Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcraigsejong)
    It seems that some people like Leicester as a school, others like Sheffield as a city and the new Law Building looks nice but there are not too many rushing to QUB's defence.
    If they are all qualifying law degrees, they should all be fine

I have met someone who studied at QUB and absolutely loved it, so don't be put off it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, JP.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anybody else got an opinion? I am leaning towards QUB, but am running out of time. Thanks, KC

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anybody else got an opinion? I am leaning towards QUB, but am running out of time. Thanks, KC
    Two things: first, see what law library provision and opening hours are like. Second, for your final decision go with your gut. At this point you need to decide on a fairly arbitrary basis.

But how much have you discussed this with your patient Irish girlfriend? She deserves that, especially if she is moving to be with you. Where would she like to live? Where can she find work?

I sympathize with your situation. I am an American applying for 2 year LLB and qualifying law degrees for entry next year. (Although I intend to practice here for a while.) May I pick your brains about this by PM or (preferably) email?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, JJ. I have my interview with the UK Consulate here in Vancouver on Thursday. I guess I need a 3-sided coin. I have talked about this endlessly with my girlfriend, in fact she got tired of talking about it and went back to Ireland. I am happy to discuss this by PM or you can email me at: [email protected]

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, everyone. Leicester it is. I am on the way!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm in Leicester. 483 people in my lectures! It's a bit cattle-class, really. The city is small, pretty in parts and dingy in others. I've got a truckload of work to do. Thank you for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes. KC

ReputationRep:
    Done! Had a good time at Leicester. Now for the NCA exams in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    Great! U did it. Amazing how 2 years fly. All the best in Canada!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, got a good 2.1. And a hell of a learning experience. Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you updated. Anyone out there thinking of Leicester should know that it is a great school with some amazing lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, got a good 2.1. And a hell of a learning experience. Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you updated. Anyone out there thinking of Leicester should know that it is a great school with some amazing lecturers.
    Congrats! I'm halfway through my 2-year BA. It's a hell of a ride.

ReputationRep:
    Merci. Good luck to you at Cambridge, too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. If you are in the UK right now and want to do the UBC LLM CL:

Make friends with the hardest-working people in class that attend all tutorials and lectures, join mooting competitions and win them (not that I made it out of the second round)- failing that win the debate competiton or whatever else they have. Get elected to the Law Society- failing that set up a Canadian Law Society at your university and join it too. Make friends with the academics that organize these competitions; come to all tutorials well prepared and don't re-schedule them in order to keep those academic staff members onside too. Make tonnes of notes, review them as much as you can. Stick to hand-outs, try to avoid going off on tangents. Socialize with the profs, even if it means a few late nights. Get at least a 60% in everything, you are probably going to drop below that once so be able to compensate for it with a few 70s (this puts you in the top 4% of the class in some courses). Remember that the NCA will not give you credit for anything less than a 50%, this might mean having to take Canadian Contract or Property. Yikes. Rote memorization of lists of case names is...weird. Get a white board, copy things onto it obsessively. Get a dictaphone and read out your course summaries onto it at night. Listen to these on headpones. Or don't. Up to you. Use the Q and A books for sample answers, but remember that these were not written by profs at your school so will go in different directions. Visit Magistrates Courts and Crown Courts to put faces to names in the procedure courses. Mention all of this on your CV (not the talking to your dictaphone part). Play up the returning home to ailing family members element. Request three reference letters for the Faculty of Graduate Studies at UBC as soon as your grades are available- let Joanne Chung at UBC know they are coming. Send them a resume too. The document checklist is: two official transcripts, three reference letters and a resume/CV. No LSAT, no personal statement.

Make sure your law school has arranged to send all of the required documents of all of the Canadians there (if there are any) to the NCA as soon as the grades are released, there is no need to wait until graduation but they all have to (should?) be sent there together in one courier package. Decide how many NCAs you will actually write; you are going to be back in Canada for a while so you might as well do some and be able to choose some courses more widely at UBC. If you got more than 7 NCAs, it will be hard (impossible?) to take all of these courses at UBC in the 30 credits on the LLMCL- although you can take as many courses that year as you like. (Check this with Joanne. Try Doug Harris too.) The deadline for applications for May start is October 1st. Applications are made online and decisions are given by email with a letter following.

They say they are going to let in 'some' people in September and throw them right into Canadian upper year courses and then allow them to do the accelerted first year in the following spring. Wow. This will involve getting conditional early acceptance based on UK first year grades. If this is not the way you want to go, remember that this involves cooling your heels for 11 months between UK law school and UBC and you are going to get thrown the fark out of the UK 3 (maybe 4- it was for me but has been reduced) months after you graduate. Anticipate an indecisive Christmas waiting for UBC to make up their minds as this will not happen until January (26th in my case); prepare for this to get really complicated as your friends enrol in the October and January NCA seatings and write multiple exams, others go into LLMs and JDs and you don't and you wonder about whether or not 28 grand to UBC is really worth it.

If you get the 7 NCAs that I got, I think it will look this this in terms of courses:

May- Sept Law 505 Public Law (5 Credits), Law 525 Crim (5 Cr).

Sept- Dec Law 210 Admin (3 Cr), Law 230 Corporate (4 Cr), Law 270 Civil Proc (3 Cr).

Jan- April Law 280 Evidence (4 Cr), Law 399 Advanced Criminal Law (2 Cr) and Law 560 which is a paper based on a JD 300/400 seminar or workshop course you take. I will have to see how that plays out. Law 260 Advanced Criminal Procedure (2 Credits) (maybe take a Graduate Seminar/Tax Law or Advanced Legal Research?)

Remember also: Professional Responsibility Law 468 (3 Credits) [although I have already written the NCA exam for this].

All of these except the last one are given in your choice of semesters one and two (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Other than that: write the exams, kiss the girls and say goodbye to real beer.

ReputationRep:
    Done! The NCA Certificate of Qualification is in the mail.

ReputationRep:
    Done! The NCA Certificate of Qualification is in the mail.
    Was the NCA much harder than the LLB?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.