Turn on thread page Beta

mistake on manoevers- can I correct it watch

ReputationRep:
    If, on the driving test, you make a mistake on the manoevers, is it okay to start again. Like for example, reversing around a corner, if you are so close to touching the curb, can you put the car in to first gear, go back to the side of the road and start again?

Is touching the curb a fail straight away or a just a minor driving fault?

ReputationRep:
    In my test I clipped the kerb the slightest bit on a tight road and only got a minor for it and passed! Whatever you do, don't start panicking after it happens! I'd say if you know you're not lined up properly, you're best off going forward and then starting again. That way you've not really faulted, you've just made a correction, which is good as it shows you know what you're doing...

ReputationRep:
    You can correct it, but I think you get a minor for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweethunni01)
    If, on the driving test, you make a mistake on the manoevers, is it okay to start again. Like for example, reversing around a corner, if you are so close to touching the curb, can you put the car in to first gear, go back to the side of the road and start again?

i read previous post. lucky lucky.
    touching the curb is a fail straight out.
    no i dont think you can restart, especially if there are other vehcles near you. you can however correct it at the cost of a minor, eg if parallel parking and need to get closer to pavement, you can stop, and then go forwards, but going forwards is a minor.
    you can get lucky if you have a nice instructor, and as long as you can complete the manouever even if it isnt perfect, or you did it in a non conventional way, as long as your safe, you will probs be okay.
    dont worry about it too much - nerves can ruin it!!
    good luck

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: What is written in this post is not necessarily fact, but my own knowledge and opinions of the topic in question. (in response to R Murray.)

ReputationRep:
    yeah you can realign yourself as much as you want, but as above i think it is a minor

ReputationRep:
    Just go really slowly the whole time, it's then easy to make an adjustment and get back on track before you're in trouble. Touching the kerb is only a fail if you do so because of being hurried or fast- i touched the kerb slightly with my rear tyre doing a turn in the road on my test and passed with 3 minors- it was fine because I did my turn nice and slowly and it wasn't dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkybar)
    i read previous post. lucky lucky.
    touching the curb is a fail straight out.
    Like hell it is. If you go onto the Driving Instructors Scottish Council website you should find a link to an assessment of faults. If you clip the kerb, what caused it? what was the effect?
    Cause: Steering
    Effect: Low speed presumably, no one affected
    Fault?: Driver fault

There's a flowchart too, that would back this up.

On topic, yes you can correct a fault during a manoeuvre but it is likely to result in a driver fault. However, if you make so many corrections (forward-back-forward-back...) and still don't manage to correct it, you're likely to get a serious fault as you clearly don't have a clue how to correct it.

ReputationRep:

Yes you can, I can confirm this LoL

Just had my driving test, and I hit the curb slightly on my reverse round a corner, I asked my examiner can I start the maneuver again, and he said, you don't need to, I just need to see you correct yourself, so that we end up in a decent position. So I pulled forward into a straight line and reversed back and corrected it and he said that's fine, no problems, you handled it well.

So just because you hit the curb or go wrong in anyway, doesn't mean it's all over, just correct yourself and most importantly don't panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    I asked my examiner can I start the maneuver again, and he said, you don't need to, I just need to see you correct yourself, so that we end up in a decent position. So I pulled forward into a straight line and reversed back and corrected it and he said that's fine, no problems, you handled it well.

So just because you hit the curb or go wrong in anyway, doesn't mean it's all over, just correct yourself and most importantly don't panic.
    Best advice yet. Remember though, that there's a world of difference between a "touch" and a "hit". At the end of the day, it's down to the examiner's judgement, so be as gentle as you can if you're going to muck it up.

(Original post by fps_cam)
    yeah you can realign yourself as much as you want, but as above i think it is a minor
    As much as necessary, yes. As much as you want, no. If you spend half an hour faffing about backwards and forwards ad nauseam, expect a serious fault for taking more than a reasonable time to complete the exercise. If you took that long to park up in tesco, there'd be a riot.

If you were parking up in town and you made an error, would you really go all the way back to the start? With people waiting? For the sake of the examiner's sanity, please don't start again; just do what you'd normally do on your own and correct it as much as you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Realignment is different to restarting, though. You're not allowed to restart a manoeuver all over again, once you've started it you have to finish it. However, you are allowed half a car length to readjust yourself if needed. You get given a minor, but that's worth it if you go on to pass your test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    You're not allowed to restart a manoeuver all over again,
    No-one said you're not allowed, it's just not necessary and it takes far more time than it should. If people are waiting, the time factor could make all the difference.

you are allowed half a car length to readjust yourself
    I see where you're coming from, but be careful of mentioning specific distances. There are no specific distances, just do what is reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    Well I was making a thorough mess of my parallel park and I asked the instructor if I could start again, he said 'No don't worry just try and correct it' and in the end I only got a minor for it.

ReputationRep:
    You can't completely start again though you can correct (pull forwards on parking and corner) and 5pt turn for TIR. And yes you can clip the kerb. Strangely though some people have been failed for it (I only got a minor) I spose it depends on the safetiness (wonderful word!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Best advice yet. Remember though, that there's a world of difference between a "touch" and a "hit". At the end of the day, it's down to the examiner's judgement, so be as gentle as you can if you're going to muck it up.

As much as necessary, yes. As much as you want, no. If you spend half an hour faffing about backwards and forwards ad nauseam, expect a serious fault for taking more than a reasonable time to complete the exercise. If you took that long to park up in tesco, there'd be a riot.

If you were parking up in town and you made an error, would you really go all the way back to the start? With people waiting? For the sake of the examiner's sanity, please don't start again; just do what you'd normally do on your own and correct it as much as you need to.
    take note, he explained it better

ReputationRep:
    just make sure you do it quickly

ReputationRep:

sorry if it has been said but,

if you reverse round the corner and start going off at the wrong angle whether it be towards the curb or the other side of the road... you can drive forward and reverse again at a better angle and correct it. i did so in my test and didnt even get a minor for it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    My dad's a driving instructor and he's always said that you are allowed to restart. You can't be 100% everytime and sometimes you've just misjudged things by accident. Of course, restarting from the beginning many times i.e. more than 3 times will probably get you a minor.

If you're parking in town for a test for God's sake don't do it quickly because there's a line behind you. The drivers behind could be swearing at you but you have to relax. Forget about the examiner's sanity, you're after a pass and nothing else. Obviously taking half an hour will get you a fault. Just use your common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, there is no need to do it quickly, slowly whatever - if you mess up the reversing round a corner it is very hard to correct it so go forwards and start again - my driving instructor told me this today, so don't listen to people who say you can't, or that you need to do it quickly.

ReputationRep:
    On my test I screwed up the reverse around a corner. Before I hit the curb I asked him if I could take it out and do it again. He said I couldn't completely start again, but I could reverse it round and then take it forward and reverse back in to straighten it up. I did that, and only got a minor for it. If you think your going to be anywhere near the curb, then take the minor and do it again. I passed 1st time, 3 minors.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.