Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Several GEPs do not take GCSEs and A levels into account, they only ask for a 2:1 in your degree. GEPs which do this are:
    - Imperial
    - Kings
    - Keele
    - Leicester
    - Newcastle
    - Nottingham
    - St Georges
    - Swansea
    - Warwick

I had CDE at A level as well and got 2 GEP offers and a 5 year offer.

I can't speak for all unis but generally no, you won't be away from the uni, where on earth did you hear that?
    GEP med students usually live in standard uni accommodation and are taught at the medical school where the 5 years are taught.
    aha, I didn't notice that he/she had a degree :o:

ReputationRep:
    Year of Entry: 2009
    Deferred?: No
    GCSEs: 5A* 7A
    AS Grades: AAAA (maths, chemistry, biology, geography)
    A2 Prediction: AAAA
    UKCAT: 690
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 weeks shadowing GP, 3 days in hospital. Fundraising for Poppy Appeal and Rossendale Hospice. Working with disabled children and teaching a couple how to read. Teaching Quran to young children.
    Extra Curricular: Badminton, orienteering, cricket, chess, air cadet, swimming, tae-kwon-do (stopped in 2008 for tae-kwon-do and swimming), D of E (Bronze and almost finished Silver, have started some of Gold) and Prefect.
    Universities intending to apply to (4 of the following):
    - Sheffield
    - Edinburgh
    - Newcastle
    - Nottingham
    - Leeds
    - Liverpool

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan_s)
    (Original post by spike_spiegel)
    Your profiles have been removed from the applicants and profiles thread for now as they should only be posted there AFTER having received decisions from everywhere you have applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I kind of like that I got in with such 'bad' credentials :tongue: Scraping the barrel ftw!

Jest aside, this may give 'lesser' applicants that are technically weaker on paper some hope.

Deferred?: Negative

GCSEs: A*|AAAAAa|BB|C [business|dual science,geography,history,englis h literature,RS|english language,maths|french]
    AS Grades: ABBC [biology,chemistry,psychology,phy sics]
    A2 Prediction/Results: AABc (predictions)
    UKCAT: Avg. 537.5

Work Experience/Volunteering: Three, one week placements with a nice mixture of departments/volunteered at a youth club for about 4-5 months
    Extra Curricular: Football, cricket, snooker and fishing

Universities applied to and decisions:
    Leeds - Unsuccessful [PS: 19/24, academia and referee statement: 11/22 | Total: 30/46 | Cut-off for interview: 38/46]
    Keele - Interviewed - Offer (AAB)
    Nottingham - Withdrawn
    BSMS - Unsuccessful [academic score not competitive]
    You've given me hope that not all medics need straight A's and a year of work experience to get an offer, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chilledice)
    You've given me hope that not all medics need straight A's and a year of work experience to get an offer, thank you
    :yy: That was the intention.

ReputationRep:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogdogdogcatcat)
    Year of Entry: 2010
    GCSEs: 8A*, 3A
    AS Grades: AAAA [bio(298/300), chem(269/300), eco(199/200), maths(289/300)]
    A2 Prediction/Results: Predicted: A*A*A*A [bio, maths, eco, chem]
    UKCAT (if applicable): Average: 758
    BMAT (if applicable): N/A
    Work Experience/Volunteering:
    1 week cardiology dept in hospital
    1 week GP
    Team Leader in Peer Mentoring Scheme
    Working in Primary School in Afterschool club
    Member of India Appeal Team
    blahblah

no idea where to apply, dont want to sit the bmat, and dont want to stay in london =]
    The profiles thread is for people to share their profiles after they have received responses from all the universities they applied to so they can then be linked for applicants future reference. I have moved your post to the discussion thread for now as you haven't applied yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    The profiles thread is for people to share their profiles after they have received responses from all the universities they applied to so they can then be linked for applicants future reference. I have moved your post to the discussion thread for now as you haven't applied yet.
    Really sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    If someone fed all of these profiles into a spreadsheet it would be very useful to the world. I could do a few if anyone else was interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    If someone fed all of these profiles into a spreadsheet it would be very useful to the world. I could do a few if anyone else was interested.
    there are these two links from the FAQ that has everyone ordered under each medical they applied to and whether or not they were successful:

medical schools A-K Medical schools L-W

this would probably be all that you need?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. What I want is a list of all the profiles on that page (140 or so) with their grades in all exams and the outcomes. Then people could ask questions like....whats the average number of A*s for a successful med application against an unsuccessful one and even ones specific to medical schools or Alevel subjects. 140 is not a massive amount of data, but enough to make this worth while I think.

