Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christian quotes about footprints/walking/steps Watch

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    The chaplain KNOWS I'm not religious. I realise the pilgrimage is not RE, but I'm doing nothing to offend anyone and at the same time I'm helping people and I'm enjoying it myself. Many people go who are not religious and nobody has a problem with it. Are you religious yourself? If you are, if I've offended you then I am quite happy to justify why you shouldn't be offended. If you're not relgious, I fail to see the problem with it.
    I'm not asking you to justify yourself; neither am I teling you that you shouldn't do it. I was merely asking you if my assumption was correct.

And I would like to add that yes, I am a Christian, and as such would have every right to be offended if I was so inclined - though I am neither offended nor of such an inclination.

I don't particularly know of a passage that mentions walking, except the one in John's Gospel where Peter saw Christ walking across the river. There's a little bit in Psalm 91 that might be right for you, but other than that I couldn't name anything, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Intellectually that's a very weak approach. Are you saying that you don't know whether the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists, or Russell's teapot? Pink elephants on the moon? Surely for something to be considered real, we need evidence for it?
    Look, take this up through PM if you wish because this thread is being spammed to death. I have my reasons for this and I respect atheism as well as theism and whatever belief, it's just my approach is that I won't believe in the lack of something other people are convinced by the existance of until there is evidence for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'm not asking you to justify yourself; neither am I teling you that you shouldn't do it. I was merely asking you if my assumption was correct.

And I would like to add that yes, I am a Christian, and as such would have every right to be offended if I was so inclined - though I am neither offended nor of such an inclination.

I don't particularly know of a passage that mentions walking, except the one in John's Gospel where Peter saw Christ walking across the river. There's a little bit in Psalm 91 that might be right for you, but other than that I couldn't name anything, I'm afraid.
    Well, it wasn't a fully correct assumption. I understand the reasons people go to Lourdes and I probably have a better understanding of Catholicism than most other faiths. I'm neither a believer or a non-believer and last year going there had a big impact on me. I used to be convinced that there was no God but then came to a different conclusion about life when I went.

If you were offended, that would be fine, but there is really no reason to be offended and I wouldn't go if anyone thought there was. The chaplain often asks people who are having troubles, if they are non-believers, or people who just want to go to Lourdes, to go with the group and learn more. The pilgrims themselves get the peace out of it (without the non-catholics there would probably be too few youth volunteers to let some of the pilgrims go) and the youth learn valuable lessons, whether they're religious or not. So of course people have the right to be offended, but also, I see it as more of a positive thing than anything that people who haven't necessarily been given the opportunity to understand a faith (I've grown up in a pretty prejudiced family, I won't deny that) are given the opportunity to. I realise it's not an RE lesson, but that's not what I'm looking for.

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    Well, it wasn't a fully correct assumption. I understand the reasons people go to Lourdes and I probably have a better understanding of Catholicism than most other faiths. I'm neither a believer or a non-believer and last year going there had a big impact on me. I used to be convinced that there was no God but then came to a different conclusion about life when I went.

If you were offended, that would be fine, but there is really no reason to be offended and I wouldn't go if anyone thought there was. The chaplain often asks people who are having troubles, if they are non-believers, or people who just want to go to Lourdes, to go with the group and learn more. The pilgrims themselves get the peace out of it (without the non-catholics there would probably be too few youth volunteers to let some of the pilgrims go) and the youth learn valuable lessons, whether they're religious or not. So of course people have the right to be offended, but also, I see it as more of a positive thing than anything that people who haven't necessarily been given the opportunity to understand a faith (I've grown up in a pretty prejudiced family, I won't deny that) are given the opportunity to. I realise it's not an RE lesson, but that's not what I'm looking for.
    OK.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a passage, but I can have a look for one if you'd like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    OK.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a passage, but I can have a look for one if you'd like.
    It's ok don't go to too much trouble for it (I presumed there may be some really obvious ones but I think they're harder to find than we originally thought), I'm going to e-mail the chaplain tomorrow and see what he says and how many more he needs because I'm struggling slightl. Thanks anyway. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    No, nobody knows that there definitely isn't a god. I don't think many atheists hold that there definitely is no god. How is atheism 'blindly following'? Following what?
    Richard Dawkins. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Richard Dawkins. :teeth:
    :adore:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.