Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to break it to my parents and friends watch

Hi, basically I failed my first year at uni, I just got my results now, and obviously I am gutted. Now, I need to tell my parents, but not sure how. I know they are going to be upset. Also all my mates passed...Gonna have to tell them at some point too.

ReputationRep:
    Your just going to have to tell them.
    They are your family and friends and they should support you through this.

ReputationRep:
    Cook dinner to your parents, and tell them over dinner.
    Buy your friends some beers and tell them.
    Work harder next year and pass.

Problem solved

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them, your family are the ones that will always stick with you no matter what, uni is a very stressful time, im sure they will understand that there is a lot of work and pressure involved and perhaps the first time you just havnt managed to adjust in time, im sure with extra support and now you know what to expect then you will be fine if you redo it/resit modules

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you can tell them how you're going to improve next year.

ReputationRep:
    Try..

"I got into uni and there was all this freedom for the first time ever! It was great, I went out all the time but I forgot to study. I only realised when it was too late. It's not because I'm unable to do the course, it's because I didn't prioritise my time well enough. I realise what I have to do now."

Or words to that effect

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same situation...... i failed my first year exams and am resitting them in august.....im doing anything i can do 2 pass! i told my parents and they are really strict and very education orientated but they supporting me so im sure ull b fine! just tell them and say you could do with support and you need them right now? Are u not going to resit your exams again ova the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Just swallow your pride and tell them. Everybody makes mistakes, learn from them and don't make the same mistake again next year!

ReputationRep:
    put it as your facebook status..

ReputationRep:
    If you have the option of resits, then you dont have to tell them but it would be silly not to.

First year is all about adapting to University life and the standards expected of you. They will understand that, and arent likely to think any less of you because of it.

If they ask you how your results were, just say that they werent what you were hoping for and you are going to resit.

(Original post by cpat)
    I am in the same situation...... i failed my first year exams and am resitting them in august.....im doing anything i can do 2 pass! i told my parents and they are really strict and very education orientated but they supporting me so im sure ull b fine! just tell them and say you could do with support and you need them right now? Are u not going to resit your exams again ova the summer?
    I can choose to resit in a month, but its really not enough time to revise over 200 lecture again...thanks for the help guys.

ReputationRep:
    what happens to you if you fail your first year in uni btw?

ReputationRep:
    what a nutter man, i thought it was gona be about a guy tryin to come out of the closet well let down

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    what happens to you if you fail your first year in uni btw?
    you die.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing that's going to make it easier for you. The best you can do is do it as soon as possible, just get through it, over it and try to talk to your parents openly, so they know why exactly you failed. They'll probably be worried that you got into some weird/ilegal activities or stuff like that. Be honest and do it as soon as posible, don't make this harder for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    you die.
    seriously what happens? Do you have to repeat the year cos u are pissed if you do

ReputationRep:
    well i had my results early june had 350 lectures to revise n im through wid all of them by the end of this week........im studying dentistry btw and bin working every day all day! but if u really dont wana resit its sumthing u just gotta do! ummm otherwise jus tell u rents like i said tell them you need support!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can choose to resit in a month, but its really not enough time to revise over 200 lecture again...thanks for the help guys.
    a month is more than enough!! U have a choice, and u choose to be the looser?? Come on, you dont want to disspoint your friends and family, or even yourself do you?! You should take the resit. Fisrt year is easy!

BTW I have a resit on thursday the week after! Im prob feel worst than you as i'm a self-funding international student , which means my dad paid £10900 each year for my course!

seriously what happens? Do you have to repeat the year cos u are pissed if you do
    I wish I could redo the year, no you either leave or resit.

ReputationRep:
    Resit the exam. If you fail that as well, then you have to repeat the year.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.