Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard university is meant to be the best time of your life, what does everyone else think?
    What are your experiences?

ReputationRep:
    I think it largely depends on the company you keep and how you act.

ReputationRep:
    m not looking forward to university my school life has been too much fun

ReputationRep:
    Varies from person to person.

Some people have the time of their life, others hate it and alot of people are somewhere in the middle.

For me personally its had its good points, but I havent had significantly more fun or anything like that than I did living back home. Not £12,000+ worth anyway.

I was pretty independant before I went to uni, had my own car, made my own meals and managed my own money. My parents were pretty laid back and there wasnt really any rules and restrictions as to what I could or couldnt do, or times I had to be home at night etc, so the transition from home to uni and total independence wasnt a huge one for me. My friends at home are amazing, I live in a bigger, better city with much more going on than in my university one, so really it was kind of a step back for me rather than a step up.

I imagine that for people who have never really had to do much of that for themselves, or still have quite alot of boundaries in place at home that it will all be a huge deal and will all add to the experience. Ive also noticed that people from smaller, quieter areas who move to big cities seem to have a blast at uni. For me though, meh.

ReputationRep:
    No it was mis-sold. I see it for what it is now, a business.

ReputationRep:
    although im not there yet im allready having my doubts - basically its going to cost me £48k - and because its cambridge the workload is going to be absurd so is going to be quite a stresful 4 years - yet obviously i realise its going to give me hopefully a good job at the end of it

But is it really worth £48k + 4 years of rediculous hard work?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think that uni, like anything else, can suffer if you compare it to a really high set of expectations. If you go into it thinking it'll be the Best Thing Ever, non-stop fabulousness from start to finish, and you'll come out knowing the meaning of life, then you may be disappointed.

Will you get to meet new people? Yes. Will you learn a lot? Yes, and not just academically. Will you have new experiences? Certainly - but, being realistic, some of those experiences will be the not so great things (running short of cash, freshers' flu, homesickness) to balance out the fun stuff. I just think if you go into uni - or anything else - convinced it'll be nothing but great, you're liable to be disappointed. If you approach it with an open mind, on the other hand, and are prepared to take the bad along with the good, then yes, you may have the best time of your life in the truest better-or-worse sense of the phrase - it just depends, really, what you're expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    I think that uni, like anything else, can suffer if you compare it to a really high set of expectations. If you go into it thinking it'll be the Best Thing Ever, non-stop fabulousness from start to finish, and you'll come out knowing the meaning of life, then you may be disappointed.

Will you get to meet new people? Yes. Will you learn a lot? Yes, and not just academically. Will you have new experiences? Certainly - but, being realistic, some of those experiences will be the not so great things (running short of cash, freshers' flu, homesickness) to balance out the fun stuff. I just think if you go into uni - or anything else - convinced it'll be nothing but great, you're liable to be disappointed. If you approach it with an open mind, on the other hand, and are prepared to take the bad along with the good, then yes, you may have the best time of your life in the truest better-or-worse sense of the phrase - it just depends, really, what you're expecting.
    Superb advice!

ReputationRep:
    No.. I moved too far away, missed home and my friends too much and now it's too late for me to get a transfer.. gaaah

ReputationRep:
    I loved it. Moved country by myself and made some amazing friends and some amazing times.

ReputationRep:
    I found it better than i expected, i made really great friends and some really great expereinces i really enjoyed uni. It depends wot kind of a person u are and the ppl u meet.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.