Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, at the moment I have a job workign in a chippy, which I left once and went back to, having realy regretted leaving. The problem is though, I can only get around 12 hours work a week which during summer isn't enough, was hoping to make a killing over these few weeks. Basically what I was wondering is if I were to get a morning job, before work at my current job starts (around 4.45) are there any restrictions on the hours which I could work, I've heard 8 hours in a day, but some days I'd be working 12

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There shouldn't be any restrictions unless you're underage or an international student. Maybe I've picked this whole thread up wrong though. I don't see why you can't work more hours

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that the 92 in your username refers to the year of your birth, you'll be classed as a Young Worker, which means you have different rights and restrictions in relation to work. Check out this directgov site for more info. If you're over 18 you can work whatever hours you like as long as you can still perform your duties properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    If you're over 18 you can work whatever hours you like as long as you can still perform your duties properly.
    The EU working time directive, however, limits you to 48 hours per week - which you can exempt yourself from - but it also limits you to having an 11 hour break between shifts, which you can't opt out of.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I work 3 jobs at the moment and can work in excess of 100 hours a week easy, EWTD means nothing!
    But yeah if you're under 18 there are restrictions on how many hours you can work.
    In theory it should be easy to get a job in which you can leave late afternoon, but in practice unemployment is high and you may be fighting 50 people easy for any job you apply for.
    My advice if you're young (therefore less likely to get even a casual job over an older person with experience) would be to use your summer getting work experience and bulk out your CV to make getting jobs easier later.

ReputationRep:
    If you are 18 or over, you can work as many hours as you want i think.
    If you are under 18 there will be restrictions though.
    Thats if you can find another job- which may be a bit hard at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be lucky to find another job. Seriously, you might not be making a killing with 12 hours a week but count your stars to have a job at all.

Good luck if you try though. I'm lucky in my job though, I'm contracted 16 hours but since starting there I have done a single week under 30. I actually want to do a week of 12 hour shifts one week just to see if I could handle it hah. It's a shame I'm on minimum wage though.

Is the chippy not offering any extra hours?

ReputationRep:
    remember that getting another job counts as a second job, you will pay high taxes on the wages earned from it, so i would reccomend that if the chippy aren't offering you extra hours try and get, say, a supermarket job where there is usually overtime avalable and full time summer contracts. You could also claim the chippy as the second job and pay taxes on 12 hours compared to the potential amount of hours in the new job.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    remember that getting another job counts as a second job, you will pay high taxes on the wages earned from it, so i would reccomend that if the chippy aren't offering you extra hours try and get, say, a supermarket job where there is usually overtime avalable and full time summer contracts. You could also claim the chippy as the second job and pay taxes on 12 hours compared to the potential amount of hours in the new job.
    Good luck.
    Not necessarily - you can elect to split your tax free "personal allowance" between the two jobs as you wish, and you can reclaim any overpaid tax at the end of the tax year. If your earn less than £6,475 in total in a tax year (6 April - 5 April), regardless of the number of sources, you won't have a tax liability to pay for the year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.