Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shepe002)
    Year of Entry: 2010
    Deferred?: No
    GCSEs: 8A* 4A 2B
    AS Grades: AAAAB (Biology, Psychology, Maths, Citizenship Studies, Physics respectively) - taken up AS Chemistry in year 13.. slightly worried about not having the whole A level
    A2 Prediction/Results: A* A* A prediction (Psychology, Biology, Physics respectively)
    UKCAT (if applicable): average 670
    BMAT (if applicable): N/A
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 7 months volunteering in a hospice, unit for children with special educational needs
    Extra Curricular: BrightMed Roadshow, clarinet grade 5, tennis, running, mentor girls in maths and science at school, etc
    Universities applied to and decisions:
    BSMS
    Cardiff
    UEA
    Peninsula

Non-medical: Liverpool - Anatomy & Human Biology

Fingers crossed!
    Your profile has been moved to the discussion thread as the profiles thread is for people who have already received decisions from all of the places they apply to as they can then be linked to the successful/unsuccessful links for each medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahid)
    Hey i was just wondering do peninsula rank candidates according to UKCAT because i have basically got a 620 average would that be cutting it fine because one med student got rejected for peninsula due to a low ukcat score of 622.5, so do you think i should go for it or go for something like Keele or Aberdeen. Thanks
    I got 625, so it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Year of application: 2010/ 2010 if not accepted
    Deferred?: No / Maybe if I dont get in in 2010 :eek:
    (I)GCSEs: 1 A*, 4 As, 3 Bs, C, D.
    AS Grades: BBDD Spanish(retaking), Chemistry, Physics (rataking), Biology(retaking)
    A2 Prediction/Results: A B CC (spanish, Chemistry, bio, phys)
    UKCAT (if applicable): 500, 600, 560 560, Average 555
    BMAT (if applicable): thought about doing it before taking my AS exams, then after that thought better of it. UCL was going to be somwhere i would want to go...
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 15 days Hospital, planning to go for approximately 30 days in a hospital in Barcelona as a volunteer/doctor shadow student
    Extra Curricular:7 years and counting Rugby club, 2nd year in scuba diving club. {I do not include other hobbies that count as extra cullicular}

Southampton
    Leeds
    UEA :confused:
    Bristol

Backup if don't get into medicine---- UCL Biomedical sciences (I seriously don't want to go though, its not my dream).
    [I am also considering doing chemistry and then Pharmacy if i have to stop with Medicine, in the extreme extreme case.:rolleyes: :eek: ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yurihammo)
    AS Grades: BBDD Spanish(retaking), Chemistry, Physics (rataking), Biology(retaking)

BMAT (if applicable): thought about doing it before taking my AS exams, then after that thought better of it. UCL was going to be somwhere i would want to go...
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 15 days Hospital, planning to go for approximately 30 days in a hospital in Barcelona as a volunteer/doctor shadow student
    Extra Curricular:[/B] Rugby club, scuba diving club. {I do not include other hobbies that count as extra cullicular}

Southampton
    Leeds
    UAE :confused:
    Bristol

Backup if don't get into medicine---- UCL Biomedical sciences (I seriously don't want to go though, its not my dream).
    [I am also considering doing chemistry and then Pharmacy if i have to stop with Medicine, in the extreme extreme case.:rolleyes: :eek: ]

Why are you doing four A2 subjects? With the re-sits you'll have to do, I'd seriously advise you only do three.

Edit -

Also, Bristol? With your GCSEs? I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously, have you done any research?

ReputationRep:
    Extra Curricular:[/B] Rugby club, scuba diving club. {I do not include other hobbies that count as extra cullicular}

Southampton
    Leeds
    UAE :confused:
    Bristol

Why are you applying to the United Arab Emirates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Also, Bristol? With your GCSEs? I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously, have you done any research?
    Hey, mate i know that you aint bein mean, but look yourself -- A100: Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A/A* to include English Language, Mathematics and two science subjects

you are the one to look at the bristol admissions website
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey, mate i know that you aint bein mean, but look yourself -- A100: Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A/A* to include English Language, Mathematics and two science subjects

They are GCSE super whores and you don't meet the entrance requirements of AAB.

