Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They're not the over stylised goth-punks that they used to be? They've completely reinvented their style? I think so. And again.

I only discovered this today. I got one of the biggest musical shocks I've ever had. I'd like to thank the Mercury Prize nominations for informing me.

ReputationRep:
    No. Don't be offended but they aren't good.

Give me one good song of theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    No. Don't be offended but they aren't good.

Give me one good song of theirs.
    'Sea Within A Sea' and 'Mirror Image', and pretty much the entire new album, but those stand out.

And yeah, they've always liked good music from what I've heard but I was still surprised they went from being so ...average to doing something exciting with their second album. It sort of reminds me of Joy Division mixed with My Bloody Valentine in places, which is a very good thing to be compared to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are good now. I realised this when accidentally seeing them live while waiting for Animal Collective at Glastonbury.

ReputationRep:
    Will be seeing them in September at Bestival, can;t wait. I definitely get the Joy Division comparisons. Sea Within A Sea is so epic! I also like their first album too.

ReputationRep:
    <3 scarlet fields. One of the bigger shocks in music this year.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping they wouldnt be terrible as they are playing a festival im going to (OFFSET) in September.
    Better than I remember, but still not entirely my thing.

ReputationRep:
    Sea Within a Sea is decent. They're still a terrible terrible band though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowboy Dan)
    'Sea Within A Sea' and 'Mirror Image', and pretty much the entire new album, but those stand out.

And yeah, they've always liked good music from what I've heard but I was still surprised they went from being so ...average to doing something exciting with their second album. It sort of reminds me of Joy Division mixed with My Bloody Valentine in places, which is a very good thing to be compared to.
    I think Joy Division meets My Bloody Valentine is the best way to describe it.

ReputationRep:
    i agree. their old stuff was appalling tho. "sheena is a parasite" **** off! no matter what you think you are not cool enough to go around changing the names of Ramones songs.
    i was very surprised when i heard the new album indeed

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who liked their first album? I thought it was all quite good fun, saw them in 2007 and they were great live, really energetic and different to bland the kooks etc.

Having said that, their second album was an utter revelation, there has needed to be a shoe-gaze revival for a while now, Glasvegas toyed with it but The Horrors are echoing early MBV. Incredible performed live as well, though their earlier stuff still got the biggest crowd reaction :-/

ReputationRep:
    I think the first album had a few good songs, but failed overall. I never disliked it as much as some people, but it's still a huge improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    I think the first album had a few good songs, but failed overall. I never disliked it as much as some people, but it's still a huge improvement.
    I hated their flash-in-the-pan first album. But their second is an improvement. Good shoegazey album.

However I only really listened after Trent Reznor said he liked it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.