Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just trying to get a concensus at to what grip to use when deadlifting? I always go with hand facing either direction as thats just what Iv seen in videos but I was talking to a guy at the gym the other day who said that was bad for me? I figure he's probably ************ as he was doing stuff like leg press but just thought it'd be worth a check...

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you like so long as your arms are straight. I use double overhand all the time (hook grip for my heavy sets) but most people I know do all their sets with the same mixed grip. Some people do double overhand on their warmups until they need to use mixed grip.

ReputationRep:
    I use double overhand until I simply cannot lift it anymore. Then I switch to alt grip but I switch which hand is facing me or away every set.

Definitely use overhand for as long as you can.

Also, are you using chalk?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, its not really needed. My hands and forearms are used to this sort of strain from climbing. That is, I figure they probably are, it never strains my forearms or fingers.

So basically there isnt really a strict advantage to any grip. Just need to keep your arms straight

ReputationRep:
    I use double overhand for as long as I can, cos grip= an important aspect of stregth.

But when I start to get above 110 I have to go to mix. But I know some people who imo overuse mixed when they don't need it. If you're knocking out warmup sets then personally I prefer double overhand.

My opinion: Use both

ReputationRep:
    Alternate grip is better than double-overhand grip.

Double-overhand hook grip is better than double-overhand grip.

But the hook grip can be more painful if that bothers you.

I think the hook grip is supposed to be better than alternate grip but I'm not sure.

By better I mean stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Nah, its not really needed. My hands and forearms are used to this sort of strain from climbing. That is, I figure they probably are, it never strains my forearms or fingers.

So basically there isnt really a strict advantage to any grip. Just need to keep your arms straight
    Correct. Mixed grip used to bother my shoulder a bit but I seem to be the exception. If you already work your grip with climbing then there's no reason to use double overhand ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Correct. Mixed grip used to bother my shoulder a bit but I seem to be the exception. If you already work your grip with climbing then there's no reason to use double overhand ever.
    Thanks, and yea. Campus board training works it more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    Is this right? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Is this right? :confused:
    Double overhand is for working your grip and a climber most likely wouldn't need this.

Most people at the Coliseum and at meets use mixed grip for all their sets, it seems to be mostly just a Rippetoe thing that says you shouldn't. Of course if you need extra grip work double overhand is one way of getting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I use double overhand until I simply cannot lift it anymore. Then I switch to alt grip but I switch which hand is facing me or away every set.

Definitely use overhand for as long as you can.

Also, are you using chalk?
    Why?

I think switching grips is unnecessary unless your at a top-level where tiny tiny fractions may make a difference. The vast majority do not train for this top level and I don't believe changing grips is worth it in any way.

Just train forearms if your worried.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point.

I just thought it would be better to keep it balanced for as long as possible. Isn't there a slightly higher risk of injury using alt grip? That's why I only use it when I have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Why?

I think switching grips is unnecessary unless your at a top-level where tiny tiny fractions may make a difference. The vast majority do not train for this top level and I don't believe changing grips is worth it in any way.

Just train forearms if your worried.
    I'm not sure what you're recommending here. Most people's pulling strength is greater than their grip strength. And I've explained why I use the weaker double-overhand grip for as long as possible (balance, possible injury prevention and for increasing grip strength).

I can't pull all of my work reps with a double-overhand grip.

ReputationRep:
    I use overhand for warmups and mixed for heavy lifts. IMO if you train grip separately then it isn't so much of an issue if you decide to use mixed all the way through (excluding injury issues raised above, but I've never felt uncomfortable using mixed).

ReputationRep:
    I think I might swap to double over hand in this case. Lower risk of injury and my grip is already well trained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I see your point.

I just thought it would be better to keep it balanced for as long as possible. Isn't there a slightly higher risk of injury using alt grip? That's why I only use it when I have to.
    Higher risk of a bicep tear I suppose, but it's still a very low risk. I seem to remember Matt told me he damaged his trap pulling double overhand when he was used to mixed so there's always a small risk.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got an image of the different types of grips etc.? I just use standard overhand, both facing same way, not tried alt yet but all these other ones like double and hook i've never seen.

some dude came over to me the other day about to correct my form for my deadlift but he didn't realise i was doing a straight leg DL

ReputationRep:
    Higher risk of a bicep tear I suppose, but it's still a very low risk. I seem to remember Matt told me he damaged his trap pulling double overhand when he was used to mixed so there's always a small risk.
    Yeah, I think it's negligible really. Lifting heavy is a risk anyway. I think just pull however's most comfortable. I just see that the consensus is to use double-overhand when you can, then mixed when you can't; but what has the ***** 'Consensus' over done for me?

Being a climber, he's going to have a good grip anyway. But having an even stronger grip can only help him further, especially being a climber.

ReputationRep:
    Hook:

Mixed:

ReputationRep:
    Yea, Ill go with the double overhand then. Seems to be the best for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.