Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started Uni last year and got my results a few weeks ago. I didnt pass the year, only one module (are you laughing yet). It was a difficult year and I didnt have much support. Most of this year I was quite depressed. Anyway I need some advice please. I really didnt like the course so I thought I wouldnt go back but Im really stuck about what to do. I know I really love Politics and English literature, however I have been trying to get on a good course for this year and most of the places I wanted to go to have filled up. The course Im doing now will give me more prospects and it wasnt that I found the work hard, but I did silly things like rush work at the last min and not study for exams until the last min. Im not sure what happened to me because last year I was on point with everything. Also I dont feel the course has taught me much at all and Im wondering what next year will be like and 2nd year. Im not sure what to do...

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't first year not count for most courses anyway?

ReputationRep:
    My course is in a completely different subject to yours, but I would say just learn from the mistakes you made this year (such as leaving work late to complete) and don't repeat next year. Also, with regards to the first year not teaching you much, a lot of people feel that the first year is fairly straightforward introduction to your degree, you'll probably find the second year a lot more taxing.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    could you not talk to your mentor and see what they suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Okay look, i know some-one who was in a similar sitution, like the above posts say firsts years dont really count. You will be fine just make sure your onthe right course and your work harder the next year and you should be fine. Also there must be loads of mentors and tutors you can talk to at university. Plus most universitys offer their students counciling. You'll be fine with a bit of support from members of staff, family and friends you'll loose this negetive outlook. WORK HARD, YOU'LL SEE RESULTS !

ReputationRep:
    I would e-mail your most understanding lecturer and see what they suggest, especially as they know the system so well and will have had other students in a similar position before.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing is not to panic. Try and think things through (easier said than done I know). Make an appointment to discuss things with your personal tutor and course director - get some input from them. Look at all the alternatives and do some homework prior to meeting them about the potential options. Discuss with them in a rational manner the advantages of changing courses, resits, continuing with courses - what went wrong, what you've already identified and how you can correct it - what support you need, etc.,etc.. This can be resolved - just believe and ask for help from the relevant people. And good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.