Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gates bolsters Army with 22,000 troops Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    How about Iraq 1 though, when the US 101st was able to outflank the Iraqi army by the largest helicopter invasion (lol helicopter invasion sounds ******** but you know what I mean) in history. Surely if anyone was to avoid helicopters because of the 1980s Afghan conflict it would have been the States - who masterminded the whole strategy to push the USSR out of Afghanistan by targeting their helicopters?

Well exactly, the point I was getting at is that either argument has plenty of counters. A lack of UK rw assets has, imo, nothing to do with failure to learn from past experiences, but everything to do with a dwindling pot of money and focusing on the bigger tcket items at expense of the lower order ones.

It's the same thing as the problems with air-to-air refuelling aircraft that are being suffered by both British and American air forces, they don't attract the attention until they're really needed, by which time it's too late to do anything quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    is this bill gates, the CEO of Apple?????

why is he even getting involved with war? he should stay away, and instead focus on developing the latest technology. he is pretty rich though!
    Troll??

Try Microsoft

----------------------------

I am personally relieved that the US is taking more responsibility on themselves. Means we can gtfo of there sooner and reconstitute ourselves without the need for constant operations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Well exactly, the point I was getting at is that either argument has plenty of counters. A lack of UK rw assets has, imo, nothing to do with failure to learn from past experiences, but everything to do with a dwindling pot of money and focusing on the bigger tcket items at expense of the lower order ones.

It's the same thing as the problems with air-to-air refuelling aircraft that are being suffered by both British and American air forces, they don't attract the attention until they're really needed, by which time it's too late to do anything quickly.
    KK I get ya, also thanks for the last post now I know why you know so much about planes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    KK I get ya, also thanks for the last post now I know why you know so much about planes!

My knowledge has much more to do with my being a geek than it does my future involvement with the RAF :p:

ReputationRep:
    My knowledge has much more to do with my being a geek than it does my future involvement with the RAF :p:
    Haha but if you were not interested in the RAF i doubt you would have known all that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The last surviving founding member of the RAF died recently too didn't he? Can't remember the name. He was like 112 or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    The last surviving founding member of the RAF died recently too didn't he? Can't remember the name. He was like 112 or something.

Henry Allingham, 113 years young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Henry Allingham

ReputationRep:
    Henry Allingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Henry Allingham.
    Unlucky mate

ReputationRep:
    Meh, my fingers clearly aren't as fast as yours and Drewski's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Meh, my fingers clearly aren't as fast as yours and Drewski's!
    Oh damn, he got there before me. I will now wallow in my embarrassment.
    :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Oh damn, he got there before me. I will now wallow in my embarrassment.
    :sad:

And I typed more... But let's not turn this into a pissing contest :p:

ReputationRep:
    And I typed more... But let's not turn this into a pissing contest :p:
    My internet is slow :yes:

ReputationRep:
    And I'm just tired :P

ReputationRep:
    All 3 of you were on the ball in seconds, well done

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.