ReputationRep:
    User
    Year
    GCSE A*
    GCSE A
    GCSE B
    GCSE C
    GCSE D
    GCSE E
    GCSE F
    AS 1
    AS 1 Result
    AS 1 UMS
    AS 2
    AS 2 Result
    AS 2 UMS
    AS 3
    AS 3 Result
    AS 3 UMS
    AS 4
    AS 4 Result
    AS 4 UMS
    #AS
    #A2
    BMAT 1
    BMAT 2
    BMAT 3
    UKCAT
    Uni 1
    Uni 1 Result
    Uni 2
    Uni 2 Result
    Uni 3
    Uni 3 Result
    Uni 4
    Uni 4 Result

Basically if someone filled this table out lol (these are the headings)

Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Not really. What I want is a list of all the profiles on that page (140 or so) with their grades in all exams and the outcomes. Then people could ask questions like....whats the average number of A*s for a successful med application against an unsuccessful one and even ones specific to medical schools or Alevel subjects. 140 is not a massive amount of data, but enough to make this worth while I think.
    I see, quantifying med applications. It would be quite interesting to see the results, I must admit. :holmes:

Although it would have to be stressed that people get in with less etc., as some people seem to lack the sense to understand what an average is, and it could just lead to more hysteric threads.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I see, quantifying med applications. It would be quite interesting to see the results, I must admit. :holmes:

Although it would have to be stressed that people get in with less etc., as some people seem to lack the sense to understand what an average is, and it could just lead to more hysteric threads.

But filling out that table (i would help) would enable us to find the average med application profile for TSR.

That would be interesting, but tbh looking at the profiles you get a pretty good idea where the average it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco1)
    Year of Entry:2009
    Deferred?:No
    GCSEs:7A*, 2A, 2B
    AS Grades:aaaa (bio, chem, maths, art)
    A2 Prediction/Results:AAAA
    Previous Degree (if applicable):
    UKCAT (if applicable): 580
    BMAT (if applicable):22
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week hospital, 1 week GP, 1 week bupa care home, at time of app. 8 month circle of support (helping local kids with learning disabilities)
    Extra Curricular: Maths mentor, senior science mentor, orchestra, choir, scouts, gang show, young leader at beaver colony, volunteer at 21st international jamboree
    Cambridge (sidney sussex): Rejected after interview
    Cardiff: Rejection
    Liverpool: Rejection after interview
    Manchester: OFFER AAB

Hi I'm a 2010 medicine applicant, If you don't mind me asking how did you get into manc with a ukcat score of 580? I thought they put quite a bit of emphasis on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    Deferred?: No, gap.
    GCSEs: 1A* 2As 4Bs 1C
    AS Grades: AAAA
    A2 Prediction/Results: AAB
    Previous Degree (if applicable): -
    UKCAT (if applicable): 625
    BMAT (if applicable): -
    Work Experience/Volunteering: Volunteering in an institute for the blind for 3 months. 1 month volunteering in Ghana. 1 week shadowing a neurosurgeon.
    Extra Curricular: -
    BSMS- rej w/o interview
    Keele- rej w/o interview
    Leeds- Withdrawn
    Peninsula- Offer!
    Hey i was just wondering do peninsula rank candidates according to UKCAT because i have basically got a 620 average would that be cutting it fine because one med student got rejected for peninsula due to a low ukcat score of 622.5, so do you think i should go for it or go for something like Keele or Aberdeen. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ear of Entry: 2010
    GCSEs: 8A*, 3A
    AS Grades: AAAA [bio(298/300), chem(269/300), eco(199/200), maths(289/300)]
    A2 Prediction/Results: Predicted: A*A*A*A [bio, maths, eco, chem]
    UKCAT (if applicable): Average: 758
    Work Experience/Volunteering:
    1 week cardiology dept in hospital
    1 week GP
    Team Leader in Peer Mentoring Scheme
    Working in Primary School in Afterschool club
    Member of India Appeal Team
    blahblah

no idea where to apply, dont want to sit the bmat, and dont want to stay in london =]
    dude with these grades you can apply anywhere you like

ReputationRep:
    Year of Entry: 2010
    GCSEs: 8A* 4A 2B
    AS Grades: AAAAB (Biology, Psychology, Maths, Citizenship Studies, Physics respectively) - taken up AS Chemistry in year 13.. slightly worried about not having the whole A level :confused:
    A2 Prediction/Results: A* A* A prediction (Psychology, Biology, Physics respectively)
    UKCAT (if applicable): average 670
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 7 months volunteering in a hospice, unit for children with special educational needs
    Extra Curricular: BrightMed Roadshow, clarinet grade 5, tennis, running, mentor girls in maths and science at school, etc
    BSMS
    Cardiff
    UEA
    Peninsula

Non-medical: Liverpool - Anatomy & Human Biology

Fingers crossed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.