Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am a student from Singapore and have just recently received my Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level results, which was taken in the year 2008. I would like to enquire if I stand a realistic chance in law at KCL given my H2 grades are AAB in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics. I have a B in General Paper and Chinese Language, and an additional C for H1 Economics too. I would be presenting some research achievement that I have accumulated in my college days too. I will be applying for deferred entry in 2011.

Would my GCE O Level results weaken my application in anyway? It wasn't too ideal in that case as it is dominated by a majority of A2s and B3s.

ReputationRep:
    Hey (:

If it helps, King's offered me AAA in H2 content-based subjects (maths, lit and history for me) but I got AAB, wrote to them and got in. I also had A in KI and H1 econs. My LNAT was 23 I think.

Also I didn't take O Levels (besides higher chinese) 'cause I'm an IP kid, so I can't help with that. :| I guess if your LNAT and PS are both impressive, you could get in?

From what I've heard, KCL generally offers AAA for Law but you still stand a good chance of getting in if you end up with AAB in the end, but I don't know how it'll affect their decision-making if you apply straight with AAB. Oh - I got a B for history and my history teacher wrote me a letter of recommendation. I think it should help your application if you get your physics teacher to write you a letter of recommendation as well!

I noticed from another thread that you were applying to KCL as your replacement for Oxford though...and I think that if you want to go to Oxford then you should just try for it? Don't worry so much right now - just apply to the universities and let them decide whether you're good enough or not...don't just write yourself off straightaway! I kinda did the same thing and regretted it a little, but now I'm very excited about going to King's. I would personally choose a London uni over Oxbridge for Law 'cause I think London offers a lot more exposure to the law firms, courts and just the world in general, which is important.

Either way, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by con_verse)
    Hey (:

If it helps, King's offered me AAA in H2 content-based subjects (maths, lit and history for me) but I got AAB, wrote to them and got in. I also had A in KI and H1 econs. My LNAT was 23 I think.

Also I didn't take O Levels (besides higher chinese) 'cause I'm an IP kid, so I can't help with that. :| I guess if your LNAT and PS are both impressive, you could get in?

From what I've heard, KCL generally offers AAA for Law but you still stand a good chance of getting in if you end up with AAB in the end, but I don't know how it'll affect their decision-making if you apply straight with AAB. Oh - I got a B for history and my history teacher wrote me a letter of recommendation. I think it should help your application if you get your physics teacher to write you a letter of recommendation as well!

I noticed from another thread that you were applying to KCL as your replacement for Oxford though...and I think that if you want to go to Oxford then you should just try for it? Don't worry so much right now - just apply to the universities and let them decide whether you're good enough or not...don't just write yourself off straightaway! I kinda did the same thing and regretted it a little, but now I'm very excited about going to King's. I would personally choose a London uni over Oxbridge for Law 'cause I think London offers a lot more exposure to the law firms, courts and just the world in general, which is important.

Either way, good luck.
    From your writing, do you happen to be from HCI by any chance?

I gather from other threads that the admission tutors are more forgiving of someone predicted at AAA and achieved AAB as compared to someone who has achieved AAB straight? I have asked my tutor to include a small part towards the end that I'd be predicted at AAA if I had applied prior to the release of the results - would this be useful, in your opinion, since I couldn't have applied last year due to national slavery liability?

Hmmm, I thought about Oxford - since it looks impressive and it's all in a single application form without additional charges, unlike Cambridge, why not? Having that reasoned out, I sought some words out of the Oxford law admission tutors, and while they said chances are very slim, given most would be predicted/have achieved at AAAA or AAA, they encouraged me to apply. Had I done so, I would need to remove one of the universities from my list - either kcl, ucl, bristol, manchester or warwick. It seems that the london universities are just more willing to be lax with their admission criteria - to allow more full-fee paying international students in, than Oxford that demands nothing but pure brilliance. What do you think?

Anyway, thanks for your extremmmely long reply. I'll pass on such a kindness, gladly.

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry I was so wordy, I'm really bored at work. :| :| :|

and no, I'm not from HCI! I'm from the school across the road, actually. :P

I'm sorry, I really can't help much with anything you've asked because all I've got is my personal experience! I actually didn't stalk TSR before/while doing my application like a lot of people seem to be doing, I was busy with my IS at that time so I just applied. Haha. Anyway I think your teacher should know what to write in that letter in order to improve your chances as much as possible...they're used to these sorts of things right?

