Turn on thread page Beta

Christian quotes about footprints/walking/steps watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not exactly clear what you want

Does it just have to be a bible verse that mentions walking/footprints etc? or is it more of a specific feeling that you want to communicate.

When it comes to walking I suppose the only one which springs immediately to mind is

Isaiah 40:31- "Those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint"

But I am not sure if that is the sort of thing you want

If you tell me a bit more about the feeling you are trying to communicate then I might be able to find something.

Personally I love the footprints poem (though unfortunately you can't use it). It was given to me engraved on a mirror when I was baptised by two of my good friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I am not exactly clear what you want

Does it just have to be a bible verse that mentions walking/footprints etc? or is it more of a specific feeling that you want to communicate.

When it comes to walking I suppose the only one which springs immediately to mind is

Isaiah 40:31- "Those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint"

But I am not sure if that is the sort of thing you want

If you tell me a bit more about the feeling you are trying to communicate then I might be able to find something.

Personally I love the footprints poem (though unfortunately you can't use it). It was given to me engraved on a mirror when I was baptised by two of my good friends
    I love the footprints poem too, but apparently the chaplain doesn't

And, well, the liturgy we do is usually held in a field near the grotto in Lourdes, near the cathedral and just away from a place where people light candles for prayers at night. It's just the people from our college group who go to it and it's meant to be a sort of peaceful, serene event and perhaps a little emotional, giving you a sense of your place in the world and your own life. The chaplain does little themes, last year we were each given a piece of a jigsaw and our pieces of this jigsaw were put together to show how parts of our lives fit together to lead to a certain place. This year, I think he wants it to be a theme that the steps we take in our life are given direction by Jesus or something, or just quotes relating to how we are taking different paths in our lives, quite appropriate for a sixth form college with people going to university. So it can be anything like that, even something that says that whatever path we take we'll be supported by jesus or the people around us.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64XWghZrsoE

From 5:15 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)

You have no respect for anyone who doesn't agree with you, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    You have no respect for anyone who doesn't agree with you, do you?
    What a silly accusation.

ReputationRep:

This is irrelevant. I actually specified I didn't want that poem, so your post is irrelevant anyway, and also I'm not religious, however, it's a religious pilgrimage and I'm doing what I've been asked to do.

I also read your signature. What you seem to be saying is that people who follow religion are blindly following something that is unknown. I believe atheism is blindly following the same thing, you don't know there is no god. It's just as blind to say there is no god as to say there is. Whether atheist, agnostic or theist I believe other people's beliefs should be respected, I respect yours (even though from your signature they seem hypocritical) and I deeply respect the beliefs of the often very sick people I will be looking after in Lourdes, and if their religion gives them some sort of peace (which it does) I'm only going to help them on their way to seek that sense of peace, happiness and fulfillment they get from going to Lourdes year after year. Surely, even an atheist cannot argue against that.

Now please, if you have nothing else constructive to say, don't spam my thread with videos from seemingly terrible comedians. If you have something else constructive to say on this thread's subject or the subject of my post, either post on this thread ensuring it doesn't go too off topic, or PM me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Try BibleGateway.com?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I love the footprints poem too, but apparently the chaplain doesn't

And, well, the liturgy we do is usually held in a field near the grotto in Lourdes, near the cathedral and just away from a place where people light candles for prayers at night. It's just the people from our college group who go to it and it's meant to be a sort of peaceful, serene event and perhaps a little emotional, giving you a sense of your place in the world and your own life. The chaplain does little themes, last year we were each given a piece of a jigsaw and our pieces of this jigsaw were put together to show how parts of our lives fit together to lead to a certain place. This year, I think he wants it to be a theme that the steps we take in our life are given direction by Jesus or something, or just quotes relating to how we are taking different paths in our lives, quite appropriate for a sixth form college with people going to university. So it can be anything like that, even something that says that whatever path we take we'll be supported by jesus or the people around us.
    I couldn't really find anything that seemed to fit. I have found this poem (sorry it isn't a bible quote though pinkmobilephone had some lovely ones earlier).

http://www.alighthouse.com/walkingwithjesus.html I don't know if that is any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I couldn't really find anything that seemed to fit. I have found this poem (sorry it isn't a bible quote though pinkmobilephone had some lovely ones earlier).

http://www.alighthouse.com/walkingwithjesus.html I don't know if that is any good?
    Thank you anyway. I think poems and stuff will have to do, I don't think Jesus talked about his feet much so the chaplain can't complain. That's a rather lovely poem anyway and seems fitting so thanks very much. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is a very strange request but I can justify it. I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to put this in but I didn't think it belonged in the religious debate bit so sorry if it's wrong.

Anyway, in just over a week I'm going to Lourdes with a group from my college. Due to me being in the upper sixth and going last yea, I've been asked to help plan the liturgy (I really hope that nobody from the group uses this site now...) and we decided we needed biblical/religious quotes about footprints/walking/steps, like, steps to the future or your path in life.

So, any ideas? I've been looking for a while but can't find any away from the generic "footprints" thing (we've been asked to stay away from that thing that says “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.” because it's a bit predictable).

Thanks for any help and sorry for the really odd request. Unfortunately I'm not religious so it's a bit hard to find things, I'm going to Lourdes again because it's a remarkable experience more than a religious one for me personally.
    The book of proverbs in the Old Testament is very good for this kind of thing. I'll fish out some quotes later if you want.