ReputationRep:

There's more to it than what they publish on the website...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Med_sj)
    Hi I'm a 2010 medicine applicant, If you don't mind me asking how did you get into manc with a ukcat score of 580? I thought they put quite a bit of emphasis on it?
    I don't know, I never got feedback because I got in. I guess that was just good enough and it's not incredibly low... I had good AS levels though so maybe that made up for it. I got an A in every module so maybe that had something to do with it. I really don't know how they do it all to be honest. I just tried hard to be good all round. Good luck! Message me if you have any other questions
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Med_sj)
    Hi I'm a 2010 medicine applicant, If you don't mind me asking how did you get into manc with a ukcat score of 580? I thought they put quite a bit of emphasis on it?
    Sorry, just checked it was actually 680, must have typed it wrong. Guess that answers your question. Need to change that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teeroy)
    Year of Entry: 2009
    GCSEs: 3A* 7A 1B
    AS Grades: AABBB (Chemistry, Ancient Greek, Biology, Physics, History)
    A2 Prediction/Results: AAAB (Chemistry, Ancient Greek, Biology, Physics)
    Previous Degree (if applicable): N?A
    UKCAT (if applicable): 635
    BMAT (if applicable): 5.3, 6.1, 12.0= 23.4
    Work Experience/Volunteering:
    1 week in a elderly care home
    6 months in local shopmobility charity
    Extra Curricular:
    Badminton
    Table tennis
    Imperial- Firm
    UCL- Unsuccessful
    KCL- Unsuccessful
    Southampton- Unsuccessful

I am very interested as to how you got into Imperial. I am in year 12 and did equally **** in my gcse exams with 4A* (triple science and maths) 6A (english lit, english lang, history, business, french, IT) 1B (Drama)

but seriously was your BMAT good? did your read good books? how was the interview? Did you do well in A levels? How many extra-curriculars did you do?

I'm ******* impressed. Please pm me

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by praneesh)
    I am very interested as to how you got into Imperial. I am in year 12 and did equally **** in my gcse exams with 4A* (triple science and maths) 6A (english lit, english lang, history, business, french, IT) 1B (Drama)
    but seriously was your BMAT good? did your read good books? how was the interview? Did you do well in A levels? How many extra-curriculars did you do?

I'm ******* impressed. Please pm me

Get Out!

Only A*A*A*A*AAAAAAB You call that ****? You are delusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Deferred?: (Re)applicant
    GCSEs: 9A*'s, 1 A
    AS Grades: 5A's (Chemistry, Biology, Pure Maths, ICT, GS)
    A2 Prediction/Results: 3 A's (Chemistry, Biology, Maths)
    AEA: Biology Distinction
    UKCAT (if applicable):750
    BMAT (if applicable): 26.3
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 5 weeks hospital (stroke, cardiology, gen med, T & O (quite simply brutal) and A+E), 2 week GP, 1 year voluntary work in children's hospice + elderly care home (weekends), 2 weeks Vitalise (Southampton)
    Extra Curricular: Duke of Edinburgh Gold, Cricket (local club), County Cricket (Surrey) parts of 2007-2008 season, Piano: Grade 8, Guitar, Blues group guitarist, Luthiery, cycling, Diagnosis Murder and sleeping :yawn:

Oxford (Corpus Christi + Christ Church): Interview - offer (edit: open offer) :woo:
    Cardiff: Interview - offer :woo:
    Birmingham: interview - offer :woo:
    Barts: interview - offer :woo:

UCL (Biological Sciences: Human Genetics) - offer
    you are simply amazing! seychelles huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by your-future-doc)
    you are simply amazing! seychelles huh?
    I wish, the weather would be a damn sight better than here! Freezing my balls going to get milk really isn't fun :p: Just liked the colourful flag

