Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what that thing in the picture is, with the arrow poiting towards it? Everyone asks me and I don't know. It doesn' even say anything on the Vauxhall manual

Thanks!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This switch is not standard-fit on the car. It has been added by a previous owner and so could control anything.

Originally, this type of thing was common to operate engine cooling fans on older cars, although this practice is now uncommon.

Quite often, chavs wire these switches into cars to operate extra lights, neons, amplifiers etc. Look behind the dashboard and see what it is connected to.

ReputationRep:
    Fiddle with it :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Try it and see what happens.
    It's clearly none standard.

If you're really lucky it'll be a dixie horn!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Is it a switch or does it pull out (or does it twist)? If it pulls out it might be a choke, although that's doubtful. Maybe it's the key to get into Narnia.

ReputationRep:
    He pulls it and finds a secret compartment with a never ending supply of top quality condoms. The previous owner of this car really knew what he was doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee_831)
    Quite often, chavs wire these switches into cars to operate extra lights, neons, amplifiers etc. Look behind the dashboard and see what it is connected to.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    I've fiddled with it loads, does nothing. It pulls out and theres like a little transparent thing in it, and it also moves up and down like a switch. Should I take it to an MOT center?

It doesn't look like a chav car but it is one, there's no "Vauxhall Corsa 1.2" badges on the back either.

ReputationRep:
    VTEC button?

:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    It's non standard, will be custom mod. Just leave it :/. lol

ReputationRep:
    Could be the ejector seat?

ReputationRep:
    it's a cheap crap addon switch installed very poorly .. possibly for cheap front fogs , though the best way to install them would be to get the factory ffl switch which would pop in next to the rear fog switch below the twisty dial for the main lights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    it's a cheap crap addon switch installed very poorly .. possibly for cheap front fogs , though the best way to install them would be to get the factory ffl switch which would pop in next to the rear fog switch below the twisty dial for the main lights
    I don't think it looks crap, tbh. I think it's pretty tidy.

I don't have a problem at all with modifications all over a car.

When it's finished my GT will have loads of switches all over the shop for various little gadgets. I'll be using those red flip top safety switches though. Things like a line lock, 2nd fuel pump, nitrous kill switch, bottle warmer, trans cooler fan override, that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    JC yours will be done properly .... rather than just banging random holes in the dash

i've seen some very shoddy jobs of installing extra switches and some that a pretty damn fab ...

safety switches or the generic truck / bus rockers with any conceivable thing pre printed are pretty good ...

ReputationRep:
    lol. Corsa's FTW

ReputationRep:
    Could be the turbo. Or possibly nitrous. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking afterburner.

ReputationRep:
    Turn on an amp? if the previous owner was too lazy to run a remote cable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    JC yours will be done properly .... rather than just banging random holes in the dash

i've seen some very shoddy jobs of installing extra switches and some that a pretty damn fab ...

safety switches or the generic truck / bus rockers with any conceivable thing pre printed are pretty good ...

As long as the wiring is done propperly i.e soldered and not those mickey mouse chocolate box style "poke the wire in and screw it down" type connectors, (why people insist on using these in cars i'll never know!) then it's fine with me.
    I also object to those scotchlock connectors for tapping into a live feed.
    I prefer to strip the original insulation away, solder in a new feeder wire, then recover with heatshrink and a bit of electrical tape over the heatwrap for extra security. I know it doesn't look incredibly neat having electrical tape all over the place, but i'd rather do it that way than have a fire.

These are the sort of switches I plan on using. Although I'd prefer chrome heads rather than red. Some people call them aero switches although the other term I hear banded about is "safety switches"

Another little project I'd like to try and do is get the now redundant "seatbelts on" light on the dashboard to come on and start flashing via a latching relay when I arm the nitrous switch and only go out once i've first of all given her full throttle and subsequently come off the WOT position. This will obviously release a microswitch mounted on the carb throttle mechanism somewhere and cut the power to the relay.
    OK, I know that's a bit churlish, but sod it! It's my car!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.