Turn on thread page Beta

Jordan Revokes Citizenship of Palestinians watch

ReputationRep:
    It's basically the hottes subject in all pro-Palestinian forums and blogs, although that's the only source I could find for it so far:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1246443863400

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what Jordan has to gain from doing this. Are they doing it just to increase tension between Israel and the Palestinians or are they doing it because the Palestinians are causing trouble in Jordan?

ReputationRep:
    They want to make it clear that Jordan is not Palestine(but it is). Jordan is after all a Hashemite dictatorship, it can't have a Palestinian majority, otherwise the ruling party would be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    They want to make it clear that Jordan is not Palestine(but it is). Jordan is after all a Hashemite dictatorship, it can't have a Palestinian majority, otherwise the ruling party would be in trouble.
    What do Israelis believe will be the consequence of this action??

And what do Israelis think of the US negotiations with Syria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    What do Israelis believe will be the consequence of this action??

And what do Israelis think of the US negotiations with Syria?
    I don't see any massive consequences for Israel - except us being blamed somehow. It's now the interesting bit where we try and work out how Israel is going to be blamed :p:

And the US negotiations with Syria if successful would be a massive blow to Hamas, so that's always good - but the image that Obambi has portrayed has made the negotiations doomed to fail as he no longer has a stick as well as a carrot. Assad can easily be delayed by negotiations and reap the benefits while doing everything contrary to what he says.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any massive consequences for Israel - except us being blamed somehow. It's now the interesting bit where we try and work out how Israel is going to be blamed :p:

And the US negotiations with Syria if successful would be a massive blow to Hamas, so that's always good - but the image that Obambi has portrayed has made the negotiations doomed to fail as he no longer has a stick as well as a carrot. Assad can easily be delayed by negotiations and reap the benefits while doing everything contrary to what he says.
    I don't know I think Syria's arm has been twisted after Israel and the US exposed, and destroyed, that nuclear reactor. Most of the information on that strike is still covert, if Syria does not negotiate properly than I would suspect Obama would threaten to make it overt. Similarly Syria has enough of a carrot with the Golan Heights and influence in Iraq to hopefully accept Israel as a Jewish state.

Syria's acceptance of Israel would be a blow to Hamas, but more importantly it would be a blow to Iran. I think that is the main reason why Obama is pushing for the deal - besides the fact that it would obviously alleviate many of the problems for Israel and the region.

ReputationRep:
    Syria has nothing to give in return to Golan heights, and it's in a bad position ever since the assasination of Rafik Hariri.

I think the only way to solve this conflict is if the international community compensates Israel for the Golan, for example by letting it join NATO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)
    Syria has nothing to give in return to Golan heights, and it's in a bad position ever since the assasination of Rafik Hariri.

I think the only way to solve this conflict is if the international community compensates Israel for the Golan, for example by letting it join NATO.
    I absolutely disagree... whatever happened to the "Peace for peace" situation? Why must we always cede land. Syria paid the cost for constant attacks on Israel through the Golan, ceding it would be inviting Syrian militants to fire at mainland Israel, and would cause us to share half of the Galilee water... disastrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)

I think accepting Israel as a Jewish state is a huge step forward - and I think it is worth the Golan Heights. Such an agreement would tie Syria's hands and would hopefully eliminate its threat to Israel.

Even though I would like Israel to join NATO I just cannot see any Western Europe country agreeing to let their soldiers die for Israel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    I don't get what Jordan has to gain from doing this. Are they doing it just to increase tension between Israel and the Palestinians or are they doing it because the Palestinians are causing trouble in Jordan?
    Well we all know what happened the last time Palestinians were causing trouble in Jordan :rolleyes:
    Although I don't see what the point of this is and what does this mean for the Palestinians in Jordan?

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely disagree... whatever happened to the "Peace for peace" situation?
    Well that's basically what I'm saying - peace cannot be taken as something which Syria gives in return to the Golan heights, sicnce it has no excuse to be hostile in the first place. But that doesn't mean
    the Golan can't be negotiated IF Syria has something substantial to trade for it. It's merely a matter of what Israel has to gain from it.

Why must we always cede land. Syria paid the cost for constant attacks on Israel through the Golan, ceding it would be inviting Syrian militants to fire at mainland Israel, and would cause us to share half of the Galilee water... disastrous.
    Totaly agree, but still, under certain conditions it can be worth it.
    NATO was just an example.

ReputationRep:
    I guess they'll be kicking out Queen Rania then?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

There is no such thing as Pan-Arabism.

ReputationRep:
    Jordan is a fake country. Jordan IS palestine. There was a time when Gaza belonged to egypt and the west bank to Jordan. That was the best time for Israel to fund Palestinian feyadeens (freedom fighters) in Jordan and make Jordan Palestine.

IMO Israel will only find peace if it makes Jordan Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    Syria will take Golan heights back soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    Syria will take Golan heights back soon.
    Maybe through peaceful means - ie Syria will get the Golan Heights if it accepts Israel as a Jewish state.

ROFL at Israel funding the Fedayeen.
    :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Maybe through peaceful means - ie Syria will get the Golan Heights if it accepts Israel as a Jewish state.

They didn't and now their citizens have to go to a bunker in between meals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    They didn't and now their citizens have to go to a bunker in between meals.
    LMAO!

You seriously believe that if Jordan was Palestinian then there would be peace in the Middle East??

Gaza is in Palestinian hands and look how peaceful it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)

Well actually he has a point really. If we had made Jordan keep the West Bank we would have a lot less problems right now. However I think he shouldn't throw stones when he lives in a third world country.

ReputationRep:
    This is great, now the Palestinians might stop blaming Jews for once!

NAAAAAATT

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.