide with how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Aww OP don't get so annoyed with them! Look how many threads are made asking questions about student finance for the people who are actually going to the uni, must be harder for the parents as they just get forms chucked at them!! Just help them do the bits they have to do and fill all the rest ouy yourself

I do find it funny though when parents become out of touch with their 'kids' education. My mum keeps telling people I got all A's at A level... I didn't. She just expected me to get them and obviously since then has convinced herself that I did!

Then we started going to open days *big sigh*, when the first uni we went to mentioned that they were in the top 10 for something (don't know if it was even relevant to the course I intended to study) she perked up 'Oooo you'll definitely have to come here!' Like the other 9 in that top 10 didn't exist lol.

One of my friends mum's thought you just decided which uni you wanted to go and went there... but I think this is fairly common in older parents who didn't attend uni.

Oh and how many bloody parents think that bachelor degrees are sooooo amazing that employers are crying out for you and expect you just to walk into a 30k+ job??

Meh, sorry to hijack just felt the need to add

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.