Also how come you used the term "liturgy" and how can you plan one? Liturgy is the term used by Orthodox Christians (like me) to describe a service similar to Catholic Mass, it involves set prayers (written 1000+ years ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    The book of proverbs in the Old Testament is very good for this kind of thing. I'll fish out some quotes later if you want.

Also how come you used the term "liturgy" and how can you plan one? Liturgy is the term used by Orthodox Christians (like me) to describe a service similar to Catholic Mass, it involves set prayers (written 1000+ years ago).
    I don't know. He (the chaplain) used it. Maybe it's false but I don't know. :nope:

Ok, this is a very strange request but I can justify it. I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to put this in but I didn't think it belonged in the religious debate bit so sorry if it's wrong.

Anyway, in just over a week I'm going to Lourdes with a group from my college. Due to me being in the upper sixth and going last yea, I've been asked to help plan the liturgy (I really hope that nobody from the group uses this site now...) and we decided we needed biblical/religious quotes about footprints/walking/steps, like, steps to the future or your path in life.

So, any ideas? I've been looking for a while but can't find any away from the generic "footprints" thing (we've been asked to stay away from that thing that says “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.” because it's a bit predictable).

Thanks for any help and sorry for the really odd request. Unfortunately I'm not religious so it's a bit hard to find things, I'm going to Lourdes again because it's a remarkable experience more than a religious one for me personally.
    Can I just ask - why footprints? And are you yourself religious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Can I just ask - why footprints? And are you yourself religious?
    My post said I'm not religious :p: I'm agnostic. I go to Lourdes because it opens my eyes a bit, and it's a great experience. So it means I have to go along with the religious things they do, and I have to follow my responsibilities which sometimes include doing religious things. I'm very careful I don't disrespect any religion though for example I only taking blessings when other people are taking the bread during mass. I'm not the only one though, I think the experience is hard to explain.

The footprints theme is mainly to reflect our paths in life and the steps we take in life.

ReputationRep:
    This is irrelevant. I actually specified I didn't want that poem, so your post is irrelevant anyway, and also I'm not religious, however, it's a religious pilgrimage and I'm doing what I've been asked to do.

I also read your signature. What you seem to be saying is that people who follow religion are blindly following something that is unknown. I believe atheism is blindly following the same thing, you don't know there is no god. It's just as blind to say there is no god as to say there is. Whether atheist, agnostic or theist I believe other people's beliefs should be respected, I respect yours (even though from your signature they seem hypocritical) and I deeply respect the beliefs of the often very sick people I will be looking after in Lourdes, and if their religion gives them some sort of peace (which it does) I'm only going to help them on their way to seek that sense of peace, happiness and fulfillment they get from going to Lourdes year after year. Surely, even an atheist cannot argue against that.

Now please, if you have nothing else constructive to say, don't spam my thread with videos from seemingly terrible comedians. If you have something else constructive to say on this thread's subject or the subject of my post, either post on this thread ensuring it doesn't go too off topic, or PM me. Thanks.
    No, nobody knows that there definitely isn't a god. I don't think many atheists hold that there definitely is no god. How is atheism 'blindly following'? Following what?

ReputationRep:
    No, nobody knows that there definitely isn't a god. I don't think many atheists hold that there definitely is no god. How is atheism 'blindly following'? Following what?
    Many atheists say that they don't believe in God, because of absense of evidence, so they are blindly following another belief.

My post said I'm not religious I'm agnostic. I go to Lourdes because it opens my eyes a bit, and it's a great experience. So it means I have to go along with the religious things they do, and I have to follow my responsibilities which sometimes include doing religious things. I'm very careful I don't disrespect any religion though for example I only taking blessings when other people are taking the bread during mass. I'm not the only one though, I think the experience is hard to explain.

The footprints theme is mainly to reflect our paths in life and the steps we take in life.
    Let me get this right: you, a non-beliver, are visiting a pilgrimage site and going to attempt to design a sermon based on a religion that you don't adhere to or understand? Visiting a pilgrimage site isn't RE, it's real life.

ReputationRep:
    Many atheists say that they don't believe in God, because of absense of evidence, so they are blindly following another belief.
    So if you don't believe in the Loch Ness monster or aliens, are you blindly following something as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Let me get this right: you, a non-beliver, are visiting a pilgrimage site and going to attempt to design a sermon based on a religion that you don't adhere to or understand? Visiting a pilgrimage site isn't RE, it's real life.
    The chaplain KNOWS I'm not religious. I realise the pilgrimage is not RE, but I'm doing nothing to offend anyone and at the same time I'm helping people and I'm enjoying it myself. Many people go who are not religious and nobody has a problem with it. Are you religious yourself? If you are, if I've offended you then I am quite happy to justify why you shouldn't be offended. If you're not relgious, I fail to see the problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    So if you don't believe in the Loch Ness monster or aliens, are you blindly following something as well?
    I don't know about those either. People have "seen" what they think is the loch ness monster, and people have "seen" what they think are aliens, I rule neither of them out until there is proof either way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about those either. People have "seen" what they think is the loch ness monster, and people have "seen" what they think are aliens, I rule neither of them out until there is proof either way.
    Intellectually that's a very weak approach. Are you saying that you don't know whether the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists, or Russell's teapot? Pink elephants on the moon? Surely for something to be considered real, we need evidence for it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.