Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you get attached to someone you've never met, i.e someone you've spoken to on the internet for years, flirted with and is upwards of 10 years older than yourself.

Also you've spoken on the phone and do know what they look like.

Would you recommend telling them? OR just to leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I met my boyfriend through Bebo, we were talking on there and through msn for about six months before we met up (now we've just celebrated our 1st anniversery being a couple)- however, I had also been in touch with people he knew so I could pretty much grantee he was who he said he was before meeting him.

However, ten years is pretty much, okay he's admitted this, but the picture might not be right unless you know people who know him. I'd just leave it, sorry, unless you know 100% you can trust him.

ReputationRep:
    Age gap would probably prevent a romantic relationship but theres no reason why you can't be friends.
    Just be careful not to get too attached. (I speak from experiance)

ReputationRep:
    I have a few internet friends who I have never met and never will, but they are cool to chat to on tsr and msn. But yeah, attached is maybe a bit too strong a word for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archlord destin)
    Age gap would probably prevent a romantic relationship but theres no reason why you can't be friends.
    Just be careful not to get too attached. (I speak from experiance)

What happened? Are you still friends, or did it ruin the friendship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    What happened? Are you still friends, or did it ruin the friendship?
    Its hard to explain.
    Lets put it this way: they can block you so you can't speak to them unlike with IRL friends which means that a little spat can turn permanent.
    If you become attached, that will hurt.

with my friend, we are on the rocks.

ReputationRep:
    yep u surely can.. and the fact that u havent met each other yet makes it more stronger coz ur lookng forward to it..

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to explain.
    Lets put it this way: they can block you so you can't speak to them unlike with IRL friends which means that a little spat can turn permanent.
    If you become attached, that will hurt.

with my friend, we are on the rocks.

A partial disagreement happened about a month ago, and a friend of mine (who also speaks to him) told me my messages were being ignored. Hearing this hurt me.

And I got a lil jealous when he began chatting to my friend all the time instead of me about 3 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    A partial disagreement happened about a month ago, and a friend of mine (who also speaks to him) told me my messages were being ignored. Hearing this hurt me.

And I got a lil jealous when he began chatting to my friend all the time instead of me about 3 months ago.
    meet up irl.
    Either that or try to lose the attachment.
    If you do neither, your setting yourself up for a fall.

ReputationRep:
    Age gap doesn't have to mean anything, my bf is 16 years older than me and he makes me so happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Well, I met my boyfriend through Bebo, we were talking on there and through msn for about six months before we met up (now we've just celebrated our 1st anniversery being a couple)- however, I had also been in touch with people he knew so I could pretty much grantee he was who he said he was before meeting him.

However, ten years is pretty much, okay he's admitted this, but the picture might not be right unless you know people who know him. I'd just leave it, sorry, unless you know 100% you can trust him.

I have him added on a few social networking sites and msn, and I know the picture of him is actually him. I don't know everything about him, but feel I can trust him. I'm imagining he feels the same way.

A year or two ago, he wanted to meet. At the time we couldn't but I've offered recently and it seems to fall on deaf ears.

(Original post by Raindrop87)
    Age gap doesn't have to mean anything, my bf is 16 years older than me and he makes me so happy
    What are your ages? if you dont mind me asking.

I am 22 and the guy is 37

ReputationRep:

That could actually work.
    Sorry but I thought you were like 17 falling for a 30 year old.
    Just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    That could actually work.
    Sorry but I thought you were like 17 falling for a 30 year old.
    Just go for it!

I have known him for 6 years, and we've been close online friends since. But only recently have I felt the above.

ReputationRep:
    I have known him for 6 years, and we've been close online friends since. But only recently have I felt the above.
    Grab him before someone else does.
    Don't throw away a chance like this.

ReputationRep:
    It can work if you want it to i.e meet up but with all the rules like in a public place etc
    age doesn't have anything to do with it.

Its a natural reaction to have an attachment, your talking to someone who pas you attention so it can happen. But its so true that if you do have a disagreement online he can block you for as long as he wishes. This has happened to me a while back and we're the best of friends now. But at the time I was heart broken. [We've never met, but still talk online regularly]

I met my bf in a chat room 2 years ago, and we're still together. It was a LD relationship at first and I've moved over to his end.

Im 18, he's 21.

ReputationRep:

I'm 21 and he's 37 it works well as he's like a big kid hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)

You're not still on Bebo, are you? Bebo was, and will always be sad.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    I'm 21 and he's 37 it works well as he's like a big kid hehehe.

So similar to me. Did you meet online or was it IRL? And local or Long distance?

ReputationRep:
    So similar to me. Did you meet online or was it IRL? And local or Long distance?
    Met thru uni, he was doing his masters and I just done my first year. I'd see him around and i'd be all giggly and nervous, but then he invited me around to his and we started getting to know each other

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.