Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I may be taking a Gap Year but it is highly unlikely my parents would allow me to do travelling with some random organisation and frankly I wouldn't like it either...Im curious as to how important "travelling" is in a gap year?

Surely if you met the requirements of the course you would be a decent enough candidate ?

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to travel, most unis just want to see you've done something 'worthwhile'
    Aka. Getting a job, getting some experience in the field you're going into
    Anything but sitting on the sofa watching tv for a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozzy91)
    You dont have to travel, most unis just want to see you've done something 'worthwhile'
    Aka. Getting a job, getting some experience in the field you're going into
    Anything but sitting on the sofa watching tv for a year
    uh oh :erm:

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing to say you must travel during a gap year, it depends on your personal preferences. As long as you've done something productive with your gap year universities won't hold it against you. Surely you have a reason for taking a taking a gap year, so you already have something worthwhile to do, whether it's earning money or gaining experience to get onto the course you want.

Getting the required grades isn't necessarily enough to gain the place you want, anything you can put on your CV/UCAS form to differentiate you will help out.

ReputationRep:
    Would you parents let you go travelling if you were volunteering with a reputable company? I went off to China to volunteer as an English teacher on my gap year and it really helped flesh out my CV. It was with a company called i-to-i (http://www.i-to-i.com) Think they have loads of trips all across the world, plus they always made me feel really safe while I was volunteering (there was loads of support), so might be worth having a look at.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on what you want to do, but by the sounds of your message you wouldn't enjoy traveling anyway so stick to something more structured.

ReputationRep:
    Do something, otherwise what's the point? You are just wasting a year of your life.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm the same op. i don't really want to go travelling on my own and i don't think my parents would let me!
    i'm having the summer off and then i'm going to start looking for a job, so i can start saving money for uni, and i might also do some volunteer work.
    btu no i don't think you need to go travelling on yoru gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure for just as many people who do go travelling on a gap year there are the same amount of people who don't do that.... as long as you do something productive with your time then who is to judge what you do with your life? If everyone did the same then everyone would be pretty boring! One of my friends worked for a year doing office work in an unplanned gap year and for her this is the best thing she could have ever done as she became so much more confident and happy with herself as a result. There are loads of different things you can do in a year which will leave you with the same personal qualities and attributes than had you gone travelling for a year, people develop their personalities in different ways and I think travelling is just one of many ways you can do that in life.

ReputationRep:
    Go traveling. I finish my summer job at the council on 4th September and have booked sleeper train from Aberdeen on the 21st arrive in London on the 22nd then Eurostar then on to Paris and interalling around Europe. Can't wait. Wanted to leave earlier but I had the dentist and I think my mum is nervous about me going so wanted to postpone my trip a bit.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.