Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

Where are all the future scientists?!

I'm doing Molecular Biology (3yrs)! Anyone doing similar?

ReputationRep:
    hey - if you're doing the three year course, im not entirely sure about the options required in yours, but you may be in my lectures - im biology second year - but i think you just go straight into second dont you on the 3 year?> or is molecular bio different?

ReputationRep:
    no, it's not different with molecular biology I go straight into second year! cool, so you are studying biology... how do you like it? I'm still not sure if I made a good decision by choosing Dundee over other universities :O

ReputationRep:
    i love it - just picked my modules now actually, oh and you did - dundee is amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samputer)
    i love it - just picked my modules now actually, oh and you did - dundee is amazing
    nice! so which modules did you choose? I'm still not sure how many modules I have to choose and how many I can do extra

ReputationRep:
    Heylo again! - i picked.......

(some of these are compulsory for my course (biology))

Comparitive physiology
    Diversity of life
    Genetics
    Microbiology and immunology
    Drugs and Drug Targets
    Animal function

do you take any of those in your first year???

i couldnt find any molec bio module lists on the dundee site - probably just didnt look hard enough...

Good luck here - ur gonna love it! - see you in sept!

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Heylo again! - i picked.......

(some of these are compulsory for my course (biology))

Comparitive physiology
    Diversity of life
    Genetics
    Microbiology and immunology
    Drugs and Drug Targets
    Animal function

do you take any of those in your first year???

i couldnt find any molec bio module lists on the dundee site - probably just didnt look hard enough...

Good luck here - ur gonna love it! - see you in sept!

Sam
    hey

Some of my modules will be the same! I tried to put my timetables together yesterday but I'm not sure how many modules I'm allowed to take. I think its 3 compulsory modules plus 3 other modules but I would like to take 2 more...

this is what I think I will pick:

Biomolecular Chemistry: Shape & Function
    Genetics (compulsory)
    Comparative Physiology (compulsory)
    Cellular and Molecular Biology (compulsory)
    Microbiology & Immunology
    Drugs and Drug Targets

and if possible those 2 extra:
    Human Form and Function
    Biomolecular Chemistry: Theory & Application

Is there no one else here going into 2nd year? :O I feel so alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolecularChrissie)
    hey

Some of my modules will be the same! I tried to put my timetables together yesterday but I'm not sure how many modules I'm allowed to take. I think its 3 compulsory modules plus 3 other modules but I would like to take 2 more...

this is what I think I will pick:

Biomolecular Chemistry: Shape & Function
    Genetics (compulsory)
    Comparative Physiology (compulsory)
    Cellular and Molecular Biology (compulsory)
    Microbiology & Immunology
    Drugs and Drug Targets

and if possible those 2 extra:
    Human Form and Function
    Biomolecular Chemistry: Theory & Application

Is there no one else here going into 2nd year? :O I feel so alone
    Us second years are a friendly(ish) bunch anyways! lol nothing to be scared of - but good luck in finding others!

i cant work out my bloody timetables... tbh lol

ReputationRep:
    i cant work out my bloody timetables... tbh lol
    do you need help?

ReputationRep:
    haha - appreciate it but nah itll be a nice suprise when i get it lol - do you know which accomodation ur staying in yet then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sharing a flat with 2 other students I didn't fancy staying on campus tbh. Where are you staying?

Oh do you know if there are some kind of student jobs at the uni research labs? I can only find vacancies for part-time technicians but the working times aren't manageable for a student.... hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sharing a flat with 2 other students I didn't fancy staying on campus tbh. Where are you staying?

Oh do you know if there are some kind of student jobs at the uni research labs? I can only find vacancies for part-time technicians but the working times aren't manageable for a student.... hmmm...
    klkl - ne idea what part of the city ur in? - im on whitehall street int he city centre above jimmy chungs

errm - tbh ive no idea - ive never heard of anything tbh but its worth looking into - ill ask some friends for you - cant imagine anything for 2nd years really though...

looking forward to it then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biological Chemistry with Drug Discovery
    I couldn't do second year as I haven't done Biology at A Level I did an epic fail and picked Physics instead :|

When do we choose are modules?
    When we meet are tutors before matriculation? Or is it something we have to do online?

ReputationRep:
    ooh there is a jimmy chungs in Dundee! good to know uhm I don't know how to describe where I will be staying It's Loganlee terrace, not far from Lochee Road, if that helps lol

I think getting a lab job won't be the main problem because I went to a vocational college and I'm a fully trained biological-technical assistant. so I already know quite a lot of techniques and methods of different biological fields. but I need a job with flexible working times and that's what makes my search quite tricky

yea I'm really looking forward to it! let's see how long my motivation will last do you know if many people choose modules from outside the life sciences? I was thinking of taking up a language course but I'm not sure if i will have enough time for this

ReputationRep:
    ooh there is a jimmy chungs in Dundee! good to know uhm I don't know how to describe where I will be staying It's Loganlee terrace, not far from Lochee Road, if that helps lol

I think getting a lab job won't be the main problem because I went to a vocational college and I'm a fully trained biological-technical assistant. so I already know quite a lot of techniques and methods of different biological fields. but I need a job with flexible working times and that's what makes my search quite tricky

yea I'm really looking forward to it! let's see how long my motivation will last do you know if many people choose modules from outside the life sciences? I was thinking of taking up a language course but I'm not sure if i will have enough time for this
    I was told we could take things from outside life sciences but I'd asked based on first year so I'm not too sure! I was thinking about doing Theology and the person I asked said that providing there were no clashes with lectures and tutorials it would be okay.

Also I guess it depends on how many compulsory modules you have to do. Have you checked on your MyDundee to see how many of your modules are compulsory? Then you can work out how many free credits you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    When do we choose are modules?
    When we meet are tutors before matriculation? Or is it something we have to do online?
    I think we will get a matriculation schedule and with this we go and meet with our adviser of studies to discuss our module choices. But I'm not sure if that's correct.. Sam can tell us more, I guess

ReputationRep:
    I was told we could take things from outside life sciences but I'd asked based on first year so I'm not too sure! I was thinking about doing Theology and the person I asked said that providing there were no clashes with lectures and tutorials it would be okay.

Also I guess it depends on how many compulsory modules you have to do. Have you checked on your MyDundee to see how many of your modules are compulsory? Then you can work out how many free credits you have
    I know that I'm allowed to take 2 modules from outside life sciences but does that mean I can't do extra modules? For example I would like to take 3 life science modules in semester 1 and one extra module (a language or something else). Would this be possible or are there problems because it would mean I would have more credits than necessary? (sorry for my confusing English lol)

ReputationRep:
    I think we will get a matriculation schedule and with this we go and meet with our adviser of studies to discuss our module choices. But I'm not sure if that's correct.. Sam can tell us more, I guess
    Hey guys - yeah this is true, you meet both your advisor of studies and then matriculate - have to do both. you'll get a time and date to meet your specific advisor alphabetically based on ur surname, once you have done that then you can go through matriculation where you have to take ur student finance stuff etc if ur getting any - matriculation itself iis in bonar hall - busy as hell - you'll just get ur matric card and some general uni related leaflets there - plus theres stalls outside where you can sign up for doctors and careers service etc.

ReputationRep:

Errm... - tbh most people that i know in life sciences don't take anything outside of the course because certain modules can be compulsary to take second year modules etc. - i think i had (i did biology) 2 free modules where i could have taken anything - outside of the life sciences or not - but i guess thats probably different for all degree choices

ReputationRep:
    my only compulsory module is Molecular Science A.

Any suggestions on what other modules I should pick?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Dundee
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.