Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I go for my morning run I get a stitch in my side, in the underneath the ribcage sort of area. I try to run through it but after a while I need to stop as it hurts too much and affects my breathing, so I power walk for a bit til it's gone then start jogging and build up to a run again, but it soon comes back. I end up stopping and starting in bursts of run, jog, powerwalk, jog, run and so on.

I don't eat before (I have brakfast when I get back), and I don't drink a lot whilst I'm running, just sip water.

Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what happends to me, anyone have a miracle cure? its so fustrating when my breathing and body feels absolutely fine but im forced to stop because of stitch!

ReputationRep:
    This also happens to me but only when i run outside and not when i go to the gym its strange

ReputationRep:
    Eat a Banana about 40mins before you go - don't ask me why, but it seems to help.
    And the holy grail truth pool of wikipedia has some notes which you may consider.

ReputationRep:
    Drink loads of water and breath deeply.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the breathing techniques on the wikipedia article seem helpful, i'll give it a go tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Last monday I had a football game and I got these stitches on my right side and I didnt care I continued to play and I gave my 200% and felt that my stitch was becoming worse... anyway the game ended and the stitch kind of vanished.. the next morning i woke up with the same pain i felt during the game... I feel it most when i stretch, breath deeply in the chest and when i try to lift up from a lying position...

It's been there for 3 days now... is that normal? can a side stitch have a duration this long?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Erm I think generally the fitter you are the less likely you are to get stitches, so keep at it! Also try to maintain your proper running forms I think helps ie make sure you're upright and the arms aren't coming right across your chest. Maybe do some abdominal exercises to strengthen that area?

ReputationRep:
    Ok i used to get this problem so i can help you out!!!!!!
    Its a good idea for you to eat something very small an about an hour before like a bannana!
    If it occurs while running still its becuse your not breathing right! Breath up through your nose and out through your mouth slowlyyyyyy as this will slow your breathing rate and will increase your oxygen intake!!!
    Hope it works for you.
    x

ReputationRep:
    stop running, bend down and touch your toes
    i have the same problem and found this solution on the internet, i havent tried it yet though

ReputationRep:
    Try to change your breathing pattern - i.e. if you normally breath out when you step onto your right foot, change it so you're breathing out on your left step. I've heard from several people that this helps, although I can't say it always works for me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.