Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember the prospectus I read (for the whole uni, not a specific college) said they required C grades in Maths and English GCSE plus a foreign language, if you didn't have these then you were rejected outright, but that almost goes without saying anyway. I know they've dropped the requirement for the foreign language now, but assume the others are still in place.

ReputationRep:
    Those are the matriculation requirements, which can be waived.

ReputationRep:
    On the college open days most places were saying 5A*s, but they take your individual school into account.

If you only achieve one or two A*s at a very high achieving school, then it doesn't look good. If you achieve one or two A*s at a school where hardly anyone even gets 5A-Cs, let alone A*s, then they'll consider you because you have done well in your circumstances.

Also, they interview about 90% of applicants anyway, so even if you didn't quite get 5 but are predicted good results in your A-Levels, they might still interview you.

The admissions tutor for Arts at Clare college said they understand that sometimes people haven't exactly got themselves in gear at GCSE level so still slack off a bit and only really start to apply themselves at A level, so it isn't that important.

That's all I know.

ReputationRep:
    good question - unfortunately, like pretty much everything else about cambridge admissions, it varies not only from college to college, but between different subjects at different colleges; my Direstor of Studies in my subject (theology at corpus) said they never call for interview candidates with less than 5 A*s at GCSE (outside the Special Access Scheme) but I know people at my college with far less than that doing other subjects and theologians with less than that at other colleges.

Some DoS's and tutors in some subjects have specific cut off points, like mine, most might look at a paper application more wholistically, some won't really care about grades at all, beyond basic requirements, due to their mistrust of GCSEs/A levels.

No-one on here is going to know the admissions secrets of all the DoS's and admissions tutors in cambridge, so you best you can do of you're unsure is email the DoS in your chosen subject at a possible college with your GCSEs and ask. (Say you have less than 5 A*s or less than three As at AS) No point been rejected by an automatic cut off point when you could get an interview elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Colleges can and will waiver the matriculation requirements when it is deemed appropriate. A body exists called the 'Matriculation Board', though I have no idea as to whether this is a centralized University board or that each college organizes it.

ReputationRep:
    my cousin got into cambridge and his highest gcse was a B. he got bs-ds, but all As at AS and A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    No, doing 15 GCSEs just isn't enough :rolleyes:

Of course you've got a bloody chance.
    I'd like to go Cambridge to study medicine

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I really would not worry too much about your GCSE's, i spend so much time and energy stressing about my GCSE's were below the "Cambridge average" but at the end of the day a got an offer and i'm starting in October. I got...
    2 A*'s in maths and additional science
    4 A in science, ICT, geography and resistant materials
    2 B in English and English lit

and yes the total number is just 8, because at my school a Btec is compulsory but i don't count that because i not really think Cambridge look at them

ReputationRep:
    that is immense but i thougth that if you got a fail at gcse; below a C, you could npot be accepted at cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcBleugh)
    To do what?

Just to visit the city, I presume.

ReputationRep:
    I think St Catharine's says as long as you've got 'mainly As and A*s' at GCSE you're okay. It depends massively on your school, I got 1 A*, 7 As, 1 B and 1 C but I was in the top 2% in my school - figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    Those are the matriculation requirements, which can be waived.
    Yup. If they want you enough, based on interview etc., these will be put aside.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty worried about my GCSE results. They're not that good, because i had a lot of time off before and during the GCSE years due to medical issues. I've applied on CSAS because of this, it's mentioned on my reference, and my AS results are all As, so i hope this makes up for it. I only got 1 A* (in Eng lit, which is the subject i'm applying for), then 4 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. However, my school isn't particularly great, so these were actually considered pretty good grades!

ReputationRep:
    hi

i got 1 A* 8 A and 2 B at gcse from state school. I am predicted A in all 4 of my AS Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) also at a state school. I want to apply to do maths at cambridge. is this good enough.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by rdesai737)
    hi

i got 1 A* 8 A and 2 B at gcse from state school. I am predicted A in all 4 of my AS Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) also at a state school. I want to apply to do maths at cambridge. is this good enough.
    This is a very old thread. You'd do better to ask here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2086102
    The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    This is a very old thread. You'd do better to ask here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2086102
    The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.