I was a reapplicant btw, the four rejections first time round were slightly less impressive :wink2: Loads of potentially good medical students get rejected each year. Unfortunately that's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    GCSEs: 6.5A*, 3A, 1C
    AS Grades: aaaa in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
    A2 Prediction/Results: AAAa in Maths, Chemistry and Physics (with AS Biology)
    UKCAT (if applicable): 720, 760, 670 750, Average 725
    BMAT (if applicable): 7.9, 5.6, 12.0, Total 25.5
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week Hospital, 1 week GP, 4 months volunteering at local Hospital
    Extra Curricular: Football for a local team, variety of other sports like running, cycling etc. (mainly to stay fit for football), peer mentoring, some film reviews for a local newspaper.
    Oxford (Offer AAA)
    Imperial (Offer AAA)
    Newcastle (Offer AAA)
    Barts (Offer AAA)
    wow. you must be pretty special oxford? where are you now?

did you get a straight up offer for all of them or did you get interviews too?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SyedaA7)
    wow. you must be pretty special oxford? where are you now?

did you get a straight up offer for all of them or did you get interviews too?

Of course he was interviewed, no one gets offers without an interview unless they medical schools does not interview. (i.e Southampton and Edinburgh)

He is at Oxford, and yes to get 4 offers he did very well at the interviews, and has an amazing application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willough1)
    Year of Entry: 2010
    Deferred?: Yes
    GCSEs: 7A*, 4 A
    AS Grades:aabb (Bio., Geog.g, chem. phys.)
    A2 Prediction/Results:AAA (bio, geog ad chem)
    UKCAT (if applicable): 635
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 moths at school for children with special needs, medlink, 3 days in hospital shadowing, st johns, PADI rescue diver, 5 days at G. P. surgery. Jubilee sailing trust tall ships expedition (This was absolutley amazing and i would recomend it to everybody!!!!)
    Extra Curricular: Gold d of e, regional level eventing (horse riding!!!), school swim squad, amnesty international
    SOTON:-rejection
    BSMS:-rejection w/o interview
    Keele:-rejection after interview
    UEA: AAB offer after interview!!!
    hey well done on your fantastic grades... wondering could you send me some information on what you were asked at Keele, as i have an interview..

did they give you feedback as to why they rejected you??

did you read on their website that after you are unsucessful at interview that you cannot apply, is this true...ahh

Medicine is so darn hard to get into !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHMQ786)
    [SIZE="3]
    Profile of a less-than-average student with a low UKCAT, 4 days of work observation (not experience!) and predicted grades of ABB at the time of applying to study Medicine!
    [/SIZE]

Year of Entry: applied in 2008 - Starting Sept 2009 at Birmingham University. The offer they gave me was AAB - with the grades in any order in any subject that I've studied at A Level (Maths, Chem, Bio)
    Deferred?: Nope
    GCSEs: 8 A*'s, 1 A, 1 B
    AS Grades (at the time of applying - not including retakes I did in my second year after my UCAS application had been sent): Chemistry (B), Maths (B), Biology (A), Computing (A), Physics (B) <<< as you can see, my grades weren't exactly all A's when I applied
    A2 Prediction/Results: Maths (B), Chemistry (A/B), Biology (A)
    Previous Degree (if applicable): N/A
    UKCAT (if applicable):598.5 or something like that (it was below 600, which is average, i think)
    BMAT (if applicable): N/A
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 school term volunteering at Ashfield School for disabled children, 4 days of work observation at a local hospital (yes!!! u read right! I only had 4 days, but in my personal statement, I talked about what I LEARNT from the experience, instead of what I saw and how long it was).
    Charity Work: I've been actively involved with a small family charity called The Aziz Memorial Trust. At the interview I had with Birmingham uni, they were very interested to hear how I helped to set it up, what inspired me, what I did for fundraising etc. I'd also taken part in a fundraising walk to raise money for terminally ill children.
    Extra Curricular: I'm an online author. I post stories on fictionpress.com and completed a teenage fiction novel, which I've been hoping to get published. Hence, at my interviews, I stressed the literary skills that I may have that other candidates do not posess. Remember... you have to talk about what YOU are good at... what makes you different.

