Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Braces: how long did you have them for... Watch

ReputationRep:
    and how long were you told you would probably need to have them for?

Edit: new question- I've got mine on both sets of teeth but the problem was overcrowding only on the lower teeth- the orthodontist said that I needed to have them on both sets so that "the bite" was correct. Doesn't that mean that I'm going to end up with new spaces in my upper jaw though, like a gap between my two front teeth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    and how long were you told you would probably need to have them for?
    Mine took about 9 months, they said mine would take a year and a half. It depends on the person really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R£SP£CT)
    Mine took about 9 months, they said mine would take a year and a half. It depends on the person really.
    I was told 18 months, but I can see there's already been some serious movement after 6 weeks and my problem was only minor to begin with, so surely that estimate is way off?

ReputationRep:
    took about 2 years in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    I was told 18 months, but I can see there's already been some serious movement after 6 weeks and my problem was only minor to begin with, so surely that estimate is way off?
    Its a rough estimate. I guess it depends on the individual. Take me for instance, mine moved a lot quicker than expected. If yours start to move early then i think yours may come of early. In some cases, the teeth are right stubborn and some are in really awkward places, thus take a lot longer to be adjusted and straightened. Also sometimesif you feel your teeth are straight enough, say like after 7 months of treatment, you could ask your orthodontist to remove them. But in most cases they take almost a year.

Just be optimistic and patient. If you normally pay attention to the length of time it takes, its going to feel like you've worn them for ages. All in all, they were worth it!
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.