Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Braces: how long did you have them for... Watch

ReputationRep:
    3 years and 3 months I think...I thought I was only going to have them on for 2 years, but it took so sodding long to sort my teeth out! My bottom lot still weren't perfect by the time they came off but I couldn't be doing with them anymore...to be fair you don't see my bottom teeth anyway and my top teeth are nice so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    Plus you like cinema and Natalie Portman so who cares about braces :mmm:

On-topic: Nobody here used braces with colors, right?
    Ahem...
    I had the plain ones to begin with, but they kept getting stained
    so now I have a light blue colour, I think it looks much nicer :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just got my top ones put on last week having my bottom ones put in tommorow.

Gonna have them in anytime between 11-18 months

ReputationRep:
    I was told 18 months and had them for 24.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_anie_x)

I hope so , still scary thinking about it haha. How long did it take for your teeth to move and the gaps to go ?

x
    I was more nervous about the numbing injections back then than the actual tooth removal. I really wanted to sort my teeth out so I just got on with it! Well I had my braces on for two years, although I think the first 6 months of that time was just one of those braces where you have metal hoops over the front two teeth. I think they moved relatively quickly once the fixed brace was on. It was so long ago though, I can't quite remember. The sooner you get the process going, the sooner your teeth will be lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Ahem...
    I had the plain ones to begin with, but they kept getting stained
    so now I have a light blue colour, I think it looks much nicer :p:
    It seems like there are some that are transparent and I would prefer to had those instead of those lame and plain that I had. It doesn't look bad in light blue either.

ReputationRep:
    and how long were you told you would probably need to have them for?

Edit: new question- I've got mine on both sets of teeth but the problem was overcrowding only on the lower teeth- the orthodontist said that I needed to have them on both sets so that "the bite" was correct. Doesn't that mean that I'm going to end up with new spaces in my upper jaw though, like a gap between my two front teeth?
    Mine was meant to take 18 Months, it took 30 months and no you wont get spaces, its so when you bite down, your top jaw and the teeth bite slightly ahead of the bottom jaw, and by the right amount!

ReputationRep:
    My whole treatment took about 3 1/2 years. Yeah, it sucked.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine for about a year and a half, with monthly not six weekly tightenings (obviously this makes you go through the treatment a little faster).
    Not bad really - although I walked into a lampost about 4 months later and then screwed my teeth alignment up again

ReputationRep:
    Like a year..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I had mine for about a year and a half, with monthly not six weekly tightenings (obviously this makes you go through the treatment a little faster).
    Not bad really - although I walked into a lampost about 4 months later and then screwed my teeth alignment up again
    Ouch!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Far too long, I think it was about 3/4 years...the tightening appointments were the worst thing ever =[ the pain was awful. One of my bottom teeth has decided to venture towards the back again...not quite sure what to do about that

ReputationRep:
    and how long were you told you would probably need to have them for?

Edit: new question- I've got mine on both sets of teeth but the problem was overcrowding only on the lower teeth- the orthodontist said that I needed to have them on both sets so that "the bite" was correct. Doesn't that mean that I'm going to end up with new spaces in my upper jaw though, like a gap between my two front teeth?
    I had my braces for 1 year and 3 months. The pain trying to eat after they're tightened is soooo bad! I couldn't eat properly for days after an appointment

As for the new question, the overcrowding means that there probably isn't enough space in between the teeth on the lower half to align the teeth properly. So they pull the lower teeth out so that there's space for the wonky teeth to fit. I know this because my upper teeth had the same problem so they did what i just wrote :yep: Don't worry, there wont be any gaps noticable gaps. They are train professionals!
    The orthodontist uses the brace on the top so that the lower teeth don't stick out too much and when you bite, ie the lower teeth wont align in front of the upper teeth, if not, when you bite, the lower teeth might overlap the front teeth .... not a pretty sight! If they didn't do the top as well, you could get underbite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    So if your in puberty its likely to be quicker? Because you change quicker?
    lol no nothing like that. I meant that some peoples teeth are different to others i.e. theyre a lot more out of their normal position therefore will take longer to straighten. Also some teeth are really more stubborn than others, therefore will take longer to adjust.

ReputationRep:
    I've had mine for roughly 20 months I believe.

They're coming off tommorow so it was quite coincidental finding this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stikki)
    I've had mine for roughly 20 months I believe.

They're coming off tommorow so it was quite coincidental finding this thread.
    You lucky sod!!
    And lol at your sig :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlo90)
    I had my braces for 1 year and 3 months. The pain trying to eat after they're tightened is soooo bad! I couldn't eat properly for days after an appointment

As for the new question, the overcrowding means that there probably isn't enough space in between the teeth on the lower half to align the teeth properly. So they pull the lower teeth out so that there's space for the wonky teeth to fit. I know this because my upper teeth had the same problem so they did what i just wrote :yep: Don't worry, there wont be any gaps noticable gaps. They are train professionals!
    The orthodontist uses the brace on the top so that the lower teeth don't stick out too much and when you bite, ie the lower teeth wont align in front of the upper teeth, if not, when you bite, the lower teeth might overlap the front teeth .... not a pretty sight! If they didn't do the top as well, you could get underbite

Have some rep, m'dear

ReputationRep:
    bout two years, but the stupid orthodintist took themoff too soon, i told her that it was too early, but obviously i was "being silly" but no, now i am left with a big gap in my teeth just like before. 2 years of horrendous pain for nothing =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    How did you manage to do that? Sorry, but that slightly made me chuckle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackathon)
    2 years and counting... Meant to be 2 and a half, what a joke. Every 6 weeks since January they say 'another 6 weeks...'

can definitely relate to you here!!
    I was told I was having them off in march, and they kept saying another six weeks. when i went last tuesday, they again said "another six weeks" cus they wanted me to wear the elastic band things for longer to level my bite. But i kept forgetting t put them back in after i'd eaten or put them in my handbag so they'd snap while i was at work and i had nothing to replace them with, so i just told him to take them off cus i knew i wouldn't be any better off! got the joys of retainers now but they're defo better than braces! had mine for 2 years and seven months in the end! but you should have seen the state of my teeth before, they were a complete disaster zone, i'm unrecognisable now really!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.