Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, i'm thinking of starting boxing but worried I'm the wrong shape/size/weight. I'm 5'11", broad and 14.6 stone. I'm 16, and judging from family I'll probably end up about 6'/6'1" at 18. After looking at weight classes I'd be in heavyweight, and even if I dropped down to about 14 stone I'd be in cruizerweight, so up against some still massive guys. So, if I want to fight should I weight till I'm 18/at uni, or would I stand a chance in cruiser weight as I am now.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    More to do with body proportion really.

Long shin bones,short torso ,wide clavicles, narrow hips and waist would aid the biomechanics of a punch. Long arms would help in tagging an opponent from a distance. A short neck would help in taking a punch.

Of course,you'd best be going to a gym,getting a good trainer and finding out for yourself how much talent you have for the sport.

BTW in boxing endurance and conditioning are vital and far more important than weightlifting strength

ReputationRep:
    thai boxing instead?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let it stop you to be honest. I train with a guy in MMA who's about 5' 6" and weighs about 13st, but he's pretty damn handy when he boxes, just stay close. Having short limbs just forces you to get in close and be an infighter rather than throwing long punches from outside their range.
    Weight categories could be an issue, but I'd go for it anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.