The new OCR project Specification opens up many more possibilities in terms of project choice. Last year I had a student do a PHP / ASP based information system, which was a new thing for me to assess. This year the possibilities seem almost endless and do not have to be focused on data handling.
How do you make sure that a project:
• Has enough scope (is big enough)?
• Is achievable (is not too big to cope with in the time)?
• Covers the criteria to get most of the marks?
From what I've read of the spec, algorithms still need to be designed, coded and applied to change the data to provide new information (i.e. the system can't just reformat the information).
Suitable Projects Might include
* Stock Inventory database
* Small business appointment booking database
* Educational game (Flash) to meet a specified teaching need. (eg Networks, How CPU works, Guitar chord teacher, Maths game etc)
* Interactive (Flash) based Quiz for specific topic or questions able to edited or imported by non technical teacher
* Nursery school assesment monitoring database
+ many more (feel free to post project ideas...)
Get going with the all day revision thread