I think - as I said in my earlier post - that you should just try. if you have to drop a uni to make way for Oxford, I'd say bristol/manchester/warwick - you should qualify for all of them with your grades so just rank them according to preference and drop the last one.

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry I was so wordy, I'm really bored at work. :| :| :|

and no, I'm not from HCI! I'm from the school across the road, actually. :P

I'm sorry, I really can't help much with anything you've asked because all I've got is my personal experience! I actually didn't stalk TSR before/while doing my application like a lot of people seem to be doing, I was busy with my IS at that time so I just applied. Haha. Anyway I think your teacher should know what to write in that letter in order to improve your chances as much as possible...they're used to these sorts of things right?

I think - as I said in my earlier post - that you should just try. if you have to drop a uni to make way for Oxford, I'd say bristol/manchester/warwick - you should qualify for all of them with your grades so just rank them according to preference and drop the last one.
    Okay, NJ.

Haha, I wasn't faulting your verbosity(maybe not since I couldn't think of a better word), instead was full of gratitude for the patience and effort taken to type all those. Out of curiosity, shouldn't you be preparing for your trip to london soon instead of working? September is coming soon you know!:confused:

Hmm, perhaps my tutor has helped some people in her previous college - I wrote the reference and included whatever I wanted and she corrected it a bit, embellished it and decorated further with more songs of praises and achievements. I'll give Oxford some more consideration then. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Okay, NJ.

Haha, I wasn't faulting your verbosity(maybe not since I couldn't think of a better word), instead was full of gratitude for the patience and effort taken to type all those. Out of curiosity, shouldn't you be preparing for your trip to london soon instead of working? September is coming soon you know!:confused:

Hmm, perhaps my tutor has helped some people in her previous college - I wrote the reference and included whatever I wanted and she corrected it a bit, embellished it and decorated further with more songs of praises and achievements. I'll give Oxford some more consideration then. Thanks!
    Where are you from?

Haha I can't even begin to count the no. of times I've seen the word "verbosity" on this forum! <-- just a random comment. Nah it didn't take long to type...it's a welcome excuse to slack a little :P speaking of work, yes I'm working til mid August 'cuz they need the help and I need the money (Law school in London is expensive!! :| )

K I have to rush out one more set of documents before getting off work for the week...guess I'll see you at the UK pre-departure event tmrw? Good luck once again with all your apps!

ReputationRep:
    Where are you from?

Haha I can't even begin to count the no. of times I've seen the word "verbosity" on this forum! <-- just a random comment. Nah it didn't take long to type...it's a welcome excuse to slack a little :P speaking of work, yes I'm working til mid August 'cuz they need the help and I need the money (Law school in London is expensive!! :| )

K I have to rush out one more set of documents before getting off work for the week...guess I'll see you at the UK pre-departure event tmrw? Good luck once again with all your apps!
    Don't tell you!! Where do you think I'm from? Singapore duh:p:

I see, what are you working as? I got a lot of time to work after I get out from National Slavery, like close to 10-11 months depending on which uni I'm successfully enrolled in. Parent's finance to fund the gargantuan costs right?

Ah, I wanted to attend the departure briefing with my friend, who is going to bham. Unfortunately I have got NDP rehearsal at Marina Bay platform - do drop by to take a look if you can? Pretty fireworks and primary school kids.

ReputationRep:
    Haha okay...I'm working in a small law firm, but I signed on as an admin assistant instead of an intern so it isn't what you'd expect...anyway it's a long story.

Tomorrow's packed for me! I have to leave the UK event early as it is...haha, I remember attending NDP rehearsal as a P5 kid!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I wanted to attend the departure briefing with my friend, who is going to bham. Unfortunately I have got NDP rehearsal at Marina Bay platform
    melson, it is sort of fortunate for you to have missed out on the pre-dep event. cause by the end of it, i was cursing existence of national service and was dying to go in time for this matriculation year...

but ohwells, i just have to wait one more year. i cant believe this... argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    melson, it is sort of fortunate for you to have missed out on the pre-dep event. cause by the end of it, i was cursing existence of national service and was dying to go in time for this matriculation year...

but ohwells, i just have to wait one more year. i cant believe this... argh.
    Haha, I hope to be able to attend it next year? Pretty sad if I were to be involved in NDP next year, cause that means I'LL MISS IT.!!:mad: :mad:

Hmmm mind sharing what information you found useful?

