Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best way to clean a laptop keyboard? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Under my keys lie all sorts of crumbs, dirt and hairs.

I'd rather not remove every single key and clean it that way. I've heard that compressed air may be useful?

ReputationRep:
    This is a really silly idea, but I always use a hoover.

But I keep it at least a centimetre away from the keys, 'cause I did suck up my 'O' key once! Remember to give it a little bit of a polish first.

ReputationRep:
    Arghh used to have the same old annoying problem with my old laptop, google it..i cleaned my once or twice..cant exactly remember how though...but it never looks as good as new. Hence i got a macbook pro now...theres no where for all the dirt to go
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Compressed air might do the trick. Alternatively you could carefully pick off all the keys and do it that way. I wouldn't recommend using a hoover though...

ReputationRep:
    You could put a sieve type thing over it and then use a hoover so the keys wouldn't get sucked away :p:

ReputationRep:
    My keyboard is messy , if you turn it upside down and shape it , you can use it as an instrument :awesome:.

I'm going to clean it now.

ReputationRep:
    I attatch the brush thing to the end of the Dyson and use that. It works a treat.

(Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    Under my keys lie all sorts of crumbs, dirt and hairs.

I'd rather not remove every single key and clean it that way. I've heard that compressed air may be useful?
    Yes, removing keys on a laptop's keyboard often results in broken keys, thay're that badly made these days. Compressed air is very good, and so is a folded baby-wipe.

ReputationRep:
    Close the screen down, Turn it upside down, and shake. not too hard. but when you open, the dit will be on the screen. clean it off
    do it a few times. and it should be OK

ReputationRep:
    dont whatever you do remove the keys like your ment to. You'll end up with half of them stuck on with sellotape like me

ReputationRep:
    you can take the whole keyboard out and then clean it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what laptop have u got
    i cleaned mine this morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superluke2k8)
    Close the screen down, Turn it upside down, and shake. not too hard. but when you open, the dit will be on the screen. clean it off
    do it a few times. and it should be OK
    hmmm, even still, i wouldn't risk it without taking the hard drive out
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can take the keyboard out if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    slightly damp cotton buds? or a baby wipe

ReputationRep:
    Yeah baby wipes and cotton wool buds are good

I remember once i tryed to clean my computer, i ended up flooding it..... not the brightest crayon in the box.... i had to buy a new one but it was clean at least....

ReputationRep:
    Take the end off a hoover an use a little nozzle.

ReputationRep:
    USB Hoover FTW!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.