Universities applied to and decisions: In order of preference when I applied: (for Medicine)
    Leicester University: Rejected... probably due to my low UKCAT result. I had an interview, which I thought went pretty well.
    Birmingham University: Offer: AAB. - Probably because I must have done okay in the interview and they dont take the UKCAT into account
    Nottingham University: Rejected - probably because you have to fill in a questionnaire specifying the length of all the work experiences that you have done!
    Keele University: Offer: AAB - subjects not specified. But I didn't like Keele as it was problem based learning :/

ADVICE: Don't look at the candidate profiles and look at their grades... normally, the grades don't count as much as the rest of your application does (obviously depending on where u apply). Make sure your application/personal statement is checked over by at least five different people - including teachers, careers advisors, and even the companies where u pay money to get ur statement checked.
    I thought i sucked at interview... which i still feel i do... but having mocks are a big help! Make sure u practice before u go in - and dont get overconfident! With me, i've realised that when I'm nervous, that's when the interviews go really well for me. Freaky, lol.
    And finally... when the first rejection comes... it can be a big blow, but u get over it. Just be practical... and try not to sulk for too long. There's not much u can do about it, frankly. What u shud think of, is what u r going to do next...
    On the other hand, if u get an offer... congrats!!!

Good luck with your application. I hope my profile helped :yep:
    hey hey

I was wondering how are you getting on now in medicine??

how did you find the keel interview??
    what were you asked (pm) if you like..

what did you think of it as a whole...was the interivew daunting??

SOrry for all the questions, i seen you didn't mind people asking you queries about you application

Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr0n)
    Year of Entry:2009
    Deferred?:No
    GCSEs:1A, 2B, 1C
    AS Grades:abbb (bio, chem, maths, physics)
    A2 Prediction:AAA
    UKCAT (if applicable): 623
    Work Experience/Volunteering: 3 years HCA
    Extra Curricular: fluent in three languages other than that I dont have any interests outside of medicine.
    Newcastle: Rejected after interview
    Leeds: Rejection w/o interview
    Leicester: Rejection w/o interview
    Keele: offer AAB

according to newcastle feedback, Im focused too much on single aspects of medicine/being a doctor and dont seem to appreciate the multiple facettes of it...why should I lie about my ambitions and the reason I want to go to medschool? yes of course...to get the place!

obviously gcse's and AS doesnt seem to be that important to the unis that interviewed me.
    hey i was wondering how you got on in your keele inteview..what kind of Questions were you asked and stuff...feel free to pm me...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)

GCSEs: A*A*A*ABBBB (BCCC)

AS Grades: AABC (Not Disclosed, school policy)

A2 Prediction: AAB

UKCAT: 532.5

BMAT: 16.9 (5.6, 3.8, 7.5)

Work Experience/Volunteering: 8 Month Hospital Placement, A&E placement, First Aid Qualification (NHS & Arsenal FC)

Extra Curricular: Really its **** all that would help my application, but i put Theater & UCL Physics Masterclass, Building and Maintaining computers, New Scientist Stuff. (They make me sound like a super geek lol)

(2010 entry i will include what i actually do = Football, Golf, Arsenal stewarding, HCA with NHS, GCSE and AS/A Level Science Tutor and going to the gym to relax)

1. UCL - Rejected w/o interview
    2. BSMS - Rejected w/o interview
    3. Bristol - Rejected w/o interview
    4. Soton - Rejected (Waiting List)
    dude, do u mean u scored 8 or 9 out of 30, because I have a lot of work experience and my grades are 2A* 4A 3B 1C for GCSE and my predictions are A*AB and I got ACC for AS, although my teachers say I will get high As in my C subjects from retakes. I am curious if I also only achieve 8 or 9 out of 30.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.