Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-22000-troops/

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates increased the size of the Army by 22,000 troops Monday, as coalition troop deaths this month in Afghanistan reached levels not seen since the worst fighting in Iraq began tapering off in late 2007.

The deaths of four U.S. troops in a roadside bomb attack Monday underscored the significance of Mr. Gates' decision, with at least 30 U.S. combat deaths, 55 deaths for all coalition forces and 11 days remaining in the month.

Mr. Gates said that the increase would raise the Army's size to 569,000 troops and cost an additional $1 billion a year.

"This is a temporary challenge that will peak in the coming year and abate over the course of the next three years," Mr. Gates told reporters at the Pentagon.

Click here to see how the number of coalition troops killed in Iraq compares to the number killed in Afghanistan.

July marks a key month for President Obama's efforts to shift focus from Iraq to Afghanistan, highlighted by the deployment of 4,000 Marines to Helmand province in the south. The president has warned that casualties are likely to increase in the months ahead.

Unlike in Iraq, where the overwhelming majority of deaths were among U.S. forces, other nations such as Britain and Canada accounted for nearly half of the fallen troops in Afghanistan.

Mr. Gates said the increase in overall U.S. force strength was needed in light of escalating demands on the military as a result of "the escalating violence in Afghanistan and political turmoil in Pakistan ... and an associated increase in American forces in Afghanistan."

The casualty rate in Afghanistan can be compared to that in Iraq in 2007, a pivotal year in which the insurgency peaked in the first six months before buckling under the U.S. surge. The toll hit a peak of 131 combat deaths in May and had fallen to 25 in December, according to the Web site icasualties.org.

Seth Jones, an analyst at the Rand Corp. who often travels to Afghanistan, said the terrain makes it difficult to distinguish a bomb from a rock.

A good move to meet current and future challenges. I don't understand why the British Army has been reduced in size, it was already pretty small and now even more. Then of course the leading general in the British Army Lord Dannatt saying that he had to take a tour in an American chopper due to lack of British ones available. That can be found here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6714777.ece

ReputationRep:
    The US defense Budget is the same as the next 45 largest Defense Budgets combined. I don't see how anybody can claim that any country will ever overtake the US as a dominant superpower when no country can match US military capabilities.

This is a good move, especially in regards to Afghanistan and a potential Iranian threat - although any war vs Iran would require the draft.

Neo con are you also thinking of enlisting or getting a commission into the US army/marines/navy/air force?? I think I will join after I finish college, about 4 years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    The US defense Budget is the same as the next 45 largest Defense Budgets combined. I don't see how anybody can claim that any country will ever overtake the US as a dominant superpower when no country can match US military capabilities.

This is a good move, especially in regards to Afghanistan and a potential Iranian threat - although any war vs Iran would require the draft.

Neo con are you also thinking of enlisting or getting a commission into the US army/marines/navy/air force?? I think I will join after I finish college, about 4 years time.
    This is what I think too, glad we are taking pre-emptive action in ensuring we remain the strongest militarily. The world will be safer for it. If a country like China became a superpower, what would they advocate considering their poor human rights record with their own people and their occupation of Tibet. During the olympics buildup China razed thousands of houses and left people homeless just to create some space for the olympics. They also force executed inmates to donate their organs. Terrible.

I finish my degree here in 2 years. After that I am definitely considering a role with the US army, I cannot think of a greater honor. It will be a moment of immense pride. As you say, this expansion of our army is a key move for national security, we have made savings anyway by cutting down funding of outdated F-22's.

ReputationRep:
    F-22s are not outdated, just not suited to current needs. There may come a time when the loss of so many assets that had been planned for will be felt keenly, though I hope for your sakes that is not the case.

What the article doesn't mention is how many soldiers the US Army is losing as a result of the increased activity. It's the spin placed on recruitment numbers by politicians that makes the stats sometimes hard to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)

I finish my degree here in 2 years. After that I am definitely considering a role with the US army, I cannot think of a greater honor. It will be a moment of immense pride. As you say, this expansion of our army is a key move for national security, we have made savings anyway by cutting down funding of outdated F-22's.
    Tbh I am not a fan of cutting spending on F-22s. From what I have heard they are the best fifth generation planes out there and I want our pilots to fly the best, and safest, airplanes out there. But I trust Gates, IMO Gates was one of the redeeming actions of Bush in his 2nd term.

So what brought you over to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Tbh I am not a fan of cutting spending on F-22s. From what I have heard they are the best fifth generation planes out there and I want our pilots to fly the best, and safest, airplanes out there. But I trust Gates, IMO Gates was one of the redeeming actions of Bush in his 2nd term.

It is the only 5th generation fighter. The only other ones of note are the MiG 1.44 and the JSF.

Every other nation's leading a/c [Typhoon, Grypen, J-11, F/A-18E] are 4th generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It is the only 5th generation fighter. The only other ones of note are the MiG 1.44 and the JSF.

Every other nation's leading a/c [Typhoon, Grypen, J-11, F/A-18E] are 4th generation.
    That is what I thought, but I was slightly confused by Neocon calling it outdated (sorry man), which is why I played safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)

That is why I am putting my trust into Gates, he was very impressive in the 2nd term as you say. Well I have actually lived here since 11 when my family moved, studying dentistry currently. Want to move back when all this is over for sure.

