Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I had a quick look with the search function but didn't have much luck.

Basically I've got about 9/10 weeks off before I start university and I was just wondering if there's anything that I can do to strengthen my CV and/or any applications for internships in the future. Apart from academic results, my CV is pretty bare and I have no work experience related to finance. Is there any sort of financial related work experience that would be available to me? I applied for an internship at Killik & Co. but they sent me some bullcrap about all the places already being taken up. Thanks if anyone can help!

ReputationRep:
    wow those killik and co people are nasty.

ReputationRep:
    its kind of late to apply for a summer job now .. so most places would be filled by now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    Hey guys, I had a quick look with the search function but didn't have much luck.

Basically I've got about 9/10 weeks off before I start university and I was just wondering if there's anything that I can do to strengthen my CV and/or any applications for internships in the future. Apart from academic results, my CV is pretty bare and I have no work experience related to finance. Is there any sort of financial related work experience that would be available to me? I applied for an internship at Killik & Co. but they sent me some bullcrap about all the places already being taken up. Thanks if anyone can help!
    Just try cold calling some small boutiques/asset management firms and see i they can get you in for a week or two's worth of unpaid work experience - it's not perfect, but it would look good when the time comes to apply for spring programs.

If you're worried about the CV looking bare, make sure you get properly involved in various teams/societies/committees at uni from day one, then pile it all on the CV.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just ring round places to see if they can let you do a bit of unpaid work experience. Hopefully you should be able to find somewhere.
    Voluntry work is also a good idea and it looks good on your cv. There is plenty of voluntry work you can do such as working in charity shops and girlguiding uk is always looking for volunteers.
    A summer job or other part time work can also look good on your cv- plus you also get money for it.

Other than that- just join as many clubs/societies as you can when you start uni.

ReputationRep:
    Nice job rewording everything I wrote in the previous post... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    A summer job or other part time work can also look good on your cv- plus you also get money for it.
    I already have a normal job, I'm looking work some work experience in finance. I'm sure that a job at sainbury's isn't gonna sail me through the internship interviews :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to get my yellow pages out :p:
    Did any of you lot who are at uni. now have any work experience before you went? Or were you applying for spring weeks with not much behind you?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the above re-wording. But yeah, cold call anyone and everyone.. Keep in mind though, small boutiques generally don't/won't have the capacity or time to take on random work experience while the larger firms will have more formal means such as only offering official internships/spring weeks etc (unless you have contacts). Medium sized firms are your best bet..
    I literally called 25-30 companies and 95% said they weren't offering work experience/were already full. Luckily managed to squeeze a week at a PE firm though.. It's possible.. (But I did call like two months in advance however lol)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    Lol at the above re-wording. But yeah, cold call anyone and everyone.. Keep in mind though, small boutiques generally don't/won't have the capacity or time to take on random work experience while the larger firms will have more formal means such as only offering official internships/spring weeks etc (unless you have contacts). Medium sized firms are your best bet..
    I literally called 25-30 companies and 95% said they weren't offering work experience/were already full. Luckily managed to squeeze a week at a PE firm though.. It's possible.. (But I did call like two months in advance however lol)
    Good luck!
    Just to reword this for no apparent reason, you should call as many places as possible, but avoid small and large firms, since they either don't have the capacity, or will be unwilling to take you on.

Also, I like how pretty much every IB&C poster now has at least 3 warning points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Just to reword this for no apparent reason, you should call as many places as possible, but avoid small and large firms, since they either don't have the capacity, or will be unwilling to take you on.

Also, I like how pretty much every IB&C poster now has at least 3 warning points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    The only work experience I had before starting uni last year, was working in Tesco

Cover letters seem to have a higher weight when it comes to spring weeks, as not many students will have relevant experience behind them.
    Also, you'll have an awesome society guiding you in your quest for the corporate world illusion.
    Which one is that?

p.s. How was the first year of your course? :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.