Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to France with some friends at the beginning of September - we'll all be 17, me almost 18 =) - and due to recent changes none of us are sure about the drinking age.
    Does anyone know the French laws on drinking and going into bars and clubs?
    Any help would be really appreciated as I don't particularly want the embarrasment of being refused entry!

Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiehook91)
    I'm going to France with some friends at the beginning of September - we'll all be 17, me almost 18 =) - and due to recent changes none of us are sure about the drinking age.
    Any help would be really appreciated as I don't particularly want the embarrasment of being refused entry!

Thanks
    x
    It's 16 for normal alcoholic drinks, 18 for spirits (in bars and clubs).

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    x
    When i was in France working, it was 16 for weaker drinnks - wine / beer etc.. and 18 for strong stuff.

Technically it's 18 to get into clubs.. but they're nowhere near as hot on ID as they are in the UK, if you look around the right age they're normally pretty lenient with girls :p:
    If all else fails try another club til you get into one.. or pretend you left your passport at the hotel
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    16 to buy alcohol (in any form) and to drink beer/wine/cider/etc. on premises, or 18 to drink spirits on premises... and even then, it's rare to be asked for ID in France unless you look about 12.

ReputationRep:
    As said above ^ i'm 18 but didnt get ID'd for the entire time i was in france and we drank a hell of a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Great =)
    Some of the people in our group do look younger - we'll be alright buying them drinks if necessary yeh?

ReputationRep:
    Great =)
    Some of the people in our group do look younger - we'll be alright buying them drinks if necessary yeh?
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

I look really young (as in, in the last couple of months i've been given the childrens menu at frankie and bennys and asked if i'm having a happy meal at mcdonalds lol) and i never had a problem!!

They're so relaxed generally i doubt you'll have too much of a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

I look really young (as in, in the last couple of months i've been given the childrens menu at frankie and bennys and asked if i'm having a happy meal at mcdonalds lol) and i never had a problem!!

They're so relaxed generally i doubt you'll have too much of a problem

aw. cool, i'm sure we'll be alright then. some people can be really stupid can't they!
    thank you =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.