Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do sleeping pills work? I honestly feel like im going to die watch

ReputationRep:
    Since the summer holidays i've been sleeping at like 4am, but for a week now, i havent been able to sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours a day. I've been awake for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT now and feel so tired. I can barely keep my eyes open, yet I can't sleep for some wierd reason! I've been trying to sleep for the past 5 hours because I had something to do at 7 in the morning, but now thats postponed since i'm still awake and tired as ****. I feel so drained its unbelievable. There's a pharmacy right next to where I live, should I pay it a visit? Usually pills like paracetamol / calpol etc. don't work for me.

I'm dying for sleep man, do sleeping pills work?

ReputationRep:
    Are you stressed? Maybe you should go talk to your Doctor before you result to taking these pills. They can ruin your life if not prescribed properly.

ReputationRep:
    OTC remedies generally don't work in my experience, prescription sleeping pills however knock me right out. If you explain to a doctor you can't sleep you might get prescribed a small amount just to help you get back into a pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Never tried prescription sleeping pills, but yeah, OTC ones are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    i don't have time to see a doctor. i need these pills ASAP. my GP only operates on appointments and emergency patients have till before 10 to arrive (i wont be able to walk 20 minutes to my GP because i'll either be WAYYY TOO TIRED or i'll be asleep). this is seriously torture. im tired as ****. im yawning every 2 seconds literally. my eyes cant stay the slightest bit open. i cant move properly. im soo dehydrated but i can't sleep.

this is the gayest **** ever.

do the 'OTC' ones still have a slight effect? :/

ReputationRep:
    I find OTC Nytol pills work great when I can't sleep. Just make sure you have lots of water to take them with-they don't go down easy.

ReputationRep:
    Prescription ones do. :doctor: :gp:

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like youre going to die, I dont think sleeping pills will save you. Either that or doctors sure have been missing a trick a two.

ReputationRep:
    This username will take you far.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have Zopiclone, which is on prescription, which I take when I need it, and it works.
    Over the counter ones often don't work, but they are worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    tomazipan <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 <3<£

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yournansuckstesticles)
    Since the summer holidays i've been sleeping at like 4am, but for a week now, i havent been able to sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours a day. I've been awake for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT now and feel so tired. I can barely keep my eyes open, yet I can't sleep for some wierd reason! I've been trying to sleep for the past 5 hours because I had something to do at 7 in the morning, but now thats postponed since i'm still awake and tired as ****. I feel so drained its unbelievable. There's a pharmacy right next to where I live, should I pay it a visit? Usually pills like paracetamol / calpol etc. don't work for me.

I'm dying for sleep man, do sleeping pills work?

The clue is in the title...

ReputationRep:
    Re: prescription sleeping tablets, 20mg of tamazepam never worked on me (and most people are only given 10mg), but zopiclone worked a lot better. And diazepam knocked me out (though i was in hospital having a seizure at the time)

Back to OTC sleeping tablets most of the own brand ones like these and these work (i've tried them both).

My advice would be avoid herbal ones though as they've always done sweet f.a

ReputationRep:
    2 Nytol. Done.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on non prescription and prescription pills. Used to take Nytol but they stopped working and if you take them for a long time they can cause liver damage. I was on Zopiclone but that gets addictive. I've taken Quiet Life for 2 years and it works like a dream. I think you just have to find the right ones for you. I think it also depends on your mood as well because if I'm really stressed I produce a lot of adrenaline and so whatever I take I can't sleep. Don't take anything other than actual sleeping pills.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.