Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need a new PC for university, but will have to pay by finance. (Rep available) Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My laptop is on its last legs and I really do need a new PC at this point.

I built a PC on the Dell website but was rejected for their personal loan option; I don't see why they think I can't cope with £20/month.

Can you suggest any other websites (preferably ones that let you customise your system), that may be slightly more lenient on the credit check?

Thanks.

(P.S. please no lectures about buying items on credit. I'm perfectly aware of the risks and I wouldn't be considering the thought had I enough money to buy a PC outright)

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get a student account with an interest free overdraft and pay for it that way?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Student overdraft? No interest!

Credit card if you CAN, but that will cost more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    My laptop is on its last legs and I really do need a new PC at this point.

I built a PC on the Dell website but was rejected for their personal loan option; I don't see why they think I can't cope with £20/month.

Can you suggest any other websites (preferably ones that let you customise your system), that may be slightly more lenient on the credit check?

Thanks.

(P.S. please no lectures about buying items on credit. I'm perfectly aware of the risks and I wouldn't be considering the thought had I enough money to buy a PC outright)
    You're 18. You are either unemployed or in a menial part time job. The most you've probably got on credit is a mobile phone contract. Your credit rating will be terrible, not to mention the fact that credit is harder to come by these days. They tend not to give credit to students, either. L i b's suggestion is probably the best way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just use a student overdraft, or get a student account and a student credit card, pay with the credit card and use the interest free overdraft once to pay it once it becomes validated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To open a student bank account I need an unconditional university offer, correct?

If so I'll have to wait until 20th August. It sounds like the best plan, though.

ReputationRep:
    To open a student bank account I need an unconditional university offer, correct?

If so I'll have to wait until 20th August. It sounds like the best plan, though.
    No you don't, you can open an account and credit card now, but you won't get your overdraft until the 20th. You can buy with the student credit card now provided the 20th is within the grace period and your credit limits and overdrafts can cover the computer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    what sort of spec do you need, i.e. what will you be using it for.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    what sort of spec do you need, i.e. what will you be using it for.
    My course requires the use of complex software, so I was thinking of a standard slightly less than that of a gaming PC.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My course requires the use of complex software, so I was thinking of a standard slightly less than that of a gaming PC.
    would you be up for building your own, as you can save some money and get exactly what you want.

out of interest what course will you be doing.

ReputationRep:
    The OP should post a separate thread in the Tech Forum if they want advice about the PC spec.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    would you be up for building your own, as you can save some money and get exactly what you want.

out of interest what course will you be doing.
    I could build my own but I'm afraid that something would go horribly wrong.

And I'm studying BSc Archaeology and I plan on using fossil evaluation software.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I could build my own but I'm afraid that something would go horribly wrong.

And I'm studying BSc Archaeology and I plan on using fossil evaluation software.
    back on topic, as others have said credit card or overdraft, some shops do offer credit themselves, or mabye a parent/guardian could take out the credit agreement and then you pay them the money.

ReputationRep:
    Tech forum.

then we can help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.