Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    APPARENTLY, THEY DONT VALUE THEM AS MUCH.!!?

A friend of mine has done Alevels in humanities mostly and now decided she wants to do nutrition and dietics at Kings college London but they require A Levels in sciences. So i think she wants to take a year out to an Access course now, if never even heard of them? Is anyone applying with access qualifications?

Im a bit worried for her to be honest, she's really smart and i dont really want her to be taking time out to do Access or whatever when she's already got qualifications, what is access even? Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    yes of course king's will not value pathetic access courses, it's an Established respectable university not a community college
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    From their website for Nutrition and Dietics:

We welcome applications from students taking Access to Science. However, in view of the variability in the number and content of credits studied, all applicants are considered on an individual basis. As a guide, we require Access to Science (or similar) Diploma with the maximum award of 60 credits, all at level 3. Supplementary information and scores for certain credits may be required. In addition a further 12 separate level 3 credits are required. 24 credits in Chemistry must be included.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp10/entry_reqs/77

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    yes of course king's will not value pathetic access courses, it's an Established respectable university not a community college

Lad , do you even know what an access course is ? I pity your

ignorance.Work on it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys !

Anonymous friend, LOL. Its not me, im taking a gap year but have a deffered unconditional offer at LSE to do Hispanic studies for 2010.

Well she's the same age 18. Its just i was taken back by it all when she suddenly decided and if never even heard of access courses before

Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitsit)
    Its not me, im taking a gay year ...
    You may want to edit

ReputationRep:
    Hahah, done !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitsit)
    Thanks guys !

Anonymous friend, LOL. Its not me, im taking a gap year but have a deffered unconditional offer at LSE to do Hispanic studies for 2010.

Well she's the same age 18. Its just i was taken back by it all when she suddenly decided and if never even heard of access courses before

Thanks though
    As i said before , they are geared for mature students that have been out of education for a while or don't have the background needed.Some access course providers have an age threshold of 21 and over,some 19+..........It would be wise for your friend to contact the college/institution and find out about the cut-off age.I know of colleges that will accept you if you are below the specified age.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll be on the LLB Law course at King's starting this September and I've come from an Access to Law course. Furthermore, many of my fellow students from the Access course received offers from 'established respectable' universities, including Nottingham, Queen Mary, Keele, 2 got Surrey and everyone on the course received an offer from somewhere.

I also got interviewed by Cambridge while the fella that got into Notts got interviewed by Oxford, plus me and another guy from my class took the LSE entrance exam. I would suggest that none of the above Unis are 'community colleges' and that you, my friend, are an idiot and success in life is not only down to what letter is on your certificate.

To answer the asking member's question directly; Access courses are indeed valid and valuable. The only drawback is that it highlights the fact that something unusual happened in your educational background, in my case getting kicked out of school. If you have acceptale reasons for your historical blip then you will be fine. In fact, in your friends case it seems she has the traditional qualifications and is attempting to reinforce her future application, this can only help her. However, it may be a waste of a year if she can get in somewhere anyway.

OK my lecture is done :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm kind of sorry i neve found this post earlier. I'm curently at Cambridge but transferred last year from Kings. I did my a-levels at 18 and passed bu only just the course that i wanted to do at uni required m to get top marks in all sciences and maths to get into uni. I than took a year out and studies an access course in London which i passed with top marks i than got my acceptance into Kings to do my chosen course and as mention earluer and now at Cambridge i have 1 year left and am very happy on my degress choice. The access course was great and it gave me the opportunity i needed. Btw i am studying Medicine and will officially be Dr next year.
    Good luck and i hope your friend made the right choice

ReputationRep:
    :lol: harsh...but there is an element of truth there

ReputationRep:
    Wow it suprises me how small minded some people are, maybe we cant all be rich kids who have been lucky enough to have been privately schooled but I would put anything on the fact that I will be an excellent doctor in the next few years and probably doing alot better for myself than you, because I am open minded and driven. Obnoxious people like you seriously irritate me.

And FYI, I probably have more life experience in my little finger than you do in your entire body.

ReputationRep:
    My god, you're an idiot. I'm a mature student and i've got an offer from King's under my belt already. Hell, they didn't even want to interview me (which is SOP for Mature students applying to King's - or so i've been led to believe), I just got a conditional of "pass Access at Level 3"- which means that my previous 15 year career and life experience must count for something. I've got interviews at UCL and QMUL as well, so obviously you're utterly wrong about the value of an Access course.

ReputationRep:
    Am also applying to Kings this year and am currently on an access course. Tbh Im not very hopeful that I will get offered a place... fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to King's for biomedical science and im currently doing an access course in science and maths

I've had offers from UWE Bristol, UWIC (overall pass)and Manchester Met (25 merits)...and waiting for replies from Cardiff and Kings....I'm hoping that no news is good news so far, and I've got every bit of confidence in myself after gaining 21 distinctions and merits so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    Lad , do you even know what an access course is ? I pity your

ignorance.Work on it.
    I also pity his ignorance... snobbery at it's worst.

Hey guys. In my course there are a few people who have gotten in through access courses. But to be honest my course is not KCLs flagship course or anything so they don't bother. But for courses like Dentistry, War Studies it is virtually impossible. You may also find it really hard for Law and Medicine and History.

ReputationRep:
    I got into War Studies, which is one of King's flagship courses (A*AA) and did an Access course, so it's definitely possible. Though I should say that I got an extremely good reference and I've been told that my PS was the best the tutors had seen in the whole year.

Try to get some relevant work experience and make sure that your PS is well-structured.

ReputationRep:
    I did an access course in Science at Reading College and am now starting the pharmacy course at King's, so they do definitely accept it, however I did need to get very high marks on my access course. Also, when I had an interview, I had a group interview and all the applicants were access course students.

ReputationRep:
    ******* i think you should stop thowing your fat weight around that is such a horrid thing to say you horrible horrible little person

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.