Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Triple 19/20,One 17/20 and a 14/20.

Doesn't really translate well into grades as 1/20 does not equal 5% but essentially 5 A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    I think it my first year I averaged 58.5, which is a 2:2 overall.

To be honest, I was rather impressed with that at the time considering the utter half arsed approach I took. Fine for first year, not so great in additional years.
    Got exactly a 58.5 myself, 2:2. But was expected (infact I was preparing for much worse) as I didnt do much work at all during my second semester.

Just as well first year doesn't count . Plan to pull out all the stops next year though.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Thanks! :awesome: I've taken the "start as you mean to go on" approach. I'm a mature student, though, so the prospect of going out on the piss every night really didn't ever enter my head. I only got the results I did (86% avg.) because I'd literally devoted the last 7/8 months to my degree.

I've witnessed the price of failure in my first attempt at a degree and paid the price for it, so I was determined to not make the same mistake twice, plus the generous scholarship that I'll be awarded because of my results, too.
    So there's those two carrots on sticks. But another thing I wanted to do was to prove to the academic snobs on here that A-Level grades mean jack ****. I tire of their endless snobbery about which Oxbridge college they're going to, how AAB is a **** A-Level result and how all ex-polys need razing. If I continue along the same path as I have been doing so far, I'll have proved that quite nicely.
    What an admirable attitude .
    Congratulations! You sound like you've more than earnt the results you've got.

ReputationRep:
    I got me three 2.1s & two 1sts.

I told my old English teacher and her reaction was "Good - that means you had a life"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    Got exactly a 58.5 myself, 2:2. But was expected (infact I was preparing for much worse) as I didnt do much work at all during my second semester.

Just as well first year doesn't count . Plan to pull out all the stops next year though.
    Yeah I was expecting much worse as I too hadnt really bothered, which is why I was rather impressed at the time

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm curious (I'm not familiar with UK system), what exactly 2:2 or 2:1 means?

ReputationRep:
    I averaged at 62.8%, for my modules I got two 2:2s (50, 58), three 2:1s (60,66, 69) and one 1st (74).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter84)
    Hi guys

I'm curious (I'm not familiar with UK system), what exactly 2:2 or 2:1 means?
    2:1 - Upper 2nd Class - 60-69%
    2:2 - Lower 2nd Class - 50-59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    2:1 - Upper 2nd Class - 60-69%
    2:2 - Lower 2nd Class - 50-59%

Thank you

So there are also 1:1 and 1:2?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you

Just 1st class - 70+%

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

No, just a 'First' above that. 70% and above.

ReputationRep:
    It was ages ago now; think I scraped a 2:2.

...Just graduated with a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    Maths : 68%
    Mechanical engineering: 72%
    Electronic engineering: 78%

ReputationRep:
    Do all UK unis have the same classing system? Like awarding 1, 2.1 and 2.2 to students?

I've noticed some have A/B/C grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    I got me three 2.1s & two 1sts.

I told my old English teacher and her reaction was "Good - that means you had a life"
    Love your teacher, love your sig

Me, scraped a 2.1. Best of what I was hoping so I'm uber pleased :cool: shame that the parents don't think so though... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Firsted it.

ReputationRep:
    62% average....not too shabby considering i didn't attend a lotta lectures....course just wasn't for me but stuck out first year anyway

ReputationRep:
    Completely failed...well 2.2's in my first semesters modules and totally failed the other semesters...kind of a combination between illness,family stuff and in a way not be motivated enough to just get on with things...hopefully getting it all sorted though fingers crossed.

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    I passed over all. They give us numbers but apparantly these aren't percentages or equivalents to 2:1s etc, so they're a bit vague about it all. They told us these numbers won't matter much in first year so long as you get above 55 (and we can only get 55s or 65s anyway...it's odd).

ReputationRep:
    I achieved 73% in my first year . At my university, anything above 70% is a first class mark.
    Good - that means you had a life
    Actually, I probably didn't. Congratulations to all those who have received their results. If you are disappointed, remember that it is only the final two eyars that contribute towards the final degree classification at most universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.