ReputationRep:
    Haha okay...I'm working in a small law firm, but I signed on as an admin assistant instead of an intern so it isn't what you'd expect...anyway it's a long story.

Tomorrow's packed for me! I have to leave the UK event early as it is...haha, I remember attending NDP rehearsal as a P5 kid!
    Guess it's all about knowing the right people and making the right connections? Hmm for our year, it's at the National Stadium right? I still remember the Mc Donalds meal box.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I hope to be able to attend it next year? Pretty sad if I were to be involved in NDP next year, cause that means I'LL MISS IT.!!:mad: :mad:

Hmmm mind sharing what information you found useful?
    well the main thing was.. 'exploit your stay at UK to the max. tour europe at discounted rates, open your eyes to the world.' and 'dont waste airfare coming back to Singapore, not worth it' ... haha.. but it was too packed to actually ask questions at the booth set up by commercial partners like travelex and DHL.

the visa booth was pretty useful. and of course the various university booths were manned by current students, so their input were immensely helpful as well. i will probably go next year again, proper this time instead of just milling and glancing around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    well the main thing was.. 'exploit your stay at UK to the max. tour europe at discounted rates, open your eyes to the world.' and 'dont waste airfare coming back to Singapore, not worth it' ... haha.. but it was too packed to actually ask questions at the booth set up by commercial partners like travelex and DHL.

the visa booth was pretty useful. and of course the various university booths were manned by current students, so their input were immensely helpful as well. i will probably go next year again, proper this time instead of just milling and glancing around.
    Woah..! I'm sure that interests most Singaporeans. Besides touring Europe as a student is pretty cheap compared to the price you pay as an adult.

Omg sounds rather interesting. I'll attend it next year.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm already dying for this September to come.

I got to speak to seniors at the KCL booth...well, really just one. There're more Singaporeans at KCL than I expected and most of them seem to be Law students!

and I don't remember the mcdonald's meal box, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm already dying for this September to come.

I got to speak to seniors at the KCL booth...well, really just one. There're more Singaporeans at KCL than I expected and most of them seem to be Law students!

and I don't remember the mcdonald's meal box, haha.
    con_verse, by any chance were you the one who asked the question regarding UK law firms and the limit of UK's employment law being imposed on them during the Q&A session?

just asking. cause the one who asked the question was well.. a girl and a kcl law student.

and yea, theres a lot more singaporeans attending KCL than i expected as well.. although oxbridge, lse, ucl and warwick's popularity is still quite immense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    con_verse, by any chance were you the one who asked the question regarding UK law firms and the limit of UK's employment law being imposed on them during the Q&A session?

just asking. cause the one who asked the question was well.. a girl and a kcl law student.

and yea, theres a lot more singaporeans attending KCL than i expected as well.. although oxbridge, lse, ucl and warwick's popularity is still quite immense.

No that wasn't me! Haha I was a little intimidated that a prospective classmate had already begun thinking about employment when I was still worrying about whether I'd be able to cope with school or not...

anyway, I was the girl in the blue and gold shirt and jeans, if you were at the booth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)

I have been trying to search for the Facebook group for Singapore Freshers 09/10. It does not exist right?

The ones by LSE, UCL and Warwick seems to be brimming with activity.

ReputationRep:
    Hey (:

Either way, good luck.
    Just wondering, how did you get that letter to KCL? Did you ask your history tutor to send via email or by snail-mail? Hope the part my tutor added would be able to drive the point across that my lackluster performance at the A Level physics is more of an anomaly, an aberration, a deviant from my usual performance rather than my maximum potential.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, how did you get that letter to KCL? Did you ask your history tutor to send via email or by snail-mail? Hope the part my tutor added would be able to drive the point across that my lackluster performance at the A Level physics is more of an anomaly, an aberration, a deviant from my usual performance rather than my maximum potential.
    I think she sent by fax & post. Fax/email first so they can consider it with your application sooner, and post so they can verify authencity (school letterhead etc.)

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think she sent by fax & post. Fax/email first so they can consider it with your application sooner, and post so they can verify authencity (school letterhead etc.)

good luck.
    Haha, great thanks. And you take care of yourself over there too alright?

Bon Voyage!
    '

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.