Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First year economics i averaged 69.6% ......don't worry i've gotten over the 0.4% lol..[they refuse to round up so stuck with 2.i]

Had 6 modules in total passed every thing!

90%
    84%
    66%
    62%
    59%
    57%

now for 2nd yr arghhh

ReputationRep:
    I averaged 72%. Still nervous about second year though because I had a bit of burnout and I haven't really done any revision in the summer. Also, I have to take compulsory history modules when I haven't done history since I was 14 so I'm going to have to lower my expectations I think.

ReputationRep:
    a 1st some how not sure how i did it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus-mi)
    First year economics i averaged 69.6% ......don't worry i've gotten over the 0.4% lol..[they refuse to round up so stuck with 2.i]

Had 6 modules in total passed every thing!

90%
    84%
    66%
    62%
    59%
    57%

now for 2nd yr arghhh
    Dude, I got 69.6% as well but it was classed as a first. Damn your uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Dude, I got 69.6% as well but it was classed as a first. Damn your uni :p:

omg are you serious?? arghh i hate you :P lolol...yeah its not the uni its the department bloody idiots, i emailed them and everything all he said was that you ONLY got two distinctions thats why he wouldn't round up :confused: so i gave up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Thanks! :awesome: I've taken the "start as you mean to go on" approach. I'm a mature student, though, so the prospect of going out on the piss every night really didn't ever enter my head. I only got the results I did (86% avg.) because I'd literally devoted the last 7/8 months to my degree.

I've witnessed the price of failure in my first attempt at a degree and paid the price for it, so I was determined to not make the same mistake twice, plus the generous scholarship that I'll be awarded because of my results, too.
    So there's those two carrots on sticks. But another thing I wanted to do was to prove to the academic snobs on here that A-Level grades mean jack ****. I tire of their endless snobbery about which Oxbridge college they're going to, how AAB is a **** A-Level result and how all ex-polys need razing. If I continue along the same path as I have been doing so far, I'll have proved that quite nicely.
    I love you!
    I'm hoping to approach university the same way - I'm nearly a mature student and also failed my first attempt at uni, so I really want to make this one count. I'm going to need a 2:i or 1st to get onto the Postgraduate I want, so that's another thing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jus-mi)
    omg are you serious?? arghh i hate you :P lolol...yeah its not the uni its the department bloody idiots, i emailed them and everything all he said was that you ONLY got two distinctions thats why he wouldn't round up :confused: so i gave up
    At our uni the highest lower boundary for a 1st is typically 68% (can be as low as 64% with enough 1st class papers) but there's also no rounding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    At our uni the highest lower boundary for a 1st is typically 68% (can be as low as 64% with enough 1st class papers) but there's also no rounding.

hmmm i think at our uni you need the majority of your modules to be distinctions then they would have probably given me a 1st

ReputationRep:
    A First, and my first year counts as well...albeit fractionally.

ReputationRep:
    I think I probably averaged a low/mid 2:1. But on my course, first year consisted of a lot of electives, which meant that I was studying Philosophy modules as an English student. In those electives, I didn't perform impressively, mainly because I knew that I would never study Philosophy again. Thus, I achieved low 2.1s and 2.2. What was more important, though, was the fact that I performed well in English, gaining high 2.1s and a couple of Firsts. So even though my overall average was pretty 'average', I knew that it was basically irrelevant. When it came to second and third years, I relished studying English and nothing else, and graduated easily with a First. Basically, the moral of the story is: an overall first year grade can be irrelevant, because it's often so different in content to second and third years. It's just important to perform well in the areas that you know you'll be pursuing further in your studies.

EDIT: Obviously, this doesn't apply if your first year marks count.

ReputationRep:
    Got 75% as an average score of all modules studied,which is equal to distinction ( First ). It doesn't count to the degree class but I do feel happy as this will be a record in my life and it means I was serious and worked hard even in my first year of undergrad studies. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I got a mid-2.2 I think. Anyways, it was a disappointment so I pulled up the second year and third year and eventually graduated with a 2.1. My final year average was somewhere around 64 I think, so its all good! And plan to little by little pull it up during Masters too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Badly. Got a 2.2. Lucky for me that the first year doesn't count :awesome:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks! :awesome: I've taken the "start as you mean to go on" approach. I'm a mature student, though, so the prospect of going out on the piss every night really didn't ever enter my head. I only got the results I did (86% avg.) because I'd literally devoted the last 7/8 months to my degree.

I've witnessed the price of failure in my first attempt at a degree and paid the price for it, so I was determined to not make the same mistake twice, plus the generous scholarship that I'll be awarded because of my results, too.
    So there's those two carrots on sticks. But another thing I wanted to do was to prove to the academic snobs on here that A-Level grades mean jack ****. I tire of their endless snobbery about which Oxbridge college they're going to, how AAB is a **** A-Level result and how all ex-polys need razing. If I continue along the same path as I have been doing so far, I'll have proved that quite nicely.
    Who said that to you? I can't think of anyone on the Oxford forum who would say things like that...

Anyway, if you ever get comments like that in the future, do feel free to point them in the direction of my sig and refer them to my A2 grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Who said that to you? I can't think of anyone on the Oxford forum who would say things like that...

Anyway, if you ever get comments like that in the future, do feel free to point them in the direction of my sig and refer them to my A2 grades
    They don't say it to me, personally; I rarely frequent the academic forums. But I do keep an eye on General Uni Discussion and I regularly see this sort of crap posted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They don't say it to me, personally; I rarely frequent the academic forums. But I do keep an eye on General Uni Discussion and I regularly see this sort of crap posted.
    Ah, I see! Yeah, I see lots of that crap too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Just looked back at my results to check what my first year result was.... 53% eep. The worst part was I didn't even find it that easy to achive, I felt out of my depth and confused for most of first year! Just graduated 4 years on with a first class masters so anyone who didn't do so well in first year don't panic yet!

ReputationRep:
    I got 77%. Shame it doesn't count.

ReputationRep:
    2.1 - 61% average as I didn't do great in a couple of modules which dragged me down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Averaged 68%. Pretty pleased!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.