Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My mum knows a fair bit, not so much the application process, as she went to University, but she got chosen by the University because she was excelling so much on a course at college so she didn't have to apply. However, my mum looked information up on the internet and will actually listen to what I am saying lol

My dad on the other hand, I try avoid ever talking to him about it, it never ends well lol

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, they don't need to know anything about it, really. Once you've been through the process and are at university (or on your gap year), you'll realise that the big drama you made about UCAS and the process is pretty over the top. At the end of the day, it's just you filling in a form and choosing a couple of options from that form. The thing that makes it seem really scary is the certainty about grades, which your parents obviously aren't dealing with!

As for student finance, just make it clear they need to fill the forms in for you to get some money. They don't need to understand any more than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    My mum doesn't really get it- she got so wound up about open days, i was like just stay calm.

and as for student finance- graah i can sympathise with you there, my mum STILL hasnt filled in the forms, nearly 2 months later im still waiting...
    Er you do know that the student finance deadline has passed right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    i just did everything for them. simple. nothing for them to understand that way.

when i finished my degree, and got my result i rang up and told them. went like this:

me: i got my degree result today.
    mum: oh very good well done excellent.
    me: i got a first.
    mum: you came first? oh very good. what degree did you get.
    me: well i did maths mum...
    mum: oh yes but its been on the news about how they even do degrees in things like football and museum studeis these days so i didnt know what you;'d get one in.
    did you pass then?

sigh. i gave up. yes mum. i got a first. its like an A.
    :rofl: my mum is like this as well

ReputationRep:
    My problem is the opposite in some ways; they both went to uni, but because applying was different then they think things like I have to apply with the list in order of where I want to go, and that everywhere can see where else you've applied. They also didn't have to do personal statements and needed interviews everywhere, I think.

I think they've got it now, but especially the first two points took a while for them to grasp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Thanks lol. Vintage everything - clothes/bags/accessories/Levis - the lot. Go for independent local vintage shops, boutiques and Topshop vintage. Although some do charge a bomb:/ Apart from that, it's all goood
    :cool: <<*wearing some neat aviators*
    Oooh check you I swear there's no vintage clothes shops near where I live. Got any sites for me please? I would like to experiment lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    :rofl: my mum is like this as well
    to be fair to her, we knew of no one that had ever gone to uni before i went. didnt even know anyone that had gone to sixth form! bit crap when i was picking my alevels etc though, and my uni course. since i had no clue what i was doing! uni never crossed my mind when i was picking my alevels. never occured to me that i'd have to do certain subjects for certain courses etc!

at least i can help all my younger siblings with it now though. my mum might still know nothing but at least i can give them advice etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Er you do know that the student finance deadline has passed right?
    ahhh oh dear, nah i didn't know that!

I did my section of the form though, so i dunno what happens now :rolleyes: useless!!

ReputationRep:
    "If you think that's bad, the guy in charge of UCAS at my school pronounces it as "ukkas." What a knob."

Is this an older person? 20+ years ago it was an "UCCA" form you filled in for uni. Pronounced "ukka"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Oooh check you I swear there's no vintage clothes shops near where I live. Got any sites for me please? I would like to experiment lol.
    No way! But you're in LONDON BABY!

I came across this random site today www.rokit.co.uk looks kinda funky
    ebay has lots of vintage shops
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/prince...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/cotton-love__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Maybe charity shops? Have heard London is meant to be good for vintage down there. Student savvy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame them tbh, must be hard to faint enthusiasm for a course that involves looking at rocks :p: I joke, I joke!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Ha de har :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    No way! But you're in LONDON BABY!

I came across this random site today www.rokit.co.uk looks kinda funky
    ebay has lots of vintage shops
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/prince...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/cotton-love__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Maybe charity shops? Have heard London is meant to be good for vintage down there. Student savvy.
    hmmm. Thank you. I guess next time I'm in central I should have a butchers in Carnaby Street and Covent garden. The last time I did high street was yearrrs ago lol, let alone ever going into a charity shop! But hey, I'll give it a go :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicyfruit)
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Ha de har :p:
    A sharp remark that one :spank: I was only messing! So you want to be a geologist huh? That's cool; working for someone like BP in the exploration department ya?

ReputationRep:
    A sharp remark that one :spank: I was only messing! So you want to be a geologist huh? That's cool; working for someone like BP in the exploration department ya?
    Hehe I know! :p:
    Yeah something along those lines, working in research, get a PHD, travel

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I know! :p:
    Yeah something along those lines, working in research, get a PHD, travel
    Get a Pretty Huge **** and then travel the World... Sickhead mate :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Get a Pretty Huge **** and then travel the World... Sickhead mate :cool:
    Erm excuse me... in case you haven't noticed.. I AM FEMALE.

ReputationRep:
    Erm excuse me... in case you haven't noticed.. I AM FEMALE.
    Don't worry you're excused. My eyes do work, and I managed to take notice of the female sign to the right of your username.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.