ReputationRep:

But even with regards to the MiG and JSF the Raptor is in a league of its own. Abandoning it is a mistake if you ask me - I say export it to Japan and Israel :p:

ReputationRep:
    I read this earlier, good stuff USA. Bolsters the west's armed forces and creates some jobs for Americans.

ReputationRep:
    That is why I am putting my trust into Gates, he was very impressive in the 2nd term as you say. Well I have actually lived here since 11 when my family moved, studying dentistry currently. Want to move back when all this is over for sure.
    I moved here 17 years ago, but next year I am going to college in the States - finally get to live there after all these years of calling myself an American! You should have moved back to the States for college man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    But even with regards to the MiG and JSF the Raptor is in a league of its own. Abandoning it is a mistake if you ask me - I say export it to Japan and Israel :p:
    1) Why waste it on Japan?? Lol keep it between Israel and the States.

2) Is the Eurofighter not a fifth generation fighter??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    That is what I thought, but I was slightly confused by Neocon calling it outdated (sorry man), which is why I played safe.

It's because it was initially conceived and designed as an Air Dominance fighter, who's sole mission was air-to-air combat. Since the need for such an a/c is, at the moment, zero, it's seen as being a bit redundant. But LockheedMartin [the manufacturers] have done a huge amount of work to make it a capable air-to-ground platform too. It's not quite on a par with the -15E, but given half the chance it could get there.

It is, however, massively expensive. Could argue that making more would bring the price down......

(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    But even with regards to the MiG and JSF the Raptor is in a league of its own. Abandoning it is a mistake if you ask me - I say export it to Japan and Israel:p:
    Well, certainly the MiG, but as the JSF is still a few years off service entry it's a little unfair to compare them, especcially as they're designed for fundamentally different reasons. The -15 is better than the -16, but there's still an important place for both of them in the OrBat, just as there's a place for both the -22 and -35. But it'll never get exported! They wouldn't let the convicts have it, even though they requested it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)

1) Because they're one of the few nations that might actually have deep enough pockets to afford it :p:

2) No, to the strictest application of the 'rules' of such thing, it's a 4th generation a/c. A very advanced one, for sure, but 4th nonetheless.

The distinction between 4th and 5th generation is, basically, the application of low observability [stealth] technology, of which, the Typhoon has very little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    I moved here 17 years ago, but next year I am going to college in the States - finally get to live there after all these years of calling myself an American! You should have moved back to the States for college man.
    Tell me about it, feeling abit too englishized :rofl:

So when are you planning on joining the army? They can help pay for law or medical school can't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)

Lol true. But we are Japan's defense. As after pearl harbor Japan was forced to sign an agreement saying it would not build an army/fighter jets e.t.c and we became their defense if they ever needed help.

Time are changing though, Japan and India are good democractic allies in the east compared with nations like China, North Korea. We should allow Japan to make their own nukes, see how China likes that.

Oh yes, but States must always remain top dawg. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    1) Because they're one of the few nations that might actually have deep enough pockets to afford it :p:

2) No, to the strictest application of the 'rules' of such thing, it's a 4th generation a/c. A very advanced one, for sure, but 4th nonetheless.

The distinction between 4th and 5th generation is, basically, the application of low observability [stealth] technology, of which, the Typhoon has very little.
    Ye, thinking about it Japan could do with some decent aircraft considering that Kim Jong Ill is having too much fun with his nukes.

Thanks for all the info! The Eurofighter is still a pretty damned impressive aircraft. Last week I had the pleasure of watching three practice right above my head just as I got into Robin Hood's bay after hiking for 12 days - made the end of the walk pretty special.

A bit off topic, but as you are very knowledgeable in military matters what do you think of the whole helicopter situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I read this earlier, good stuff USA. Bolsters the west's armed forces and creates some jobs for Americans.
    Yeah but i heard they will recruit more immigrants, stupid if you ask me. It is dangerous and there will be less professionalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    They should better give the jobs for builders,doctors and enjineers.Right now they only destroy and make hot points all over the world.
    They already tried to get Russian military help for Afganistan but got refuse.So now they need more your soldiers.
    For example I heard in the TV news that USA bombard several Kosovo districts with forbidden bombs and send Italian and soldiers of other nations there.Many of them died with cancer.
    So I don't think that several months of such job costs your health.

ReputationRep:
    Lol true. But we are Japan's defense. As after pearl harbor Japan was forced to sign an agreement saying it would not build an army/fighter jets e.t.c and we became their defense if they ever needed help.

Time are changing though, Japan and India are good democractic allies in the east compared with nations like China, North Korea. We should allow Japan to make their own nukes, see how China likes that.

Oh yes, but States must always remain top dawg. :cool:

Not strictly true, but close enough for argument's sake.

All their armed forces are titled 'Self Defence Force', so for instance, the Japanese Air Forces is properly titled the JASDF: Japanese Air Self Defence Force, and has some pretty decent kit! [All American or homemade]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.