Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a final optional for my B.Sc. in Economics I must choose either Monetary or Public Economics.

I was wondering which of these two may be more useful, both in terms of career and understanding real life

society.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, which module do you prefer? Are you more interested in monetary economics or public finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Well, which module do you prefer? Are you more interested in monetary economics or public finance?
    Neither :p: but I must choose one of both, so I would like to use practicality (or usefulness in career) as a criterion.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say monetary economics for usefulness because it can be applied at a macro and micro level, and would probably be more quantitative so more highly regarded by employers...

But I really don't know for sure...

ReputationRep:
    Monetary economics is generally applied at the macro level in undergrad courses, whereas public economics is usually micro-founded. So... draw your own conclusions. I think monetary economics would tell you more of the background to a regular reading of the FT than the other.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Keraroboli Roko Rosae)
    Neither :p: but I must choose one of both, so I would like to use practicality (or usefulness in career) as a criterion.
    In that case, I'd probably say monetary economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.