Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an oversea student, i want to know which Univ has the best reputation?

1. Bath
    2. Loughborough
    3. Durham
    4. Leicester

Cheers:yes:

ReputationRep:
    It's subjective, to a large extent, but I'd choose Durham. It's not terribly meaningful though unless you state your course.

ReputationRep:
    out of those options, Durham as it is full of oxbridge rejects.

ReputationRep:
    GUD is populated for the most part by those aged 18 and under, who have very little experience of higher education. They know what a newspaper tells them.

I'm sure you can probably do better yourself, by picking up a copy of the Times league table, thats what everyone treats as gospel around here. I'm telling you right now most people will say Durham, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is for your subject, or that the university is right for you.

Go do your own research into these places, something like unionview.com, see what environment you think you'd prefer. They're all perfectly reputable and well known names- don't let TSR sway you.

ReputationRep:
    With the usual disclaimers as a given viz. reputation isn't the most important thing, pick based on your course and whether you like the university site etc etc., for the prestige factor understood in the broadest sense: Durham, by a long way.

ReputationRep:
    State the course. Generally Durham, however Loughborough is far better for e.g Business

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion:

Durham
    Bath
    Loughborough
    Leicester

ReputationRep:
    Durham
    But loughborough for sports sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanessa44)
    out of those options, Durham as it is full of oxbridge rejects.
    An overstated generalisation. Durham are no different from LSE and UCL. And there are probably more Durham students who never applied to Oxbridge than you realise. I'm a Leeds reject myself.

ReputationRep:
    Durham

ReputationRep:
    1.Durham
    2. Bath
    3. Loughborough
    4.Leister

ReputationRep:
    Durham
    Bath
    L'Boro
    Leicester
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Which course are you looking at? It will vary greatly depending on this.

In general terms, I'd say:
    Durham/Bath
    Leicester/Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    An overstated generalisation. Durham are no different from LSE and UCL. And there are probably more Durham students who never applied to Oxbridge than you realise. I'm a Leeds reject myself.
    I said out of those OPTIONS. meh, it maybe a generalisation but most of my friends who got regected from cambridge/oxford have opted for Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Durham - by a country mile

anyone telling you 'your course matters most' is, unfortunetly, completely wrong. mostly, employers couldn't give a damn what you have studied (medicine, engineering.etc aside obviously!). a decent course at a reputable university is what counts. old 'poly's' (eg leicester) do not count as universities, and 'business' does not rate as a degree.

reputable unviersities =
    Oxbridge
    Bristol
    Durham
    UL
    Newcastle
    Leeds
    Exeter
    York
    Warwick (but it's grim)
    Nottingham

Hope this clears things up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhans121)

anyone telling you 'your course matters most' is, unfortunetly, completely wrong. mostly, employers couldn't give a damn what you have studied (medicine, engineering.etc aside obviously!). a decent course at a reputable university is what counts. old 'poly's' (eg leicester) do not count as universities, and 'business' does not rate as a degree.

reputable unviersities =
    Oxbridge
    Bristol
    Durham
    UL
    Newcastle
    Leeds
    Exeter
    York
    Warwick (but it's grim)
    Nottingham

Thanks, that would have cleared things up, had you been almost completely and totally wrong. Leicester was never a polytechnic, indeed its been an independent university longer than half of the universities on your list. Business graduates are, in general, as employable as plenty of other degrees, and there are far more universities worth going to that aren't on your list.

Good effort.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys. hmm

Can we discuss more in these three fields

Engineering
    Social Science
    Science

Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhans121)

reputable unviersities =
    Oxbridge
    Bristol
    Durham
    UL
    Newcastle
    Leeds
    Exeter
    York
    Warwick (but it's grim)
    Nottingham

Mostly agreed.
    Missed out a few tho, spesh if newcastle and leeds are up there. Bath and Loughborough should be there. Sheffield too.

ReputationRep:
    Durham definitely. But you should research to make sure you're happy spending your time in a small city which is rather like a quiet (and picturesque) town.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.