Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and just after a bit of advice from people on my options basically.

I have just graduated from kent uni with a 1st in law - decent uni for law but obviously not overly well regarded in other professions. I am exploring my career options a little bit and wondering if people could advise me what role in banking I could maybe aim for or what experience/courses have people taken to increase their job prospects in this area?

Not expecting people to do the work for me - just after a bit of preliminary advice, thanks

ReputationRep:
    if i was in your position i wd apply to do a finance related masters LSE/CASS etc

Durham has a relatively cheap business school and i hear form ppl that go that it is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was considering a masters but the price has put me off so far. With my degree/uni which masters providers do you think I could aim for?

Or which graduate positions?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. A masters without any work experience is unlikely to do you any good. Assuming the OP hasn't done an internship ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    I disagree. A masters without any work experience is unlikely to do you any good. Assuming the OP hasn't done an internship ?
    Disagree with this.

OP, with a 1st at undergrad you shouldn't struggle getting into a good business school - would definitely add to your application considering that Kent isn't a target uni and your degree is non finance-related...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Disagree with this.

OP, with a 1st at undergrad you shouldn't struggle getting into a good business school - would definitely add to your application considering that Kent isn't a target uni and your degree is non finance-related...

This!

I think durham charge around 6/7k compared to many other business schools this is cheap. Also you will love Durham. Fact

ReputationRep:
    love Durham? its about as exciting as carpet with foam underlay. its like a overflow pool for the toffs who didnt get into oxbridge or imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideal)
    This!

I think durham charge around 6/7k compared to many other business schools this is cheap. Also you will love Durham. Fact

I'm going to Durham for the Msc Ideal refers to.It charges 7.5k btw..Do you think I made a good choice??Are you a Durham ug?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    love Durham? its about as exciting as carpet with foam underlay. its like a overflow pool for the toffs who didnt get into oxbridge or imperial

pmsl! Everyone is quite normal believe it or not.

Alot of ppl did apply to oxbridge...but i don't get why this is a bad thing?

The college sytem is gr8 and gives you the opportunity to get involved in sports that just aren't available at most uni's unless you are of a good standard. For example some college's have an F team that compete weekly in the league.

Durham is very underated in terms of 'excitement' and 'rep' on these forums imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greek)
    I'm going to Durham for the Msc Ideal refers to.It charges 7.5k btw..Do you think I made a good choice??Are you a Durham ug?

your only regret will be is that you didn't apply for an undergrad course! you will love it and 7.5 k is cheapish compared to most places

Which college have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Disagree with this.

Unless the OP is very strong in another way, I doubt it will give him the edge. I suspect for the next few years IB FO roles would be very hard for anyone without any experience or contacts to get into. BSc + experience > BSc + Masters from what I've seen.

It will certainly give him a better chance than just the undergrad degree. But we're talking more about going from a 1% to a 5% chance here, not from 1% to 25% (I just made these figures up based on gut feel; not based on hard data).

OP: You're best bet might be to ask the business school you're interested in to put you in touch with some alumni who started from a similar position to you and see how they've done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideal)
    your only regret will be is that you didn't apply for an undergrad course! you will love it and 7.5 k is cheapish compared to most places

Which college have you applied to?
    I'm from Greece and did my undergraduate studies here..Ustinov College , I'm still waiting to hear about accommodation..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greek)
    I'm from Greece and did my undergraduate studies here..Ustinov College , I'm still waiting to hear about accommodation..

you will be put in the ustinov accommodation. ustinov is full of postgrads so if you don't want to be stuck with a bunch of oldies doing phd's and research i would advise applying to one of the diff colleges (for accommodation) unless ofcourse you're into older women

ReputationRep:
    hehe,I don't think that Ustinov will be full of old people..Unless you think that I am old(24 y.o.)!
    By the way I'm in the waiting list of Ustinov even if I paid before the deadline, and I've been told that maybe I'll have to stay somewhere else.So maybe I'll be moved in another college as you advised me!Almost all colleges are full of postgraduate rooms though..What a mess...Any tips or secrets of living in Durham?Is it so dull and boring as many people say?I'm from Athens , I have lived all my life here (a vibrant,very big city)I'm afraid I'll have a problem in settling up in a tiny village..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greek)
    hehe,I don't think that Ustinov will be full of old people..Unless you think that I am old(24 y.o.)!
    By the way I'm in the waiting list of Ustinov even if I paid before the deadline, and I've been told that maybe I'll have to stay somewhere else.So maybe I'll be moved in another college as you advised me!Almost all colleges are full of postgraduate rooms though..What a mess...Any tips or secrets of living in Durham?Is it so dull and boring as many people say?I'm from Athens , I have lived all my life here (a vibrant,very big city)I'm afraid I'll have a problem in settling up in a tiny village..
    Im from manchester and i find durham much more lively and intersting.

the average age for the college will be >24 so you will be one of the younger ones

it is not dull and boring and it gets this reputation from ppl who have never been there.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're right!Thank you for your info!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thanks for all the advice its been pretty helpful in assessing my options.

I understand there is little to no chance of landing an FO role as I have no experience in the field, but what about MO?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shearingham)
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and just after a bit of advice from people on my options basically.

I have just graduated from kent uni with a 1st in law - decent uni for law but obviously not overly well regarded in other professions. I am exploring my career options a little bit and wondering if people could advise me what role in banking I could maybe aim for or what experience/courses have people taken to increase their job prospects in this area?

Not expecting people to do the work for me - just after a bit of preliminary advice, thanks
    Go for a masters - I know quite a few analysts who have done Law and are now working in IBD division having done a masters qualification. PM if you would like their names, as I'm sure they could help better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.