Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, am just looking at unis starting 2010,

Advertising and marketing communication course looks really good,
    Espesh at London met, and , Manchester met,

My only problem is both are only asking for 240-260points, but i got really good grades at GCSE...
    So do you think i should still go for this course even tho grades are low, or change course completely?! :confused:

Pleasee helppp

xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at advertising courses for 2010 and they all ask for low grades, but just stick with what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Do a traditional subject at a good university and then do an masters degree in marketing. Will look better in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saralou238)
    So do you think i should still go for this course even tho grades are low, or change course completely?! :confused:
    What are your long term aims ?

ReputationRep:
    To get into a job in marketing/advertising/comms all you need is a degree - a masters wont help much and theyre £6-£15k not including living expenses and you dont get any loans from the gov. Manchester has an amazing programme, with Business/Marketing you really need to look at the business schools reputation not the unis. UWE has a low reputation but a brilliant Business School. Just because something offers you a place with 'low' points requirement doesnt mean its bad, over half the people that started my course wont finish because they were rubbish not the uni.

Go and get a feel for the uni/dept/lecturers as well as you need to be in a place you like - I started at Cardiff uni but the whole thing just wasnt for me.

However advertising with marketing is a bit of a silly mix of a course imo if you want to do advertising go to somewhere like Swansea Met Uni with Design for Advertising or do English/Journalism for a Copy Writing job. If you want to do Marketing do Business Management (Marketing)/Marketing/Marketing Communications.

Doing those sorts of course will make it easier to get a job in those areas. A mix will be OK for Marketing but not so easy for Advertising unless you want the general account jobs.

OR there are great 'top-up' programmes you can undertake after your degree/if you choose to stop your degree midway such as the following which are at a college but Plymouth university courses (picked as local so knew about them)

http://www.somerset.ac.uk/index.php?...ourse&c_id=210
    http://www.somerset.ac.uk/index.php?...ourse&c_id=490

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    UWE has a low reputation but a brilliant Business School. http://www.somerset.ac.uk/index.php?view=course&c_id=490[/URL]

How yu finding the MArketing at UWE? Is it interesting?

I dont know whether it would be worth doing a degree in like marketing then as the years go on choose the streams more suited to marketing communications, ...

All i know is that i want a sandwhich course, as for marketing is probably the most sensible and beneficial

Thanks for yur help guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saralou238)
    How yu finding the MArketing at UWE? Is it interesting?

I dont know whether it would be worth doing a degree in like marketing then as the years go on choose the streams more suited to marketing communications, ...

All i know is that i want a sandwhich course, as for marketing is probably the most sensible and beneficial

Thanks for yur help guys
    Ill pm you my response to another TSRer, it has answers to questions but you can ask more if you like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.